Where to find ACV-184 (SA3000 volume pot)

groenhen

Hi,
I need a new volume potentiometer for SA-3000 amplifier.
Code is : ACV-184
On schematics it's : VR2 (250kohm)
Board # is: AWM-162.

I found one in the USA, but they didn't want to ship to Europe.
I didn't manage to find it in Europe (Pioneer EU didn't bother to respond to email).

PLease help!
TIA,
Stanley.

Let me share a secret with you :
IT's great that you have the part # . What you can do is , Take this number , go to
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/index.asp
Enter the part # on the search bar and search.
THEN it will give you ALL models , which use this part.
THIS way , you can search for other models which are more popular and more common .
Good luck :)

Thanks, but ... this is exactly the site I was talking about: they don't ship to Europe :(
I'll try on eBay, but probably they sell only USED items (and I would like to buy a NEW one).

IF yours is not completely broken / non repairable , there's no need to buy new one.
The amp isn't new either so...

IF yours is not completely broken / non repairable , there's no need to buy new one.
The amp isn't new either so...

Indeed, it's not broken...
But it makes some annoying scratching noise between volume level 0 and 1.
I'm 100% sure it can not be fixed (too old, too worn-out also...)

I didn't see it mentioned so I'll ask this question. Have you tried De-Oxit? Thats always the first step when you have a control that is making a scratchy noise. Unless the shaft is snapped off or something, there usually isn't a reason to replace a pot.

Yes, I read about Deoxit.
Main problem: it's hard to find one here.
Quite expensive and can not be sent via airplane.
Anyway, some say it doesn't do miracles... Pot will make scratchy noises again after few weeks-months... So, the only reasonable solution is to replace the pot.
After all, the price is almost the same (the pot vs Deoxit), so I'll go for a new pot, as I don't want to dis-assemble the unit every x weeks/months... :)

everybody talks about deoxiting pots.

but something isn't said.

FADERLUBING the pot after deoxiting. Sounds EXACTLY like what is happening.

Faderlubing is CRITICAL!!! Or you will prematurely wear out the pot.

Deoxiting cleans all the old lube off the surface of the resistance material. This is not desired but necessary, for the other parts in the pot that DO need deoxiting.

So the lube is the second half of the treatment.

Where are you located?

I'm from Romania, yet I work for a Belgian company so I travel quite often to Belgium.

Oh, I forgot to say:
Pioneer (Parts) USA refused to send the potentiometer to Europe (Romania?) :(

Last edited:
Mark, I totally agree about lubing the pot :)
But, by "FADERLUBING " do you mean the F-series from DeOxit or is there a better alternative ?

So, what do you use for pot lubing ?
I mean except DeoxIT® Fader...
An old technician told me he simply cleans the pot with isopropyl alcohol and then he lubes the pot with... some sort of fuel-derivative, I dont know exactly what it is, maybe paraffin (it used to be sold in gas-stations many years ago)...
Well?... :)

have you tried to contact a service center in europe? they might be able to order for you. just a thought.

Re: lube - yes caig faderlube

alternatives? SAFE alternatives? "contact cleaner WITH lube" if faderlube unavailable.

ok, i'll give it a try.
anyway, replacing the pot with something different than original is tricky. This volume pot has 2 x 4 pins. I'm a programmer, writing software for micro-controllers, but I know how to "read" schematics, I guess the 4th pins is used for some kind of automatic loudness... right?

Easter bunny just brought me a contact-spray: Kontakt PR60, where PR comes from "potentiometer regenerator"... Hard to say if its good or not, but what do I have to lose?.... pot cracks & fizzles anyway (at low level i.e between 0 and 1).
Here's a picture (in attach.) maybe some of you know about this product...?

>>>>> !!! <<<<<<
Hey I forgot to ask the major question here :
How to do it: treat the pot right there on the board OR should I remove the pot, do the clean&lube procedure and solder it back? :scratch2:
Please share your experience.

Attachments

• picPR.jpg
    picPR.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
treat in place, curved straws help, heat straw and use a wire core to prevent blockage.

4th connection is the 40% loudness tap.

deoxit loosens the corrosion (sulphates) on the slide ring. cleaner just leaves clean corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom