LP Cleaning Brush, any recommendations?

For a couple of bucks more, I bought the Hunt EDA Mk 6 brush. IMO a much better brush for $10 more.

For a couple of bucks more, I bought the Hunt EDA Mk 6 brush. IMO a much better brush for $10 more.

$29.95 for this one vs. $14.75 for the Audio quest on Amazon. That makes it double the price. Is the Hunt twice as good?

$29.95 for this one vs. $14.75 for the Audio quest on Amazon. That makes it double the price. Is the Hunt twice as good?

Perhaps? I think I paid $25 for the Hunt at a local record store. I know its much nicer than a cheap Acous-tech carbon fiber brush I was using.

I wish the manufacturers would quit calling them 'cleaning' brushes. They don't 'clean' squat. They dust records, that's all. You clean them by scrubbing them in the sink or with a record-cleaning machine. You dust them before playing them. If your records are dirty, you need to clean them, and not with one of these dust brushes. If they are just dusty, then these brushes should work fine.

FWIW, I use the same Discwasher dust brush I bought in 1977. Works fine. No need to get all anal and obsessive about it, I think they're all good. They pick up dust. This is not rocket science.

EDIT: Of course, this is audio. It's hard for people NOT to be anal and obsessive. Some wear it like a badge of honor. :D

I wish the manufacturers would quit calling them 'cleaning' brushes. They don't 'clean' squat. They dust records, that's all. You clean them by scrubbing them in the sink or with a record-cleaning machine. You dust them before playing them. If your records are dirty, you need to clean them, and not with one of these dust brushes. If they are just dusty, then these brushes should work fine.

FWIW, I use the same Discwasher dust brush I bought in 1977. Works fine. No need to get all anal and obsessive about it, I think they're all good. They pick up dust. This is not rocket science.

EDIT: Of course, this is audio. It's hard for people NOT to be anal and obsessive. Some wear it like a badge of honor. :D

Hail.gif

Anal is the essence of the audiophilia
:)

The same thing rebranded is a couple bucks cheaper at Sleeve City, and I would rather support the indies...

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/sleeve-city-carbon-fiber-record-brush-p/dc-05p.htm

Yep, the cheaper the better. Don't pay for the brand name

Hold the Sleeve City brush with your left hand and touch a metal part of the arm with your right hand. You now have a grounded brush.

Thanks everyone! And I like the advise of supporting the local store, I believe I am going to visit my local record store tomorrow and pick up a brush.

I agree with Wigwam Jones. Spin Clean @ $125. Otherwise go digital. Brushes are good for, what? I don;t know.

AudioQuest brush was the first brush I bought. I stay away from It the fibers fall off over time and onto your records. I have the Carbon Fiber Record Cleaner Cleaning Anti Static Velvet Brush
http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Record...&qid=1398027466&sr=8-13&keywords=record+brush
the carbon fiber one is better than sleeve city only because the sleeve city one brush is missing some of the fibers were it's missing a section and you can notice it. I have not tried the Hunt, but the for the money I would save a little bit and order the one I linked you can shop around I got mine for 15 bucks. I now use it for my G.E.M dandy cleaning. Hope that helps. :music:

Last edited:
I agree with Wigwam Jones. Spin Clean @ $125. Otherwise go digital. Brushes are good for, what? I don;t know.

Also agree. If sound quality is even a remote reason for one to listen to vinyl the records need to be cleaned. Preferably with a RCM. Otherwise digital will trump vinyl all day. It's not just pops and ticks but you'll be missing a lot of detail, HF extension and have higher distortion with dirty records.

If you're just in it for the nostalgia or cheap record finds dust away!

I would agree with Wigwam Jones. I have been using the same cheap brush for the past forty years. Just also wash the brush occasionally!

Perhaps also to mind the saying: Keep records clean rather than keep cleaning them.

I have the same old Discwasher brush as well. So what record cleaning machines work without paying "stupid money." In other words, under $200 unless a bit more buys a great one.

Back
Top Bottom