Good Power Amp to Pair with MX-110Z?

Another thing to consider about the MX110 is that it doesn't like interconnect cables with moderate or high capacitance. It causes problems with high frequencies and premature distortion. So keep the out put cables short, unless you want to pay big bucks for audiophile cables which may not be the solution either.

How much did you pay for your MC240s? You've definitely put me at ease about having a lower wattage power amplifier, now it's just a matter of affording one haha.

And you're running them monoblocked, right? So you're getting 80 watts/channel?

In all honesty, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable running 82 dBW speakers with a 40 watt amplifier. While it may well serve most of the time, 40 wpc doesn't leave much room for error at the top and should you or anyone else crank it up, there is the strong possibility of the amplifier going into clipping which is particularly destructive to tweeters. Plus an elderly MC 240 isn't going to like it much either.

Furthermore, if your speakers are low impedance (ie 4 ohm), the case for SS is all the stronger as SS is better suited for heavy loads than tube.

Finally, McIntosh SS amplifiers like the MC 2200/2205, 2250/2255 are equipped with Power Guard circuitry which eliminate clipping altogether whereas tube amplifiers are not designed with PG.

A single MC 240 in reasonably good condition will run at least $2,000 - $2,500; more for nicer examples. Sure, nothing would be nicer than a pair of MC 240s but you're talking some serious bucks for a maximum of ~ 100 wpc. Your outlay would be a fraction of that for one of the SS amplifiers listed above - or less - if you're willing to accept one of the non-metered versions and have 200+ or 250+ wpc with an amplifier better suited to the task of driving those hungry speakers without complaint or worry.

One man's opinion.

Currently running my 110 with an MC 225. Wonderful combination with 100 + db speakers. Also run pair of MC 30's with the 110. Equally satisfying combo. Have used my Mc 7300 with the 110 but wasn't as happy with sound. I also have a C11 and prefer the MX.

We used to sell the Aragon 4004 and the Mcintosh 7270.

If you're looking for Mcintosh: I'd explore that amplifier.

Nothing wrong with the 4004, though; but the 7270 outsold it by a large margin. With the right speakers, either amplifier would shine.

How much did you pay for your MC240s? You've definitely put me at ease about having a lower wattage power amplifier, now it's just a matter of affording one haha.

And you're running them monoblocked, right? So you're getting 80 watts/channel?

Nope, stereo. I have stacked Quad ESL 57s- 4 of them. Believe me, a 240 or 275 will be plenty to run your loudspeakers. I'm not a huge fan of the McIntosh solid state sound. Matter of fact, I would prefer your Aragon over most SS Mac. That's a fact. Mac tubes, different story. And I'm sticking to it no matter what the lab and spec guys say.

Back
Top Bottom