Mcintosh tuners - Way overrated?

jlovda

Things I loved from the 60's and 70's
Subscriber
There is a thread in the FM tuner Yahoo board that really seems to pan Mac tuners. I must admit one "expert" started most of the negative opinions. I am wondering, from members here that own multiple tuners (some not Mac), Where Mac tuners stand in terms of sound, not just specs?

There is a thread in the FM tuner Yahoo board that really seems to pan Mac tuners. I must admit one "expert" started most of the negative opinions. I am wondering, from members here that own multiple tuners (some not Mac), Where Mac tuners stand in terms of sound, not just specs?

I read with great amusement Mac bashers threads.. reminds me of my neighbor who has a Porsche 911 in the 70`s and the other neighbor was telling him that his new Mazda RX7 is so much better than that piece of crap of Porsche :)

Concerning the tuner, I only listened once to a mac tuner but found it perfectly fine and the owner loved it.

While I'm no expert on Mac Tuners, I have learned that in order to evaluate any high quality tuner, the amp and speakers must be up to the task. When I connect my Magnum Dynalab tuner to my NAD Preamp/Tuner and Audio design power amp it sounds good of course, but not as much better than the NAD Tuner as one might expect. When Played through my Bryston Integrated amp, It's in a whole different league than the NAD. I'm sure I would get similar results with some of the better MAC tuners.

Don't use the spec's as a guide either. The Tuner section of the NAD has comparable specs to the Dynalab. In fact, the Tube hybrid audio section of the Dynalab has far more distortion than the NAD, Yet there is no comparison in terms of SQ or RF performance.

From what I have read, there are at least some Mac Tuners that do appear to very good performers (and great lookers), but if your going to connect them to a worn out vintage receiver and speakers, you will never hear its potential....so don't bother! For those interested in them, and who have transparent enough equipment, check out specific models, and take all reviews with a grain of salt.

Let's put it like this. McIntosh tuners are the reference by which all other tuners are judged. Period. I've owned MR65B MR71, MR73, MR74, and MR77 - all of them excellent. I've also owned MX110, MX112 and MX117 tuner preamps as well as MAC1700 and MAC1900 receivers - again, excellent tuners.

Some will argue that the MR78 is the end all be all in FM tuners. I currently listen to a Kenwood KT-8300. I enjoy it immensely. Yet, I'm not naive enough to think it's an MR78 . . .

Let's put it like this. McIntosh tuners are the reference by which all other tuners are judged. Period. I've owned MR65B MR71, MR73, MR74, and MR77 - all of them excellent. I've also owned MX110, MX112 and MX117 tuner preamps as well as MAC1700 and MAC1900 receivers - again, excellent tuners.

Some will argue that the MR78 is the end all be all in FM tuners. I currently listen to a Kenwood KT-8300. I enjoy it immensely. Yet, I'm not naive enough to think it's an MR78 . . .

Yeah I'm inclined to think these guys are just McIntosh bashing and talking horse shit......

My MR78 is hands down the best tuner i have ever heard, I listen to a lot of radio, I have had many many tuners, I'm not getting into tuner bashing and talking about what tuners I think the MR78 beats....but I am not likely to get another tuner, the MR78 is where it all ends for me......

jlovda,

I am one of the moderators in the Yahoo FM Tuner Group: That "expert" is known in our group to have an intense dislike of anything McIntosh, particularly McIntosh tuners. :pity:

He has stated in previous posts he had an MR77 that was "gone through" and "aligned" by a McIntosh-certified tech, but AFAIK, he has never ID'd the tech. :screwy:

And he has written numerous times this "gone through" MR77 was a sub-par tuner with mediocre audio quality compared to other tuners he has listened to. He is partial to Sherwood, JVC, and several British tuners, and I believe his current "reference" is a Roksan Caspian tuner (http://roksan.co.uk/roksan/products/no_35/doc/d_35_1.pdf).

My own experience with M77 tuners has been the exact opposite of this individual, so I believe he either has a hidden agenda or he had a very poor sample of an MR77 that was not adequately "gone through" and "aligned" by his supposedly McIntosh-certified tech. :sadwave:

As for the second part of your question, my permanent home is in a remote area of the Blue Ridge Mountains that does not get any off-air TV signals, but with an APS-13 and an antenna amp, I can select from a variety of college radio stations located in TN, NC, and VA.

I currently have over 20 tuners I can pick from at home (most listed at http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/6137.html). Other tuners I have had in my system since the 1970's but did not keep include:

Accuphase T-100 (unmodded)
Accuphase T-101 (unmodded)
Adcom GFT-1A (unmodded)
Amber Model 7 (unmodded)
Crown FM1 (unmodded)
GAS Charlie the Tuner (supposedly set up by the great JB himself)
Kenwood KT-815 (unmodded)
Marantz 10B (unmodded)
Marantz 20B (unmodded)
Marantz 120B (unmodded)
Magnum Dynalab FT-101A (unmodded)
McIntosh MR73 (unmodded)
McIntosh MR77 (Modaferri updated)
McIntosh MR78 (updated but no significant mods)
McIntosh MR78 (Modaferri modded & updated)
Mitsubishi DA-F20 (unmodded)
Nakamichi 430 (unmodded)
Perreaux TU-3 (unmodded)
PS Audio ST-1 (unmodded)
Quad FM3 (unmodded)
Quad FM4 (unmodded)
Sansui TU-919 (unmodded)
Setton TUS600 (unmodded)
Sequerra Model No. 1 Broadcast Monitor (unmodded)
Sony ST-5000F (unmodded)
Sony 730ES (unmodded)
Tandberg 3001A (unmodded)
Technics ST-9600 (unmodded)
Technics ST-9030 (unmodded)
Yamaha CT-1010 (unmodded)

In my system, to my ears, the best sounding of all of these tuners was and is the McIntosh MR74. Mine has been was refurbished by both McIntosh and Terry D about 10 years ago and it is now again at Terry's for a capacitor upgrade and re-alignment. I did not find the MR73 or the MR77 or the MR78's to sound as good as my MR74. I have not listened to an MR80 as I believe it has too many issues relating to the presets. However, I must admit I am curious about how good the MR88 is, but I'm not willing to spend that much when I have so many other good tuners. :music:

After the MR74, I also like the sound of (in no particular order) Bill Amon's modded Denon TU-800, the Marantz ST17U (unmodded), the Marantz 125 (unmodded), the McIntosh MX117 (McIntosh rebuilt, and soon to see Terry), the Pioneer F-91(unmodded), the Scott LT-112B (unmodded), Sony ST-333ESXII (unmodded), Punker X's modded Sony XDR-F1HD, and Punker X's modded Yamaha T-85.

If you want my extended thoughts on the MR74 and other McIntosh tuners I have listened to for extended period (NOTE: you will need a Yahoo account to open these links), click on http://yhoo.it/1s9gm7R, http://yhoo.it/1uMRV3E, http://yhoo.it/XmhI3G, and http://yhoo.it/WQwa4a.

After I completed my research on McIntosh tuners for these posts, I penned an article for The Absolute Sound on the history and development of the MR78 that was subsequently republished in McIntosh .... For the Love of Music ....

As always, YMMV, but I really do like my MR74. :cool:

jlovda,

I am one of the moderators in the Yahoo FM Tuner Group: That "expert" is known in our group to have an intense dislike of anything McIntosh, particularly McIntosh tuners. :pity:

He has stated in previous posts he had an MR77 that was "gone through" and "aligned" by a McIntosh-certified tech, but AFAIK, he has never ID'd the tech. :screwy:

And he has written numerous times this "gone through" MR77 was a sub-par tuner with mediocre audio quality compared to other tuners he has listened to. He is partial to Sherwood, JVC, and several British tuners, and I believe his current "reference" is a Roksan Caspian tuner (http://roksan.co.uk/roksan/products/no_35/doc/d_35_1.pdf).

My own experience with M77 tuners has been the exact opposite of this individual, so I believe he either has a hidden agenda or he had a very poor sample of an MR77 that was not adequately "gone through" and "aligned" by his supposedly McIntosh-certified tech. :sadwave:

As for the second part of your question, my permanent home is in a remote area of the Blue Ridge Mountains that does not get any off-air TV signals, but with an APS-13 and an antenna amp, I can select from a variety of college radio stations located in TN, NC, and VA.

I currently have over 20 tuners I can pick from at home (most listed at http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/6137.html). Other tuners I have had in my system since the 1970's but did not keep include:

Accuphase T-100 (unmodded)
Accuphase T-101 (unmodded)
Adcom GFT-1A (unmodded)
Amber Model 7 (unmodded)
Crown FM1 (unmodded)
GAS Charlie the Tuner (supposedly set up by the great JB himself)
Kenwood KT-815 (unmodded)
Marantz 10B (unmodded)
Marantz 20B (unmodded)
Marantz 120B (unmodded)
Magnum Dynalab FT-101A (unmodded)
McIntosh MR73 (unmodded)
McIntosh MR77 (Modaferri updated)
McIntosh MR78 (updated but no significant mods)
McIntosh MR78 (Modaferri modded & updated)
Mitsubishi DA-F20 (unmodded)
Nakamichi 430 (unmodded)
Perreaux TU-3 (unmodded)
PS Audio ST-1 (unmodded)
Quad FM3 (unmodded)
Quad FM4 (unmodded)
Sansui TU-919 (unmodded)
Setton TUS600 (unmodded)
Sequerra Model No. 1 Broadcast Monitor (unmodded)
Sony ST-5000F (unmodded)
Sony 730ES (unmodded)
Tandberg 3001A (unmodded)
Technics ST-9600 (unmodded)
Technics ST-9030 (unmodded)
Yamaha CT-1010 (unmodded)

In my system, to my ears, the best sounding of all of these tuners was and is the McIntosh MR74. Mine has been was refurbished by both McIntosh and Terry D about 10 years ago and it is now again at Terry's for a capacitor upgrade and re-alignment. I did not find the MR73 or the MR77 or the MR78's to sound as good as my MR74. I have not listened to an MR80 as I believe it has too many issues relating to the presets. However, I must admit I am curious about how good the MR88 is, but I'm not willing to spend that much when I have so many other good tuners. :music:

After the MR74, I also like the sound of (in no particular order) Bill Amon's modded Denon TU-800, the Marantz ST17U (unmodded), the Marantz 125 (unmodded), the McIntosh MX117 (McIntosh rebuilt, and soon to see Terry), the Pioneer F-91(unmodded), the Scott LT-112B (unmodded), Sony ST-333ESXII (unmodded), Punker X's modded Sony XDR-F1HD, and Punker X's modded Yamaha T-85.

If you want my extended thoughts on the MR74 and other McIntosh tuners I have listened to for extended period (NOTE: you will need a Yahoo account to open these links), click on http://yhoo.it/1s9gm7R, http://yhoo.it/1uMRV3E, http://yhoo.it/XmhI3G, and http://yhoo.it/WQwa4a.

After I completed my research on McIntosh tuners for these posts, I penned an article for The Absolute Sound on the history and development of the MR78 that was subsequently republished in McIntosh .... For the Love of Music ....

As always, YMMV, but I really do like my MR74. :cool:

I can help you, those of us who have a serviced MR 80, can attest to it being as good as an MR 78......there I said it....and that tuner guy is full of ------------ he has got serious issues. Mac tuner ARE what other tuner should be judged by.....really.

There are three versions of the MR78 and I like the last one the best which I have. Very nice sound.
My MR88 does analog + HD better than the 78 but the 88 will not have the unique sound that analog FM has. MR88 is taught and deep, more like a digital file.

thanks,
Ron-C

Right, se we can see here that its all subjective really, a matter of personal preference....
My MR78 is a generation 3 (latest version).....

I also have a MR80, and I personally feel this doesn't have the lush deep sound that the MR78 has, I mean the MR80 is good, even exceptional, but i just prefer the MR78 which is why its in my main rig.....

Good info in the thread, and all fair comments.....

The MR78 is one of the top 5 tuners ever made, if not the top, so says Michael Fremer and I totally agree. Owned one for many years along with a Mac pre and power amp, and listening to uncompressed FM through this rig was holographic. Wish I still had them, but life goes on.

Martin

I don't have a lot of experience with the ultra high end tuner world, and we're talking strictly tubes here, but having had a great many Scott, Fisher, Eico, and Sherwoods through here, all professionally rebuilt and aligned . My one foray into the the upper bracket was an Accuphase T-100. An MR71 replaced that and even though Terry Dewick tweaked out both the MR71 and my MX110Z, I've settled on the latter. It's 95% of the MR71. We still have CBC Windsor broadcasting some quality stuff.

Let me ask you isn't a tuner simply an antenna that captures the signal and feeds it to the pre amp, amp? Isn't the amp and speaker combination that will make the difference? Of course all at the reception level.

tuners

i have had yamaha, sony, pioneer and marantz. i have had two macs. not in the same continent, let alone ballpark. the macs are that much better in all regards.

peter

Mc bashers are a cranky bunch. ...Could never figure out where that comes from. I just listen/enjoy/ignore.

There are three versions of the MR78 and I like the last one the best which I have. Very nice sound.
My MR88 does analog + HD better than the 78 but the 88 will not have the unique sound that analog FM has. MR88 is taught and deep, more like a digital file.

thanks,
Ron-C
Ron:
Thanks for the comment. Do you know the MR78 serial numbers that separate the three versions?

I believe much criticism of McIntosh in general stems simply from being McIntosh.

**Incidentally I'm eagerly expecting my MR 78 today! :banana: **

8/01/2014 - Friday
4:04 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

PITTSTON, PA

"On FedEx vehicle for delivery" is one of the sweetest phrases in the audiophile language! :D

Last edited:
I believe much criticism of McIntosh in general stems simply from being McIntosh.

**Incidentally I'm eagerly expecting my MR 78 today! :banana: **

8/01/2014 - Friday
4:04 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

PITTSTON, PA

"On FedEx vehicle of delivery" is one of the sweetest phrases in the audiophile language! :D

I love it when I see that when I am expecting a package. you're right, best five words in the english language.

Ron:
Thanks for the comment. Do you know the MR78 serial numbers that separate the three versions?

I recall the earlier ones begin with "AD" and the later ones begin with "CG".

Didn't know there was a third one.

I've got several "AD" ones.

It's hearsay at this point, but the repair tech we had doing our alignments and repairs liked the earlier ones better, referring to the "CG" ones as "Cleaning the Garage" models.

Never noticed a difference in either myself.

Back
Top Bottom