Bang & Olufsen 5000 system

Alright I just ordered a cap kit for speakers and receiver. Also the idle current trimmers and muting relay. All components suggested by beoworld member. A lot easier than going through Mouser. Getting excited!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these kits available?
Would be a lot easier than getting them individually.

Tony

B&O are beautiful and sound great! Grab that baby and have the car running when you leave so there is less time for anyone to change their mind.

B&O are beautiful and sound great! Grab that baby and have the car running when you leave so there is less time for anyone to change their mind.

It's safe at my house now! Been giving it much love and care. Haven't gotten to experience the sound as of yet but the day is coming soon I hope. It needs some tlc first. I've got that planned as well.

Hi faber. Still waiting on the parts I ordered from B&O forum member overseas. I have since removed the tuner and preamp board and cleaned both with simple green then isopropyl alcohol. They both cleaned up great! I was a little nervous with the cleaning procedure but the receiver has since been tested and still works. That was all done over a week ago. Don't won't to disassemble the unit again till I receive the parts. He also includes instructions for the recap, mute relay and bias pot replacement. Still excited.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a before and after of tuner board and just a after of preamp board. I see why he suggested a new muting relay on preamp pc. This relay had white like corrosion inside. I did clean up the contacts and now the volume works better. Got a new relay on the way.
50d40698e8f92fee460398be1bf78b64.jpg
63d3f3de85c72f778d5ec962785396ba.jpg
9ee4874e7789426d74e20e21d3e1d0d7.jpg
i love the satisfaction of cleaning boards.

Cleaning is always mor fun when you can see the difference you are making. Looks like tight quarters in there.

My wife just casually sent me a message telling me my parts from overseas showed up today. She just doesn't share in my passion lol. I'm offshore working but heading in late tonight. Can't wait to see what these caps look like!!

I can't believe someone wants to give you a B&O 5000 system and had put money in it and you're asking if you should take it??

No, I say have him send it to me.

Just kidding, enjoy a real nice unit and learn some things about it.

I can't believe someone wants to give you a B&O 5000 system and had put money in it and you're asking if you should take it??

No, I say have him send it to me.

Just kidding, enjoy a real nice unit and learn some things about it.

Thanks I will. I printed out the 86 page service manual and the users manual yesterday. My cap kit and other parts arrived yesterday. Just finished capping tuner board. Came out great! The existing solder joints on this system are in great shape. Compared to my same year rotel equipment....B&O does a much better job soldering IMO.

Tuner and preamp/muting boards recapped. Replacing that muting relay made a huge difference. Volume now works at all settings. Loving the sound quality. Now I only need the original owner to go up in his attic and find the other speaker. I offered to go up there and look. Time to power it down and continue with the recap.
9cebf0f9a4b985114c328ed423b9ce65.jpg

Thanks faber....this receiver is a joy to work on with all the plug-in connectors!

Modular is definitely easier to work on. Sounds like a well thought out and well made unit. Let us know how it all sounds when you are finished please. Oh, and more pics too of course.

Update on the beomaster 5000. Recap is almost complete. Waiting on two bipolar caps for preamp board. It has a cool onboard fan that uses two thermistors I believe that are attached to main heat sink. Tested fan earlier with heat gun and it's very quiet. Got some pics of the fan and the amp/ps board. Against my better judgement I disassembled the amp/heat sink to degrease and simple green clean the board. The transistors use metal clips to attach to heat sink. It went back together easier than I thought. Top middle of heat sink is part of fan control circuit. Anyway this receiver has been a joy to work on. I powered it up late last nite and adjusted the new idle trim pots to 11mv. This morning I connected to one S80.2 speaker to left then right channel and all sounded great. Getting close to wrapping this project up. The receiver will reside in master bedroom on my bedside table for mood music lol.
335b7d0099a5b6fb7d2ebc48a99f91a5.jpg
ab55792574eb9f67f4ab1cf17542fca5.jpg
8a9b03cb132b957d17efe5bb6e9e7d9b.jpg
0ecb5823423b0e2c71d4dc0d9934d1f0.jpg
c5061ebb1ce9d0d9a9e2fb407e93f5d8.jpg

You did re-grease the transistors, right?

I sure did. Mean green removes existing compound with no problem. Thank god because it's not fun cleaning those fragile mica sheets lol. Oh and the last two caps showed up earlier today. Two green nichicon muse bipolar. About to install them then button this thing up. The covers been off for quite a while. Can't wait to see it on the nite stand. Pics of that to follow.

Back
Top Bottom