Sony ES CDP vs Sony 'regular' CDP- comments please?

cgutz

AK Member
Some time ago I replaced a TEAC 5 disc changer with a Sony CDP-CE315 I got cheap on ebay. Even on my modest system the Sony was a very noticeable improvement. Less harsh and better soundstage.

The Sony CDP has been acting up some and I have a comparable replacement in the wings. Typically these 1990-2000 era Sony carousels go for about $50.

Can someone with real experience comparing this type of Sony with a 80's - 90's era ES carousel CDP tell me if it would be worth spending a bit more for an ES? If so, would any ES series CDP changer be an improvement? Some of the ES changers seem to go for around $100 with shipping on the auction site. Some models go for much more.

I'm also a bit skittish as the lasers on these may be getting long on the tooth (the problem with my CE315). It is starting to have trouble playing some burned cd's. I'm not looking for one that plays mp3, just CDR.

My system is a Bell 6v6 tube amp from the early 60's powering Jensen 24 3-ways.

Thanks.

I have 3 ES changers early nineties vintage... 2x C75ES's and a C67ES... I'm well pleased with them well made and mine have had no issues have had them 3~yrs I guess for the one i've had the longest now.

I have a few Sony CDPs and they all sound good, but the ES models do have a noticeable edge. I think the transports in the ES models are superior as well, at least amongst the CDPs I have.

Single disk ES players will always be better than carousel. Forget about the cartridge models. IMO, the sweet spot for performance and price is the CDP-X55ES. As you have already noticed, anything with a "7" in the model number is pricey.

Single disk ES players will always be better than carousel. Forget about the cartridge models. IMO, the sweet spot for performance and price is the CDP-X55ES. As you have already noticed, anything with a "7" in the model number is pricey.

Why is that ?

Single players in Sony ES usually had better transports than the changers. And usually had less to go wrong. The Magazine changers didn't survive customer abuse well and could and did jam easily. The carousel changers usually had fewer issues as there was less to go wrong. Usually in Sony ES, 7 in the model number denoted higher models.

Single players in Sony ES usually had better transports than the changers. And usually had less to go wrong. The Magazine changers didn't survive customer abuse well and could and did jam easily. The carousel changers usually had fewer issues as there was less to go wrong. Usually in Sony ES, 7 in the model number denoted higher models.

I want a multi disk for convenience though I concur more could go wrong. Simpler is usually more reliable as in anything mechanical.

My experience with Sonys carousels (2) non ES have been trouble free for probably 20 yrs cumulative use. I also know several folk who had issues with the cartridge type (Non Sony).

If a good deal on a single ES came along, I may jump as suggest.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom