holy c**p, 'sui tu-9900.

gogofast

Addicted Member
this is exactly what i was worried about. i didn't wanna hear the tu-9900 before handing it over to my friend. i bought a beat up 'sui tuna to restore and donate to a friend who needs one. after replacing some parts and broken glass, i just had to give it a listen....:no: now i'm thinking about bumping my current 7 gang technics s8, which is pretty awesome tuner, and keeping the tu-9900. finally can see what the fuss was all about. dang, this is crazy. makes me wonder how it can sound any better after a proper alignment and tuning.

That's almost exactly what I muttered the first time I turned my Mike Williams aligned tu9900 on. The most noticeable thing to me was the bass. I'd never heard decent bass from a tuner until the 9900 and I've had a lot of tuners come and go here over the years.
Now that you've heard one there's only one thing left to do. And nope I ain't parting with mine.

That's almost exactly what I muttered the first time I turned my Mike Williams aligned tu9900 on. The most noticeable thing to me was the bass. I'd never heard decent bass from a tuner until the 9900 and I've had a lot of tuners come and go here over the years.
Now that you've heard one there's only one thing left to do. And nope I ain't parting with mine.

i hooked it up to my main system, and i know i'm all too quick to jump the gun sometimes when i get excited...but this is just amazing. with a powered antenna, fm sounds better than any source in my system right now. in some aspects, it beats my sacd and vinyl. this tuner is really putting my speakers to work tonight.

i hooked it up to my main system, and i know i'm all too quick to jump the gun sometimes when i get excited...but this is just amazing. with a powered antenna, fm sounds better than any source in my system right now. in some aspects, it beats my sacd and vinyl. this tuner is really putting my speakers to work tonight.

Lol; Well it sounds like your friend isn't going to see a tu9900 now. I wouldn't go that far as to say it beats sacd's as fm is a compromised signal at best. Vinyl is a toss up on mine. A really strong signal can best my vinyl rig:yes:. Now if there was only something worthwhile on the airwaves to play through this great sounding tuner.

Lol; Well it sounds like your friend isn't going to see a tu9900 now. I wouldn't go that far as to say it beats sacd's as fm is a compromised signal at best. Vinyl is a toss up on mine. A really strong signal can best my vinyl rig:yes:. Now if there was only something worthwhile on the airwaves to play through this great sounding tuner.

lol, no, my friend is getting my techinics tuner. i had a feeling right away that 9900 is gonna get its own permanent place in my system.

in the fm tuner info website, there's a long list of mod for this tuner. has anyone done this? wonder how much improvement can be made.

I also think you're really going to like your TU-9900. I got one about a month ago that was in beautiful cosmetic shape and which had had the full Monty restoration done by Mike Williams. It had most of the general mods listed for the TU-9900 that is in the DIY section of FMTUNERINFO.COM site. The one thing missing was the changing of the fixed Dolby outputs converted to regular fixed outputs without the 25 uS Dolby pre-emphasis. Well, this weekend I just performed that chore as well as installing new gold RCA's for the fixed/variable outputs (the originals were a b&*^&@ to remove).

I have a large number of very good to great FM tuners and I will say the TU-9900 is soundwise the best of my herd. I totally agree also with your comments about the bass. Mike increased the size of the PS e-caps and the modern opamp replacement also helped here probably in my 9900. While not the absolute most sensitive or selective tuner I have, the sound quality on a good station is truly great.

I also think you're really going to like your TU-9900. I got one about a month ago that was in beautiful cosmetic shape and which had had the full Monty restoration done by Mike Williams. It had most of the general mods listed for the TU-9900 that is in the DIY section of FMTUNERINFO.COM site. The one thing missing was the changing of the fixed Dolby outputs converted to regular fixed outputs without the 25 uS Dolby pre-emphasis. Well, this weekend I just performed that chore as well as installing new gold RCA's for the fixed/variable outputs (the originals were a b&*^&@ to remove).

I have a large number of very good to great FM tuners and I will say the TU-9900 is soundwise the best of my herd. I totally agree also with your comments about the bass. Mike increased the size of the PS e-caps and the modern opamp replacement also helped here probably in my 9900. While not the absolute most sensitive or selective tuner I have, the sound quality on a good station is truly great.

thanks for your input. so those mods are really done to these tuners, huh? looked like a lot of work. only tuner mods i've done was on fisher tube receivers in the past.

good to hear your thoughts on sound impressions. another thing is the depth of the sound stage. it's amazing with certain songs. i was listening to some classical music now.

sounding great. listening to some jazz programs.

IMG_20140421_192851_520.jpg

pretty neat inside, too.
IMG_20140419_092512_052.jpg

Back
Top Bottom