Anyone Still Rocking A Yamaha MusicCast system?

sacflies

Probably not many folks still (or ever) used a MusicCast system, but I am. I have a MCX-1000 server (with a 750GB HDD) and four clients set up around the house. Although I am always fighting to keep the clients connected to the server. Right now I can't seem to get any of the clients synced up with the server. Frustrating. It is a sweet setup...when it works right. Which is hit and miss for me. But if nothing else it is pretty cool having my entire CD collection at the ready in at least the room with the server...in uncompressed PCM quality. And when the clients are working I have access to this in four other rooms, either in MP3 format or uncompressed PCM.

Was just wondering if there were any other MusicCast fans still out there.

I was hoping a few would comment on your thread, i have considered picking up a set a few times.

I guess the MusicCast system never really took off. It's a very nice system...when I can get it to work properly with the clients. It's probably my home network as I have a lot of stuff running off it dragging it down at any given moment.

Yeah, not many MusicCast fans out there!

Back from the dead thread.

Let me start with a flat tire. Sunday for father's day my kids and I went to Road America but before we hit the road I drove the family van to gas up, check fluids and air in the tires. At the air compressor was an older lady struggling to get air in her flat front tire. I asked if I could lend a hand and she accepted. Within a few moments I found the tire had a 1/8 inch cut just off the center of the tread. 20 minutes later the tire was changed and I was following her to a local service shop to patch the tire. After a smile and a thank you I was on my way back home to load up the kids.

Now for the karma.

Last fall I found a MCX-1000 at a local Pawn America. It caught my eye being a Yammi and looking like a very big and heavy CD player. I had no idea what it was. It was missing the remote and accessories and the price was to high for a gamble so I passed. I Googled it when I got home and realized it would do much of what I have been looking for; HiFi CD jukebox/Ipod for home with CD recording from a line input. In time I convinced my self I needed one and started looking at the 750 gig HD upgraded units on Ebay but never pulled the trigger.

Anyway...Sunday on the drive home from Road America with my kids we stopped in Madison for dinner. I don't know if it was the spicy food or instinct but my gut told me I should go to Pawn America and stop in quick since they were closing in 45 minutes. There, 9 months latter, sitting on a bottom shelf with a half price clearance tag was the MCX-1K. After finding an outlet to make sure it powered up, I hauled it to the checkouts and asked the salesman if the price was negotiable. After a 5 minute call to his manager in a office, I was walking out with the MCX and an 6 month extended warranty for less than the price of a replacement remote on Ebay.

While on Ebay I found a local person in Madison that can install a 750 gig hard drive for a reasonable price. The plan was in motion. Yesterday at work I printed out the manual so I could figure out how to do everything on the unit. When I got home the first thing I did was see how much of the punny stock 80 gig hard drive had been filled by the previous owner. After navigating the menus my jaw dropped when it showed 54 gig used and 245 gig remaining. Someone swapped in a 300 gig HD already! SCORE! :banana:

My master plan is to still get the 750 gig and store my music in full PCM but the 300 gig will buy me some time to save for the upgrade. Till then I can store my favorites in PCM and everything else as MP3. Later, after the upgrade I may keep an eye out for one of the clients to see if the wireless network ability is worth perusing. Anyway, one more person on AK rockin' MusicCast. :music:

Back
Top Bottom