Akai GX 4000-D: Playing, but not fast-forwarding or rewinding

So, I think perhaps I'm being punished for getting worked up over frivolous things, but now my deck isn't fast-forwarding or rewinding. Play seems to be working fine.

First it was just rewind that wasn't going, now it's rewind and FF.

I'm nervous to remove the front cover as the deck was well-serviced, and I'm scared I'd throw off the azimuth, etc.

It may be worth pointing out that the action on the levers hasn't changed.

Update: It's started fast-forwarding again.

Last edited:
Well, your deck has two upper idler-wheels underneath the faceplate.
The right one is for fforward, it has rubber and common they crack or get glazed.
Left idler controls rewind.
You can take the faceplate off without making any damage to heads or adjustments.
But get a service manual first so you understand what's involved or find a repair-shop in your area.
If the deck was serviced recently, this shouldn't happen, just saying....
I mean the speed is not correct and now this problem..

Thank you very much.

I think maybe the speed was correct and I'm just being overly sensitive. Like it's scrape flutter I think, it sounds good when I play music through it.

But I agree that this particular issue should definitely not happen.

And other stuff shouldn't happen either.

You welcome for the help.
Did you try with a different tape when testing recording and playback ?
Personally I think the drive-belt is slipping or dirty fly-wheel & adjustment for the playback issue.
But the rewind & fforward the 2 upper idler-wheels has problems, most likely cracked or glazed.
Could be a small linkage adjustment for the fforward as that's very common.
Are you up to the challenge taking the faceplate off or a repair-shop instead ?

I think the guy who set it up should fix it. I'm concerned that if I open it up it could potentially cause issues in that regard.

Lucky me, the guy who serviced it a couple of months ago says he only covers within 30 days. So that means I get to fix it myself!

Big bet the guy did a botch job. Just enough to keep it going for over 30 days, if it then does break down, too bad! Anyways, you won't throw off the azimuth that easily. If you really don't feel like doing it, you'll have to get it repaired, but not by that guy!

Lucky me, the guy who serviced it a couple of months ago says he only covers within 30 days. So that means I get to fix it myself!

That was bad news, let me know if you want some help.
If the two idlers need re-rubber you are looking at $ 90.00 + shipping
And a few tools + patience & little bit time :)

I have the unit opened up right now.

Everything seems like it's ok and the idlers make contact, when I turn them manually they turn the big wheels. I've put the FF/RW switch in and everything seems to be clicking into place as I'd think it would...

Anything I should be doing/checking on?

Last edited:
That's good news, how is the rubber surface that goes against each reel-table ?
If you put the pinch-roller back on you can test the deck with tape loaded, but suggest not doing this in horizontal position.
Stand the deck up and see how the idler acts on rewind and fforward. :)

Yes, it got several pieces inside with friction and tension for fforward and rewind function, the idler-wheels between both reel-tables control that part.
So a nice clean rubber-surface is needed when using the deck loaded with tape.
Mount a 7 inch reel and fforward it's to the end, then rewind and see if the deck holds same speed all the way without slowing down or a complete stop.
And study the idler-wheels during this test.

The idler is also successfully spinning a white thing to its left on rewind, but it's not moving the reel itself at all

So the L-idler has good contact with the white plastic wheel and that spins OK but not the actual L-reel-table ?

Try this: when it's rewinding push the white plastic idler up against the upper metal-bar where the spring is attached and see if that make any difference (use a screw-driver and be careful) as tape is loaded and spinning.

Downloading service manual now.

I can see what's supposed to be happening. And with the tape off everything looks right, but with the tape in it's just not happening in RW

Back
Top Bottom