shootout of mostly 70's and 80's speakers for fun

esprits4s

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi,
My brother recently asked me for advice on a good set of sub $500 speakers for a game room he was setting up in his new house. After giving him a few suggestions, it prompted me to look for some of the speakers I had suggested (mostly highlights from the 70's, 80's, and 90's that I was aware of.) These are speakers that I wanted at the time, but couldn't really afford or have learned about since. None of them cost me more than a couple of hundred $$ (except for the Tyler Acoustics which are my current main speakers). Anyways, one night (when the rest of my family was out of town) I pulled them all out for a listening session. Here are my highly subjective, barely educated, and likely impacted by a few glasses of wine opinions. I posted this to the Cerwin Vega forums with little response. So I thought I'd repeat the post here before I drop the topic and move on (I doubt many of the other audio forums would appreciate this collection of speakers). Some of these speakers sets will go back on the market; although, I also plan to keep at least a couple of them.

----------------------------------------------------------

For anyone interested, I ran my own classic speaker runoff last night. Speakers tested were:

Tyler Acoustic D10
Dahlquist DQ20
Klipsch KG5.5
Definitive Tech DR7
Realistic Mach One
Bose 10.2 series II
CV VS150

Here's a picture of the ensemble (minus the DR7's):

speakerensamble_zps0d8888b0.jpg

The end result was that there were no losers. Each of these classic speaker sets were purchased because they represented the best of an era for their respective manufacturers (except the DT DR7's). They may not have been the manufacturer's best ever, but they were up there and are considered as great bang for the buck today by enthusiasts. If anything, my opinion of the pricey D10s suffered a little because the other speakers were so much fun to listen to. While I love the D10s, I realized that I could be pretty happy with any of these speakers.

The listening list included a broad range of music from classic rock to club, classical, pop, and everything in between. Songs repeated on each speaker set included:

Jennifer Warnes: Somewhere Somebody, Way Down Deep
Allison Kraus: New Favorite, Stay, When You Say Nothing At All
Supertramp: The Logical Song
Steve Miller Band: Rock'n Me
Dire Straights: Money for Nothing
Massive Attack: Angel, Man Next Door
Reina: No One's Going to Change You
Darude: Sandstorm
Tracy Chapman: Fast Car
Aaron Copeland: Fanfare for the Common Man
Wagner: The Ride of the Valkyries
Henry Mancini: Moon River
REM: Nightswimming
Eagles: Love Will Keep Us Alive, Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane

Plus a bunch of others as I thought of them...

Other audio equipment used:
Marantz AV7005 AV preamp
Marantz UD5007 disk player
Sherbourn 5/1500 5 channel amp, 200W into 8ohm, 300W into 4ohm

My intent was to pick a couple of these sets to sell, but I failed. I guess I need to listen to them some more :)!

My comments on each set:

Tyler Acoustic D10s: These are fantastic speakers. MTM arrangement with four 10" woofers. True full range speakers with tremendous range, accuracy, and imaging. These beasts are 6' tall and weigh 240lbs each. The woofers are powered by a built in 500W class D amp. I started the night with these to set the standard for the evening (and because they were already set up;)).

Dahlquist DQ20s: These were my primary speakers for about 10 years before I purchased the D10s. I first heard the DQ20's at an audio store way back in the early '90s while I was in college (Audio Asylum in Cambridge, MA). I ended up purchasing an entry level set of bookshelf Frieds, but the DQ's made a huge impression. I then bought this set in the early 2000's. The DQ20's are a fantastic set of speakers with amazing imaging. They present a 3d-like sound field that really makes you feel as if you are at a live performance. The woofers are in a sealed box, so the bass was accurate, but the low end frequency response was limited. They were no comparison to some of the bass heavy hitters on this list. FWIW, I bought these for about $300 back in 2004. I don't plan to ever sell them unless I come across a cheap set of DQ20i's or DQ30's.

Klipsch KG5.5: I first listened to these in my basement hooked up to a 35wpc NAD receiver (705). Despite all the positive reviews I had read, these speakers didn't seem very impressive. However, hooked up to the Sherbourn and in my primary listening space, these speakers came alive. More than a bit treble forward with accurate tight base (if not a little lacking compared to the other speakers in this list), they were very enjoyable. These speakers were fairly rough and one of them had something loose inside that vibrated enough to be noticeable with some songs. I will likely dig into these to see what is vibrating and then re-listen. I picked these up for $180 this year. These may end of being one of the sets that I sell.

Definitive Technology DR7: Another set I drooled over back in college that I picked up afterwards. These are ported bookshelf speakers that are not really comparable to the others on the list. Very nice bass for a bookshelf set. Not nearly as accurate as a higher end set of bookshelf or monitor. These were DT's entry level models in the late 90's and they sound like it. Great for smaller spaces though.

Realistic Mach One: I own a realistic STA-2000 and picked up these speakers as contemporaries for the receiver. These are relatively efficient with great bass down to the 40Hz range. Highs were a little rolled off and imaging wasn't great. However, these sounded fantastic with club / rock music. In many ways, they were the little brothers to the VS150s. These are keepers as well, if only to leave them hooked up to the STA-2000 for a great late 70's vintage audio pair. These were purchased for $200 this year.

Bose 10.2 series II: Bose, similar to CV, are a love it or hate it kind of speaker brand. I grew up with my father's set of 301's and 901's. For much of my early life, I thought that Bose were the cream of the crop! While in college, I actually took professor Bose's audio engineering course. So, although I have no illusions about Bose's place in the audiophile world, I have a soft spot for their classic speakers. While looking for a deal on a set of 901s, I came across these 10.2's for $200 from the original owner (classic theme: his wife was making him sell them). I've read that many consider the 10.2's to be the best consumer grade speakers that Bose ever sold (including the 901). For a speaker with an 8" woofer, I was impressed. The imaging was a far cry from the DQ20's, as should be expected with the traditional Bose use of reflected sound (in this case they call it "sound everywhere".) The sound stage was large, but inaccurate compared to the DQ20's. The bass from the song list above came through surprisingly well; although, no where close to some of the others in this list. Trebles were a little rolled off, which was a common theme for the night. While I might not pick them above any of the floor standing speakers in the above list, I could be quite happy with these and am on the fence about selling them. I may hold on to them until I buy a set of 901s and then keep whichever set I like more.

Finally, the VS150's: I first learned about CV back in the mid-90's when a friend brought a set with 12" woofers with him to college. I came close to buying a set multiple times over the years, but finally pulled the trigger recently on this set of VS150s. As I wrote above, in many ways, these felt like the more mature big brothers to the Realistic Mach One's. They are efficient, a bit treble forward, with tons of bass. Although, the VS150's extend further into the low frequencies than the Mach Ones. Imaging seemed to be their weakest point. When listening, it was hard to single out individual performers in the sound stage. However, these speakers were phenomenal with the rock and club music I auditioned. Also, they were quite impressive at high volumes. I went as loud as my ears could take, and these speakers didn't seem to even break a sweat. I paid $180 for these last month.

Anyways, this is just one man's opinion from a single night of listening so take it for what it's worth. I plan to pick up more 70's, 80's, and 90's era speakers to continue the comparison once I decide which from the current list to let go....

Regards,
-Gary
---------------------------------------------
So, the Cerwin Vegas are for sale, but only because they are so large. The Mach One's are staying (to mate with my Realistic STA-2000 receiver), the Bose 10.2 are staying until I compare them to a set of 901's. I plan to keep the DQ20's forever, and I'm on the fence with the Klipsch KG5.5's. In the meantime, I've picked up a set of Bose 901's and Dahlquist DQ10's, so another comparo is probably in the cards...

Last edited:
great right up and great collection!!! thank you for taking the time to do this.

your thoughts on the DQ20s match my thoughts on my DQ10s. full immersion in the sound. remarkable speakers.

the Tylers look very interesting, indeed!

Nice work, Gary. What are the speakers in the middle...wood grain bottom with black "top hats"? They look like my Kef 107's, maybe a little smaller...or a lot smaller, hard to tell.

great right up and great collection!!! thank you for taking the time to do this.

your thoughts on the DQ20s match my thoughts on my DQ10s. full immersion in the sound. remarkable speakers.

the Tylers look very interesting, indeed!

Yes, the Dahlquists are great. I hadn't listened to them in a couple of years because of the Tylers, but I was quickly reminded of why I bought them and don't plan to ever sell them. Eventually, I hope to have a dedicated listening room to leave them set up.

I'm looking forward to comparing the DQ20's to the mirror image DQ10's I just picked up. I purchased them from the original owner along with the original boxes and documentation in unrestored condition. He had them in storage for the last 20 years, so the woofer surrounds need to be replaced and it looks like the mids need attention as well as they are showing cracks in the surrounds.

Feel free to use me as a resource on the restoration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. If it wasn't so much work to bring all of these speakers out from their various hiding spots (it would be a bad idea to let my wife see them all collected in one spot;)), I would do this more often. It was a lot of fun.

Feel free to use me as a resource on the restoration.

Thanks! I will be definitely looking for advice. I'm not willing to send them out for the full Regnar treatment (that's a significant commitment $$$), so I'll be looking for the best DIY way to get them as close as possible to original condition.

I have 2 threads here on AK for the 2 resto projects i completed. Do a google search for "baco99 DQ-10" and You should find them. Any other Qs let me know.

No Polk, no Infinity...

I never claimed the list was exhaustive. I think that would be a challenge for any single person! The makeup of this list was largely circumstantial (purchased from a larger 'watch' list when I come across a reasonably priced set).

That being said, I would like to add a set of Polk SDA's or LS90's. I don't know as much about Infinity. Any particular models from that era that I should look for?

Others on my watch list: Carver Amazings, ADS L1590, KEF (need to research models), AR (need to research models), Def Tech BP20 (or some variant)

Several of these would likely cross over into a higher price range though (Carver Amazings, Polk SDAs), which starts to bring a long list of higher priced manufacturers into play: B&W, Klipsch Heritage, Magnepan, ... That's a slippery slope.

Last edited:
I owned a pair of Dahlquist DQM-9c that I bought new in the early 80's. They were awesome speakers and I parted with them while in dire financial straits. I could kick myself in the rear for that stupid move.

I never claimed the list was exhaustive. I think that would be a challenge for any single person! The makeup of this list was largely circumstantial (purchased from a larger 'watch' list when I come across a reasonably priced set).

That being said, I would like to add a set of Polk SDA's or LS90's. I don't know as much about Infinity. Any particular models from that era that I should look for?

Others on my watch list: Carver Amazings, ADS L1590, KEF (need to research models), AR (need to research models), Def Tech BP20 (or some variant)

Several of these would likely cross over into a higher price range though (Carver Amazings, Polk SDAs), which starts to bring a long list of higher priced manufacturers into play: B&W, Klipsch Heritage, Magnepan, ... That's a slippery slope.

Ha, just busting ur chops...Infinity's hey-day was in the 70's and 80's...some amazing stuff...same as the Polk...I like them both...Happen to be my favs...

KEF Wish List for esprits4s:

104/2
C80
Reference 3 or 4
LS50

Infinity Wish List for esprits4s:

Quantum Jr.
Kappa 6.1 through 9.1 (Series II, I believe)

you're welcome!
;)

(also, if you aren't a Barter Town subscriber yet, you should be...hint, hint, nudge, nudge....)

And how many of those speakers followed you home in the passenger seat of a Lotus Esprit S4?

Last edited:
First, awesome collection. Second, MAN YOU HAVE A LARGE SPACE TO WORK WITH! And yes I'm yelling for emphasis. Wow. Those "bad boy" 10's pop up here from time to time and seems many (most?) people love them. Look nice too.

I'm only going to comment on the Mach One, since I'm most intimate with them. Generally speaking, they're the least expensive to be had and with the VL mods really wake up. They won't, of course, compare to the D10's, but they are a far cry better than stock. Cost to upgrade is inexpensive and most people have loved the transformation.

When I talk about "general", not everyone finds that magic bargain, so I'll say "average street price" the Mach One tend to be the most plentiful and least expensive. Though I have to say, prices have been going up on ebay. I picked up a pair for $30 or $40 bucks. Had another pair given to me, and won't say what I paid for my first (2) pair.

I know that of all my speakers, the Mach One and Mach Two handled the most abuse, particularly with Action Movies (sans subwoofer). None of my speakers could handle the demands of bass like the Mach's, no bottoming out or over extension of the woofer.

Please do keep in mind I'm not saying these are upper class music listening speakers. There are better out there, but these really fill quite a bill for little dollars invested.

As for Infinities, I would love to get my hands on a pair of QLS1. Oh well.

Great write up!

Back
Top Bottom