fisher X-202-B 1000uf/1000uf cap replacement help

rshadley

I am rebuilding my Fisher X-202-B and ran into a problem with the 1000UF/1000UF can replacement. I replaced with individual lytics underneath and all connections are correct but I keep frying 1 of the 1000UF caps and I only have the variac turned up to 50Volts. The cap that is connected to the white wire from the power transformer keeps going up in smoke. I have included a link to another x-202-b rebuild as it has some before pics as mine are just on my cell phone. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=392263

Attachments

• Picture 3060.jpg
    Picture 3060.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 3061.jpg
    Picture 3061.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 3062.jpg
    Picture 3062.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 56
If the old can cap had the can represent the positive terminals then the white transformer wire represents a negative voltage with respect to ground but appears to be connected to the positive leads of your new 1000 uf caps. I hope this helps!
Dave

Hi.

Two issues could be

Polarized on reverse voltage. Or more voltage than maximum rating is applied.

As Dave mentioned and checking the drawings I see the caps are connected wrong, the resistor MUST be put with the (-) leg of each cap

Regards

Thank You for the help. I was wondering why the positive end of the 2 diodes and the 50uf electrolytic where connected to the outside if the can. Does anybody think that it is a bad idea to leave the positive connections on the old can capacitor and replace the 1000uf/1000uf capacitors polarized in the correct position? Looks like I will have to work on my schematic reading abilities.

Back
Top Bottom