Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

Is it normal to have a different offset on different speaker output pairs?

A: L=6.5 R=13.5 :yes:
B: L = 6.4 R=15.8 :banana:
C: L=7.0 R:15.9 :thmbsp:

Looking good otherwise!

Kenwood KR-7050

Both channels less than +/-10mv. Service manual states 1.0v :eek: which I do not believe to be right. Could be a bad scan, but the german section clearly says 0v

Kenwood KR-7050

Both channels less than +/-10mv. Service manual states 1.0v :eek: which I do not believe to be right. Could be a bad scan, but the german section clearly says 0v

1v would be catastrophic. I would follow the better scanned section. I was sitting in the break room in January and got excited I got a raise due to a hike in minimum wage, then I realized it was a bad jpeg printed and it said 2016, not 2015.:drool:

Kenwood KR-7050

No matter WHAT piece of audio gear you're looking at, DC on an audio output line is always an undesirable thing. Goal is always zerodotzerozerozero.

Great piece on DC offset! I checked my Kenwood KR9600 and A, B, C pairs measured 150mV left and 170mV right. I never knew I had a problem! I replaced the transistors and now I measure 7mV left and 17mV right. This Kenwood sounds more amazing then before! Thanks for your tips!

Yamaha RX-570 Stereo Receiver, Circa 1993. New Nichicon KS Series 10000 uf power caps. Will be recapping the rest of the receiver soon. Does anyone know how to get these numbers lower or should I just be happy with it?

Right Channel - 16.2 mv
Left Channel - 12.7 mv

I have no idea what you are getting at or what attitude you are referring to. If you're trying to educate me about servos or methods of reducing offset, I suggest you find an alternative target besides myself. Still, we're not having this conversation here. Please start a thread in the appropriate forum (I suggest DIY, but the Solid State forum would work) if you'd like to carry on so.

I have no idea what you are getting at or what attitude you are referring to. If you're trying to educate me about servos or methods of reducing offset, I suggest you find an alternative target besides myself. Still, we're not having this conversation here. Please start a thread in the appropriate forum (I suggest DIY, but the Solid State forum would work) if you'd like to carry on so.

It is your opinion that all amplifiers should measure zero volts on the terminals, on which you have received a response.

I thought we had the conversation....... DC measured on the amplifier terminals?
Incidentally, I can see that you take the liberty to write as you please....no further comments.

Trying to keep this thread on-focus, rather than to ramble on about hypotheticals. And saying that zero DC is ideal is different from saying that 'all amps should measure zero'. Of course they won't. But that's the goal. I don't think there's anything to argue about in that regard, but seems to me that we're fussing over semantics.

And as far as writing what I please, I try to keep things relevant and pleasant. But there's a bit of freedom associated with being a member for 12 1/2 years and supporting the site with an appreciable bit of my time and money. Not trying to dissuade you from contributing in any way that you are capable of, I just felt that a technical discussion might be better served in it's own thread (and I might be wrong about that...such things have been known to happen). Still, I'm sorry to see that you edited your previous post.

There is nothing wrong with trying to achieve perfection when it comes to minimizing DC offset. However, we are restricted by the time we have to spend to achieve it, not to mention the less than perfect replacement parts! I personally don't have the time to invest to get to zero offset, and my ears probably couldn't tell the difference between 0 and 7mV DC offset either, LOL! I'm just happy to have lowered it as much as I was able to in a relatively short period of time. More power to those individuals who can zero theirs!

Glad I found this thread and super stoked that I was able to adjust the dc offset on my Pioneer sx780 to both channels less than 3 mv from 138 left and 110 right. Not knowledgeable or comfortable with electricity but found a link on AK which made it easy for a newbie like me. I think the Optonica and the Technics EQ will be on hiatus until they are relocated, the Pioneer sounds great with controls set flat on everything I've played so far.

Measured DC offset for the first time on my Sansui 4000: ~10mv left and right.

Not bad!

Thank you Echo Wars for the great info as always and for always taking the high road.

This thread made me check my 2 vintage amps:
Optonica SM3636 14.2 mV on the Right, 15.9 mV Left (not too bad :D)
Optonica SM1616 24mV both channels (not much i can do against that though)

Back
Top Bottom