Servicing a SX-1980

aussiedan

Ambition beyond ability
Hi guys, its been a while since I've dropped by. A few things have changed since then. Kids are older, finances have improved, life has settled down, now its time to get back to an old hobby:music:.
I've never been great at tech stuff, I've revived a few entry level units but nothing to write home about. This hasn't stopped me loving pioneer stuff.

Anyway, my question is, is there anyone doing reputable tech work who knows what they are doing with SX-1980's?

I've got my eyes on a unit stateside (on ebay, so some of you might be looking at it too) and will have to import it to OZ on my own back, possibly with the help of a friend in WV.

I would like to get it sent to a good Pioneer tech for a good once over before exporting it. Hopefully I can arrange to get it shipped to the said tech and then on to me (directly or via West Virginia if the tech cant help beyond the lower 48 states)
So if anyone can help me directly or with a name, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've been looking for one of these for about 7 years now and I'm finally in a position to do something about it.
Thanks guys.:thmbsp:

Markthefixer, Echowars and Mattsd... there are other experts on this board, but these three I know does it professionally.

Forget Markthefixer, he is booked until his reincarnation :)

Since cooler weather is approaching, why not take some time and go through it yourself? What else are you going to do? Build snowmen? ;)

Actually, while all of us don't report our geography in our profiles, there are several competent techs in the region around West Virginia including Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and that could mean a delivery/pickup instead of the always-risky package shipment. For the same or less than what you might pay for shipping to a repair tech someone might be enticed to deliver or pick up. There is always a chance that the AK Pony Express might come through for you as well.

qguy, my options are limited, if one comes up I have to consider it in the condition its offered.
I would love to have MTF do it, but I'm too late to make a booking, lol. His diary closed about 2 years ago. Besides, his health must come first. Echowars is a busy guy too.
I don't know Mattsd but if he's good to have a look them I'm happy

Watthour, I'm in Australia, I have a buddy in WV and one in AR that might be able to help me get it here. If the pony express can help, I'd be most gratefull. I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

Edit; Watthour, I'd need to import some snow to make snowmen, lol. Besides, my limit of multimeter use is checking lightbulbs for continuity.

Last edited:
Hi Aussiedan and forum,
Why are you so interested in a 1980? so much so that you will go to lengths to have one serviced.
Me, MTF, others are helping Omri fix his unit and it is not in the greatest of shape. It is one heck of a lot of work in my mind, but hey they are impressive units.
Cheers
Rick

I just like them Rick, there is no real logic behind my desire. I know they can be a lot of work and I've heard they are not great at moderate listening levels, but I have wanted one for years.
I guess anyone else that owns one would sympathise.

Hi Aussiedan and forum,
Why are you so interested in a 1980? so much so that you will go to lengths to have one serviced.
Me, MTF, others are helping Omri fix his unit and it is not in the greatest of shape. It is one heck of a lot of work in my mind, but hey they are impressive units.
Cheers
Rick

:thmbsp:
True. Without the help of you guys I wouldn't be going anywhere with the Sx-1980.

Aussiedan,

You mean to tell me that you can not find a good tech in Au?
So I am to understand that if you find one, you want it serviced like re-capping, adjustments, etc?
I myself have never worked on one but I have studied the design a fair bit and have read a few threads discussing the service of them. I just can't see how it could be economical for someone like me to carry out a service, knowing the geography, but if ckt boards could be shipped it would certainly be cheaper than sending the heavy chassis.
It could be faster to teach you what to do ;-) since this is a forum that helps so many people hone there skills.

Last edited:
So you haven't bought one yet? You're lining up for the future? And working out a USA to Australia "hand carry"?

You do realize that one in the completely rebuilt (like I do) and realigned condition is 3k to 3.5k on eBay? (and a bargain considering exactly what work I do to it)

Rcs, there are good techs in Oz, but finding one experienced in the ways of these beasts is difficult. You guys seem to have a better availability of parts and expertise than the guys here.
I'm not prepared to learn on the job doing one of these units mate, I'd drive you nuts with my lack of electrical knowledge.

Mark, no I havn't got one yet. I've had trouble even finding a junk one. I've had life jump up and get in the way each time I've got close.
I'd be happy to pay the price your talking, knowing that when I got it here it would be right.
I'd be happy if you could do the job for me, but I guessed that you would still have a long waiting list. I'm happy to wait, I've been waiting 6 or 7 years now to pounce.
I have mates that can help me get it from the US to Australia, that part is not a problem. Getting someone I know and trust to restore it is.

I've had a couple of recommendations, but having you or echowars do the work would be icing on the cake. I wasn't sure if your still even doing much of that stuff these days. Sorry for my lack of attention.

If your interested, I am:thmbsp:
I tried to send you a pm, but your inbox seems full, lol.

PM maint. is difficult, because I need to maintain records.

I HAVE my own SX-1980 that I got a long while back that needs work (before power is applied at all).
(and Spec-1's, Spec-4's and lots of others..)
that I have resigned myself to NOT keeping.

Someone else - unbeknownst to them - has the right of first refusal for it. I guess you are now second in line, instead of putting it on eBay.

Last edited:
Well Mark, that is a very highly prized offer.
Since your PM's are full I'll have to say it here. I'm happy to see you get a good price, save the ebay crap (their final value fees are going through the roof these days)
If your first right of refusal dosnt want it, I'll give it a loving home.
As I said, I cant do the work. If you have the inclination to give it a once over, I'm good to go.
The one I'm looking at is over $2k and needs work, it has about 2 weeks left to run, but could sell via a BIN price. Add resto cost and shipping and I'm looking about the same price that you mentioned.
With the work you have done for the forum and the help you have given me and many others I'd love to help you out, but I don't want to step on any toes.
Happy to wait for your decision.

There was a change to the shipping rules from the US to Australia, 4seatpilot and the fez would have more information- something to do with weight. IIRC, the 1980 may be too large to ship from here to there. You may want to check with them.

Cheers

... I guess you are now #2...

Well, THAT'S not a very neighborly thing to say, even to our neighbors in the other hemisphere. I mean, sure they might smell a little after sweating out a hot day in the flatlands, but #2? That's pretty harsh.

;) ;) ;)

Well good luck "aussiedan" with your 1980 en devour.
Hey, it a sunny 50F/16C day here in southern Ontario. Time to go a rake some lawn.

Back
Top Bottom