Which to choose ???

Ronald.C

Good evening friends, I'm in doubt between these two models:
- Integrated Ma 7900;
-mac 6700 receiver.
I would like the opinion of you, because I like listening to FM radio, but I find it very interesting tonal control 5 bands, so if anyone has one of these models, please pass me their impressões.Thank's !!!:thmbsp:

I would go with the MA7900 integrated instead of the receiver. I would forgo the tuner and get a network audio player. Not only do you get local stations, but you get over 20,000 channels to choose from. All genre of music, news, sports, talk radio, NPR, and others. My favorite Blues channel is from Larissa Greece.

I have a MA5100 and a Denon DNP-720AE network audio player. :music:

Thanks for your advice 4Play, but I'm still in doubt !!! Any owner of one of these models could tell me what you think?

I just bought a MA7900, upgrading from a MA6600 because I needed the MC section.
Couldn't be happier with the 7900. I have no reason to have a receiver since I don't listen to FM. We don't have any FM stations to listen to here in Atlanta.
The MA6600 has the option to add a FM receiver. I'm not sure the MA7900 has that option.

And you like the sound of mcintosh Ma7900? The bass are good?
I like strong bass, but without losing quality, like a detailed sound !!!

The choice of speakers is more important than the electronics if you want a particular sound! But having graphic tone controls allows you customize the sound you listen to in a way conventional tone controls can't. Maybe you should be looking for a pair of Subs to supplement your current speakers?

My advice would be for you to get separates rather than an integrated unit for future flexibility and up grades.

I agree with you my friend !!! My speakers are old but in excellent shape !!! I have two choices, or connect my Mac to my Wharfedale E70 or my JBL 4430 !!!
The first test will be with the Wharfedale E70 and I believe more will not change because I love them !!!

I would get the 6700 because I do not use tone controls. I also listen to fm. I have a MA6600 with the TM2 tuner. I listen to the tuner all the time. It depends on what you would use more. Tone controls or tuner.

The MAC6700 is the product McIntosh likes to dangle in front of the rest of us who spend big bucks on all their separates, just to let us know that every once in a while they can shove it all in one box at a fantastic value. If I had more efficient speakers I'd totally get the 6700.

I am curious how much heat is generated by the 7900 or 6700. I am on my constant quest for an amp that can live happily inside my cabinet without generating too much heat. Currently, it's an ARC D240mkII and it's manageable, but still pretty warm/hot.

I see Mac gear stacked a lot and have always wondered how happy they are with that. I've been told that they are very overbuilt in every way and every one I've touched has seemed cooler that my ARC gear.

I would love to find a solution that would allow me to thin the pile of boxes in my cabinet (AVR, Preamp, Power Amp, DAC) to a single high quality integrated.

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but these are two I am considering as well as the ARC DSI200, and Rogue Pharaoh, which would run cooler than the others, but not sure of the sound and none locally to demo. If it were a match for the D240 and has the ARC "house sound" it would certainly be in the mix. My other Class D amps (Peachtree and Anthem) sound nice, but not on a par with Mac and ARC.

I would like a definitive answer as to why you don't use tone controls? I just don't get it.

As none of us have perfect listening spaces and most recordings have been made and mixed in studios with totally different acoustics than out listening spaces, the need for tone controls is mandatory. Or do you not go out and listen to live concerts or participate in the creation of music yourself, and there fore have no idea what authentic live un-amplified sound from a musical group sounds like?

I would like a definitive answer as to why you don't use tone controls? I just don't get it.

As none of us have perfect listening spaces and most recordings have been made and mixed in studios with totally different acoustics than out listening spaces, the need for tone controls is mandatory. Or do you not go out and listen to live concerts or participate in the creation of music yourself, and there fore have no idea what authentic live un-amplified sound from a musical group sounds like?

Yeah, I agree, well said......:thmbsp:

I also do not understand why the "audiophiles" fear the tone control !!!
I've had some tubes amps and preamps Audio Research (Vt60, VT200, LS7), which even had a wonderful sound, but always felt the lack of low frequencies in most recordings.
I believe there is no right or wrong, much less that there is a sound mark to be perfect in everything and for everyone, if I like a little more bass is because it sounds good to my ears and so I'm happy.

There is nothing wrong with tone controls. It's true. Your room does not 100 percent mirror the recording space or even the listening space in which the recording was mastered. It probably never will. This amongst many other reasons are all positives for having tone controls. But the "BASS", "TREBLE" that all the current tube pres have are all but useless as far as I'm concerned. The beauty of the C50 is the fine granular control of more useful frequencies. It's really too bad the C2500, C2300, C500 and C1000 lack this critical feature. I suppose this sells MEN220s.

There is nothing wrong with tone controls. It's true. Your room does not 100 percent mirror the recording space or even the listening space in which the recording was mastered. It probably never will. This amongst many other reasons are all positives for having tone controls. But the "BASS", "TREBLE" that all the current tube pres have are all but useless as far as I'm concerned. The beauty of the C50 is the fine granular control of more useful frequencies. It's really too bad the C2500, C2300, C500 and C1000 lack this critical feature. I suppose this sells MEN220s.

The MEN220 is a stereo 2way crossover featuring room perfect and 6 program able presets which are cut only parametric eq's...
They aren't really very good for "on the fly" tweaking....you need to use the MEN voicing tool to upload your curves to the MEN via RS232.
Room perfect is for tuning your system to the room......something you use for the initial room setup......
I keep thinking I should have held out for the C50 sometimes.... I do like the idea of that 8 band EQ....
Although the 5 band on the C48 us pretty good.....

I'm curious about the in practice use of tone controls. I have the simple Bass / Treble dials on my C2300. I very rarely even use them to be honest. Given that you have the option of an 8 band graphic equalizer, do you sit there and fiddle with the controls for every album? Unless I am playing vinyl, I rarely sit through an entire album and will listen to tons of varied music. I think it would be incredibly laborious to sit there and fuss with all the controls halfway into a song to get it right and then listen to it all over again. Now it would be one thing if you could set optimal tones for albums and then have the system remember it for the future.

Be curious to hear how you all approach this?

I am curious how much heat is generated by the 7900 or 6700. I am on my constant quest for an amp that can live happily inside my cabinet without generating too much heat. Currently, it's an ARC D240mkII and it's manageable, but still pretty warm/hot.

I see Mac gear stacked a lot and have always wondered how happy they are with that. I've been told that they are very overbuilt in every way and every one I've touched has seemed cooler that my ARC gear.

I would love to find a solution that would allow me to thin the pile of boxes in my cabinet (AVR, Preamp, Power Amp, DAC) to a single high quality integrated.

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but these are two I am considering as well as the ARC DSI200, and Rogue Pharaoh, which would run cooler than the others, but not sure of the sound and none locally to demo. If it were a match for the D240 and has the ARC "house sound" it would certainly be in the mix. My other Class D amps (Peachtree and Anthem) sound nice, but not on a par with Mac and ARC.
My mc2300 and 6100 ( used as a pre) get hot inside their cabinet so I drilled holes in the shelves for more air and keep the glass door open when listening . It does make a difference

My C-34 is within an easy arms reach of my listening position as is the 12 band graphic EQ. If its an album I have known for a long time I preset the controls while I'm placing the disc on the TT, If its a new disc it only takes about 30 seconds to get the sound just right and then restart the disc. I ve lived with this set up with different components since 1969 in three different rooms and before remote controls and it works rather well, even if I have had to master the controls left handed.

DVD's played through the MX120 re quire a lot more effort. You can't depend on Dolby and calibration of your system to get the parameters just right. Some of the techno movies swamp the spoken word, and remasters of older analog big screen musicals can really be screwed up. At least the old laser discs weren't tampered with that much, though the sound and picture quality can be very suspect.

I use full range for rear and back speakers for THX , but normal Dolby needs for filtering and a different balance, which I wish could be added with supplemental modes on the selector switch.

Back
Top Bottom