The 1930's in America

Very cool photos,I look back at the family albums and wish all those old early mid 1900's photos could have been in colour.We've got photos that go back that far in the city of montreal with all the old cars as well.super cool find!!

This is fantastic. History almost forgotten by many, sadly...

Always loved color photography. When we consider that our "visible spectrum" is a tiny, limited window to the real world/universe, then...

Kodachrome is still a miracle...

Damthaing wouldn't load for me...Phooey...

Have they upgraded your internet to color yet? :D

Seriously, these are some good pictures. It's hard to imagine that this is the same time period and earlier than all of those family pictures. We have become so used to seeing everything from that period in black and white that it's hard to imagine the world being the same color as today.

Great post...the color images give a sort of life to the subjects....the faces could be from today as opposed to 70 years ago. The picture of the old man and the little girl on sidewalk is amazing...just so modern day looking.

Damthaing wouldn't load for me...Phooey...

Have they upgraded your internet to color yet? :D

Seriously, these are some good pictures. It's hard to imagine that this is the same time period and earlier than all of those family pictures. We have become so used to seeing everything from that period in black and white that it's hard to imagine the world being the same color as today.

Haha. Maybe they're still on 300 baud modems?:D

Clay, thank you. I love looking back into Americana.

No, I have Charter Communication's Hot-Shot Internet service, just for some reason my Wind Blows Ate computer didn't wanna download 'em.

I like this one. Composition, timing and story behind it are great.

Mothers still made clothes for the kids – from flour and feed sacks - as with these girls at the Vermont State Fair.

FSA_VT_Family_at_State_Fair.jpg

Yeah, my Mom made my sister a pullover shirt from a Horse Feed bag when she was a kid-my Sister LOVED it, since she was/is a Horse Freak.

Thank you for providing that link! It's so different from all the family albums that are in B&W. Color was there but as my folks said, when you saved to buy seed for the farm, you didn't think about color film. So different from the starkness of typical B&W photos of the time as well. It may not have been the best of times for many, but they found ways to be happy. You just had to be a little more creative to do it.

Christmas 1936 my Grandpa filmed his family using a colour film. I still have that one, it lasts some 10 minutes. But the colours are gone - they all turned into a red-violet.

Remarkable old photos,so,colorful,crisp,and lifelike.. Just like they've been taken today.
It's pretty astonishing how certain things have changed/come so far in a relatively short period of time.. My Grandma could vividly remember when the circus came/walked up through the Town (elephants too),although this was in the UK. Very interesting indeed.. Thanks for posting.

Color really changes the dynamics of photography or film. The series "World War II in Color" has the same effect on me as these photos. It brings reality of life to the screen or to the print.

Interesting stuff. My Grandfather was an Engineer for a Railroad and had a fairly decent living during the 30's. He never talked much about the depression to me. My Father was a WWII vet, and he said that the country changed drastically after WWII. He talked about the 30's quite a bit and how peaceful life seamed before Pearl Harbor. I remember him saying, "Most people didn't even have locks on their doors in the 30's." Well, that was his paradigm anyway.

Thanks for posting, OP.

Like most of us, I used to read Popular Science when I was a kid, back in the '50s and '60s. It had all the futuristic projections of what life would be like in the unimaginable, fantastical future...the "Year 2000". We would be living in domed cities, and going to work on Jetson's hovercraft.

Still waitin' for my hovercraft. :D

Instead, we live in the same houses, drive the same (ok, spiffier) cars to the same jobs doing a lot of the same things our parents did for a living. Other than technology, medicine, and the ability to go from New York to San Francisco in four hours, we really aren't living a life so very different than the one in those pictures.

I find that, somehow, comforting and reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom