New McAire - good reasons to buy?

bg3009

I am looking at the new McAire and trying to find reasons why I should buy it. It seems to be more like a mini stereo with AirPlay capabilities. Unless I am reading it incorrectly, you can't connect an iPad directly to it.

None. But, I'm a stereo luddite and don't twit or faceplant. What's AirPlay? Analog forever!! :thmbsp::yes:

Yes, you can connect an iPad to it using the rear panel UBS connection and your iPad multipin cable. McAire will put out a 1 amp charging current.

Why buy? Great sound a great way to enjoy iTunes.

Thanks,
Ron-C

I would love to have this. The problem is at $3k it's an awful lot of money for something that would be a 2nd or 3rd music system for most of us. An Apple TV, a decent integrated amp, and a pair of speakers will do the same thing for a lot less...and most of have that stuff already. OK so it won't have the seamless integration and the meters..and not as elegant....

On second thought it would be awesome!

I am sure it will be an offered alternative to those boxes from "the Mountain" in MA.

I just use an apple TV HD on my 2 channel rig fed apple lossless from my imac. The apple Tv is $99.

Yes, you can connect an iPad to it using the rear panel UBS connection and your iPad multipin cable. McAire will put out a 1 amp charging current.

Why buy? Great sound a great way to enjoy iTunes.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks for the reply Ron. Will we be seeing this technology built into the next gen Mac pre-amps? i am very much analog butntheres no escaping the digital future and its only a matter of time.

Why stop at 1A for the newer iPads as its going to take longer to charge. won't be using iTunes though as it doesn't have great playback. The best would be to try the FLAC player for the iPhones/iPads. And of course, the top of my wish list is to have the AP1 fixed.

NuVintage, I am using an AppleTV with an outboard DAC. The problem is when I have to fire up the TV as well. Because of the way the McAire works, McIntosh could have added a display with track info and play time on it. Hmmmm

Well I just heard it at a local dealer an hour ago and it sounds awesome. Blows away the MXA 60 in all aspects. I think the iPad/iPod connector is the weakest way to go; it also has wireless and LAN connectivity, along with USB from any compatible source. And it looks just amazing. I agree that it is hard to justify the cost against other suggested configurations, but that can be said about so many McIntosh products. We know we love them despite cost.

The spec sheet does not disclose amp power. Anybody know? It played reasonably loud with no distortion or fatigue.

Actually, McAire is wireless as long as the sources operate in the iTunes environment and you have a wireless modem, which is fairly huge. Consumer response has been much stronger than anticipated so there you go!
If you want to play all day then the USB iDevice input will slow charge whatever model you connect to it.

Thanks,
Ron-C

So, does the McAire have a DAC to take in the iTunes digital stream, or is it relying on iTunes/device for the DAC?

Yes, the McAire has a built in DAC. For Apple's Airplay the digital file is streamed to the device, where the device converts it to analog.

The Apple TV and the Airport Express also have built in DACs, but can be bypassed and paired with a downstream DAC of your choice.

Ron,

Why does it just say "McAire" on the glass panel? On the website and manual it also says "McIntosh" which looks a lot better. It looks so strange without it, like its a knock-off or something.

I purchased one and came without the McIntosh logo and was told by corporate that going forward new ones will have it
These original models might be sought after down the road

I purchased one and came without the McIntosh logo and was told by corporate that going forward new ones will have it
These original models might be sought after down the road

I would be quite unhappy with this. ...Why would they ship these without proper badging? ...It's almost as if they don't reaalllly want to identify it as a true McIntosh product. ...If I paid $3k for one only to find that units which ship weeks later bear the full McIntosh label, I would insist that they replace my faceplate.

As for collectibility of the earlier units... I don't really buy it. In fact, considering that these use as their primary means of signal input a very time-limited wifi technology, I doubt any of them - with or without McIntosh labeling - will have much resale value in just a few years time.

I would be quite unhappy with this. ...Why would they ship these without proper badging? ...It's almost as if they don't reaalllly want to identify it as a true McIntosh product. ...If I paid $3k for one only to find that units which ship weeks later bear the full McIntosh label, I would insist that they replace my faceplate.

As for collectibility of the earlier units... I don't really buy it. In fact, considering that these use as their primary means of signal input a very time-limited wifi technology, I doubt any of them - with or without McIntosh labeling - will have much resale value in just a few years time.

I feel that with a little more product engineering, this could be a great product. It starts with proper badging, a dot matrix display, nice status indicators for wifi signal, AirPlay acquisition etc and a USB port that puts out a healthy current to charge up current and future iDevices quickly. Back in the day when McIntosh put in a headphones/ monitor amp into their preamp, it was Beefy. You got products that still are good in today's digital age. Mc may make products that they think are moving, but my friends and I voted with our wallets. Seriously, this is yet another time when McIntosh is leaving money on the table.

NuVintage, I am using an AppleTV with an outboard DAC. The problem is when I have to fire up the TV as well.

I might be misinterpreting what you're saying so apologies in advance if I'm being pedantic, are you saying you have to turn on the TV to use your Apple TV? I don't even have video connected to my Apple TV, I just push music via airplay from my computer or usually use my smartphone as the remote.

Rolltide, yes you and every other iTunes user knows that the music storage device is where all of the content and information about what you are playing is.
There is no need to display this on the face of the McAire since it is already known.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Last edited:
I might be misinterpreting what you're saying so apologies in advance if I'm being pedantic, are you saying you have to turn on the TV to use your Apple TV? I don't even have video connected to my Apple TV, I just push music via airplay from my computer or usually use my smartphone as the remote.

That's why Apple makes the airport express as a simple Airplay device with no display. Majority of the Apple TV users do connect a display and would like to see information and cover art. I could live without cover art though.

Most of such setups have the media residing in a central location and I know a growing number of people put it in a Drobo or similar device. Looking at the product literature, I am assuming the McAire can access a DAAP server without a iDevice connected. To be able to browse files and look up setup information etc, you can't workaround the display.

So, I just picked up a McAire. I've lusted after Mcintosh gear since I was in high school, and finally took the plunge. I was picking between the MXA60 and the McAire. Nobody in my area had either to demo, so the purchase was totally sight unseen. All I can say is WOW, I couldn't be happier! It's gorgeous, built like a tank, and has a full sound that fills my office/spare bedroom with plenty to spare.
edac921ea9167777ec850b1017b334fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just looking at this at the Magnolia Design Center in Austin today. Nice piece. Not something I can really use anywhere, but nice nonetheless.

I would think that the next step up from this would be a nice pre-owned MAC6700 with a nice set of small bookshelf speakers or even some small towers.

Back
Top Bottom