Pioneer SA708 power: 600W vs. 190W ?!?

groenhen

Hi,
I'm a little bit puzzled...
I have a SA-708, on back panel I see clearly 600W.
But, according to service manual, there are also versions of SA-708 with a power consumption of 190W (so 3 times lower than mine!).
Questions is: What's the explanation for this? I'm pretty sure there is no mistake in the data-sheet...
TIA,
Stanley.

1. On some units, Same model numbers were used on two different models. US version Sa-9500 is the same as the Japanese version SA-9800

2. On similar units, the required Power ratings displayed on the back panel may differ depending on the country of destination.

Pfff...
Correct me if I'm wrong but from 600W to 190W there are MORE than 400W.
Simple mathematics...
WHERE are those 400W disappeared ?!?
It seems feasible to output 2x65W pulling 190-200W from the grid...
But, again, how do you explain that HUGE difference in power consumption?!?
(i.e. 3 times more: 600 / 190 = 3.15)

Difference in input voltage (Europe, Asia, Africa, Canada, Japan, US) will account for difference in amps and watts.
240V x 10A = 2400W
120V x 20A = 2400W

As the voltage goes down the watts can go up because of ohms law. 1/2 the voltage and you need double the amps to keep the same amount of watts.

600W/240V= 2.5A
600W/120V= 5.0A

But say you don't need 5A. you just need 2.5A to run, no matter what the input voltage is.

240V x 2.5A = 600W
120V x 2.5A = 300W
110V x 2.5A = 275W
100V x 2.5A = 250W

Those are the high and low voltages in units made by PIONEER with the 2 most common US voltages made that I'm aware of. The numbers on the back are the MAXIMUM consumption the unit will use when running @ 100% power. More than likely during normal use you'd use no more than less than 1/2 of that unless you are listening at very high volumes and with a lot of dynamic peaks (cannon fire, sonic booms, etc.).
Don't worry about it too much. It's not directly related to Watts per Channel in Sound power. It's just how much power it sucks out of the wall when running flat out.

But Larry... :nono:
What you said above is obviously in contradiction with the picture(s) below (or attached)...

See the second picture:
110/120/220/240V version has only 200W :tresbon:

Also, see the first picture:
220/240V version has 600W !!! :sigh:

So, my conclusion: There MUST be some OTHER explanation for that!
Could it be the TRANSFORMER ?!? :scratch2:

Attachments

• pic01.jpg
    pic01.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 25
  • pic02.jpg
    pic02.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I can imagine 70 watts per channel, 140 watts continous both channels driven, pulling 600 watts off the wall when driven hard, maybe 100 watts per channel or 200 watts for both channels for peak power

I guess, 600 watts version describes max power consumption and the 200 watts version is max output power

My SX-1980, has a rating of 530 watts at the back (output is 270 watts per channel) at the back panel. My SX-1050 has a rating of 870 watts at the back (output 120 watts per channel). Both units are multivolt units. go figure :D

My Sx-1250 has a rating of ....... wait I still dont have one :)

I honestly don't know what the differences between the units is but oHms law doesn't lie! It could be 2 different units from 2 different era's (PIONEER IS known to re-use the same model #'s over and over!).

Differences in Amplifier class (A,AB1,AB2, C, D, G, etc) will draw different amounts of current at maximum load and output the same amount of watts. Class A, AB1, AB2 IIRC are the biggest current hogs. Class G or H is the least from my understanding. Not withstanding transformer differences, you have to look at the topology of the amp.

Also the different Governmental bodies that determine standards are ALL DIFFERENT. A GOOD EXAMPLE is the SX-1080. For the same unit (from the manual).
POWER REQUIREMENTS.......................120V, 60Hz
POWER CONSUMPTION.........................350W(UL), 800W(CSA), 1100W(MAX).

The SX-1080 was produced at the same time the SA-708/SA-7800 (late 70's), and it looks as if as time went on PIONEER added more and more specs to the manuals to satisfy the gov't bodies.

As for your examples (Pictures). The 220/240 unit is definately European MARKET. The 4 voltage unit is most likely a universal unit that would satisfy most markets. I don't know how they determined the wattage, but it's there.
As the Voltage drops the Watts Stay the Same, based on ohms law, and the calculations in my 1st post. It's still consuming 200W, but at 240V that is .833333333~ amps, and at 110V is 1.8181818181~ amps.
As for the 600W model, it may be identical to the 190w model (other than the transformer voltages), but the gov't testing is different. Load is determined by the circuits internally, not the transformer. The transformer is mainly a supplier, not a user except for a slight amount.

It's one of those mysteries that is probably lost in some beaurocrats file's in a large gov't warehouse never destined to see the light of day again.

Last edited:
talk about pole vaulting over mouse poop.

ever stop to think about the EXTRA POWER OUTLETS, switched and unswitched on the panel????

Sheesh.

Can you imagine where the extra HEAT 190w vs 600w goes - warms up the room a lot?

Gummint regulations in different countries... and cYa...

The salient fact - maximum power drawn through the power plug.

My Sx-1250 has a rating of ....... wait I still dont have one
Why mention then...? Anyway, it's about 650W if you're still curious to know.

@Larry: Bureaucracy... yes, you're probably right...!

@Mark(the fixer): not necessarily "vault over poop". CYA maybe as everyone wants to be on the safe side (now and then)... somehow same as Larry said :)

Thank you all for taking the time!

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. I didn't even think about the Aux POWER Plugs!!!! As I never use them I don't normally take them into account.

10 meter pole works everytime, unless the mice have been chewing on it! ;)

Back
Top Bottom