Is it worth fixing Yamaha's CD-2000 and CDX-1100 CD Players?

bergun

Hi,

Retirement paperwork has been submitted and this coming December will the start of a new phase of my life... With that said, my employer will pay half of my moving cost, so its time to lighten my load of "stuff" and by "stuff," I mean old and some non-functioning audio/video equipment... Mainly Yamaha gear from the mid/late 80s.

I will be giving away lots of this "stuff" to my friends who have the same interests, but I have several pieces like Yamaha's CD-2000 and CDX-1100 CD Players that are not functioning and I believe are in need of a laser replacement, along as some belts and other do-dads. The belts and do-dads shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I know that finding original replacement lasers will be almost impossible.

With that said, would it or could it be possible to "fit" and/or "modify" a quality replacement pick-up lasers into these CD players or am I simply out of luck??

To be honest, I could live with something less than the original specs, but they will still need to be close and most important, sound GOOD. BTW, I have "zero" skills in repairing anything electronic, so all the work will be farmed out to the pros.

The truth be told, I am somewhat attached to these items and would like to get them back into action since they have "history" with me. I would hate to trash them, but at the same time, I hate to "pay" to move trash, so if needed, I'll do what I need to do.

I also have a DBX CD player and Akai's first generation CD player with the front flip-opening door, that's in need of some serious TLC too!! ...The only real value of the Akai CD player is its cool retro looks!!

I Have other Yamaha, Kenwood and Pioneer items that are in need of repairs, but it appears that my CD players will be the most challenging items to get fixed.... Most of my other "stuff" just need a good cleaning and some adjustments to get them up and running.

Thanks for looking!!

It's not practical to "fit" and/or "modify" a quality replacement pick-up lasers into your CD players.

You're better off finding working models and keep yours as parts donors.

Back
Top Bottom