MC2205 Meter "Ticking"

VintagePlus

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Strange issue with my 2205. Every time either meter moves it makes a tick sound through the speakers. I'm going to be recapping it soon. Any suggestions to what might be the reason for this annoying problem?

Strange issue with my 2205. Every time either meter moves it makes a tick sound through the speakers. I'm going to be recapping it soon. Any suggestions to what might be the reason for this annoying problem?

Pretty sure there is a 2205 rebuild work-list floating around the mac section, and several rebuild diaries. It's more than just the caps....

When I took my 2205 to the shop, both meters had to be cleaned and repairs done to the driver boards, there are also the gold edge connectors for the boards, or at least they should be gold edge. Pretty sure there are edge connectors......... can't hurt to clean the connectors....

Is it the R channel that always fails over time?? There is a fix. The lights also need some love, probably new bulbs while you are in there, not all bulbs are the same MTBF.

Is it the Power Switch that is un-obtanium?? Maybe someone has made a new batch since last it came up.

I think Gregory did a pretty good Diary of his 2205 rebuild effort....I haven't been on the board for months, but I'm petty sure Gregory is around somewhere.

Hello !

Do you see any small moovement of the both meters without music ? :scratch2:

Fairly common for the meters to go flakey over time. That's mostly a couple internal screw posts that corrode and cause intermittent contact.

meter-posts.jpg

The ticking is a new one on me though. Normally, they'll just freeze on start up and start working if you cycle the speaker switch.

Good excuse for a general cleanup while you're at it. The blue gel starts to go brown over time too and should probably be replaced.

Try searching the McIntosh folder for user name "Gregory". I'm pretty sure he had a real decent write up on the meters. I may have stolen his pic too ... <G>

Found it! And yes, I did!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=334027

Last edited:
I do have that issue too but quite rarely where the right meter stick and a quick switch of the speaker switch brings it back.

With the gains on full, both meters move around a quarter inch and tick through the speakers.

ok
What speaker are you using with it ? I think that you have very high efficiency tweeters .....

I know this problem on early MC2205 . This phenomenon is canceled by a modification on meter driver board (nothing in regards with recaping !):yes:

Hello Vintageplus

I am not saying that the trouble is coming from the speakers but it depend of the efficiency of the speakers if you can hear it or not but the trouble still exist !

I think I have the solution to your trouble . Can you do solder ?

I'm still wondering about the "gains on full" part. Wouldn't want to do that here unless I was wearing industrial silencer headphones and was at least a block away ... <G>

Wonder if switching the input level would help? Big difference in gain - I always ran mine at 0.75v which put the system at 100+db with the gains at about 1 o'clock. Much better detail than using the 2.5v setting with my setup. Just be sure to turn it down first.

I'm still wondering about the "gains on full" part. Wouldn't want to do that here unless I was wearing industrial silencer headphones and was at least a block away ... <G>

Wonder if switching the input level would help? Big difference in gain - I always ran mine at 0.75v which put the system at 100+db with the gains at about 1 o'clock. Much better detail than using the 2.5v setting with my setup. Just be sure to turn it down first.

If you have the gain structure of you system set up properly, it doesn't really matter what setting you are using....

There is absolutely no sonic difference between the .75 and the 2.5V settings, it is more likely to do with you pre-amp and where the sweet spot is, or something similar....its not amplifier....

If you are using a McIntosh pre-amp such as a C32,33,34 with a MC2205 and speakers which are around 90db/1watt/1m then the 2.5V setting with the gains on full is optimum for good gain structure....

Once you move into using non McIntosh pre-amps and things like EQ processors then you may need to take a different approach to you gain setup with your amp....

MC2205, gains at 50% on the .75V setting gives you approx 1.5V which will work with a lot of non Mc pre-amps......

Just because the gains are on full, it doesn't mean it will be too loud, or you'll blow speakers up, you can still use the volume control....:thmbsp:

Gains at half, 3/4, or what ever does not restrict the power of the amplifier, all it does is change the amount of voltage it takes to reach full power.....

So the issue only happens when something is plugged into the inputs on the amp. When nothing is plugged in all is well. Plus when the right gain control is maxed both meters bounce together. If only the left meter is maxed, nothing happens. I made a video but can't figure out how to post to YouTube.

Download Windows Movie Maker to edit and compress your video for You Tube. You can also upload your video to You Tube with it. It couldn't be easier.

I'm having the exact same problem. Have you had any luck with fixing this? My MC2205 is completely recapped. Just noticed this a couple weeks ago. I thought it was my CD player, but then realized it happens even when phono is selected.

Here is a video of the symptoms: https://youtu.be/lQ0A1s-MV7c

To be clear, no source is running when I took the video. The video shows the meters moving and a ticking noise corresponding with the meters moving.

Also, the meter moves without any source only if set to "Watts".

Last edited:
Is the meter board number 044624 ?

I hope the OP doesn't mind me taking over his thread, but the answer to this question in my case is yes. I would love to hear what the mod is to fix this problem. Strange how it just appeared recently.

Hello !

I think that the best way would be to send me your meter board then you have not to touch anything .

This trouble does exist with MC2125 and MC2205 and I did it not very often

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom