MAC C20 as match to MC250?

joekapahulu

Hi, Live in HI and have opportunity to buy a C20 in original unmodified condition for a decent price (it seems) off Ebay. I know its an older unit, tubed. I am thinking it could be a good mate to my MC250 which Terry D updated for me. I am also thinking if it is and I can get for a good price then I send to Terry for his magic and I have a piece for the rest of my life. Anyone familiar with these units and can comment on them? Thanks for all input.

FWIW - As far as I'm concerned, an MX 110 + MC 2505 are an excellent combo; I would imagine a C 20 (close cousin to the MX 110) & MC 250 (electrical twin to MC 2505) should fare equally well.

You're right, you would be set for a very long time.

What speakers are you planning to use?

c2

Currently using Ohm Walsh 2-100s3s and Spend or S3\5. I like to change based on music choice and when listening. Also looking at getting a higher wattage Mac amp, maybe 2125, 22**. Keep reading that the Ohms like higher power/current and curious about more modern equipment so also pondering the way to go. I do like the Mac sound of both earlier pieces and more modern. A bit of a dilemma. Figure I will have a vintage system in one room and a modern in my office/2nd bedroom. Wife is OK on that.

MC 250 is an Autoformer amplifier designed for 4 ohm load, no sweat there.

The remaining concern is the sensitivity of the loudspeakers. If they are around 90 dB/W/m or greater, you should be okay in most applications with the 50 wpc of the MC 250.

In reality, it should be good for 65 wpc - especially if updated and freshened by Terry.

I have a 2505 to drive my head phones and a pairs of remote speakers. I got it 1970 as I remember and except for issues with the speaker on and off stitch, a few light bulbs and cleaning controls and input jacks has been faultless. If you are concerned about power get a 2105.

Back
Top Bottom