400c and choice of power amp

While the 400c seems to be in the news, I'd like to have some discussion about the best choice of favorite choice of power amp/mono blocks to use with the Fisher pre..
At this time I'm using a pair of Heathkit W4's that have been rebuilt and modified to bring them up to the best possible performance one of these Williamson amps can bring. 5ar4 rectifier, 6L6GC output tubes, larger capacitor bank in the power supply, feedback and associated ringing of OP Xformer corrected, notch filter.. truly a nice set of Heathkits.. these are winding up into a pair of Altec 604c speakers in original 606 corner cabinets with new GPA crossovers designed for the 604 16ohm series speaker.

From what I understand the Fisher amps are wonderful, but they have a unique sound. Almost ethereal? other worldly?.. comments?

Don't know about the Mc's, I just get the feeling some of them are overrated?

I'm picking up a Citation II this week, this I'm looking forward to. Everything I've read says the Citation II is very analytical almost SS like in it's presentation. The Fisher 400c does "color" the music in a most pleasant way. I'm hoping this will be a winning combination. Comments?

Please tell us if you are running a 400c what you are using for power amps/speakers.. thanks!

Pat I've used 30a 80az and presently 200a monos. The 30as were a tad light for my Tyler d1 speakers. Im thinking music that doesn't need to be cranked up 30as would work. 80azs are sweet and quite enjoyable. Since my 200as have been in my system no considerations of any other amps has raised my interest. Being a classic rock blues listener mostly the 400c 200a match gets better and better

stltrains you reminded me I should have pointed out that my preference in music is Classic Rock.. Heart, Who, Styx, Joe Jackson, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, to name a few. Even in classic rock there are artist's whose recording quality shines through. The bad thing about having a good system with speakers like the 604c that are very very revealing.. a poor quality recording sticks out like sore thumb..

It seems that the Fisher amps are a little scarce. I hardly see any for sale anywhere.. I have heard a lot of good things about them though.

I'm on this quest since my Heathkits as good as they sound for what they are I fear are lacking a little of that something.. maybe it's in the iron.

I have a chance to get a Harman Kardon, Citation II so that's also why I'm wondering about choices of power amps that seem to blend well with the Fisher.

Give that Citation II a shot. The preamp is a touch warm. The Citation II is not, but could very well be a good conduit and put through the preamp's tone neutrally.

I would think your speakers will have more to do with overall sound more so than the amps. I am currently running mine with a pair of thourghly massaged MC30's using winged C's for outputs, anybody that states that it is all hype is full of it and really quite clueless. I have run it with a pair of Radio Craftsmen 500's and a Motorola EL84 console pull. All set ups sound great, the pre is a nice enhancement but like anything else the system is only as good as the weakest link

Give that Citation II a shot. The preamp is a touch warm. The Citation II is not, but could very well be a good conduit and put through the preamp's tone neutrally.

I like the 202t with the Citation a lot. The sound is similar to a 500c, but with tons of headroom.

Steve

Don, that's kind of along the lines I was thinking. Having never heard a Citation II all I can go by are reviews and opinions. Most state that the Citation II is a pretty cold amp in terms of it's almost SS reality.. a little on the cold and analytical side. There are many many good things about it though including the output transformers. This heavy iron might be a good match up for the 604c. The Fisher as you state might just warm up the HK a bit.

Hey Heathkitpat, The Citation sounds like the source to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Steve

Hey Heathkitpat, The Citation sounds like the source to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Steve

Ultimately isn't that the goal of "HiFi"? :yes:

I'm picking one up (Citation II) this Friday and am looking forward to running it with my Fisher 400C.. who knows, might be a match made in heaven. Friday night will tell. This one is all rebuilt so it's plug and play. The system sounds great with the Heathkits, I can only imagine it will get better.

I'll be back with my findings!

Guys in the end its the same old story satisfaction and its elusiveness we think. Let's face it the endless possibilities are to many to audition. But we are humans and its hard to stop our brains from wondering. Thankfully mine is enjoying the music for the moment.

"I'm picking one up (Citation II) this Friday"

Lift that amp with your legs, not your back. Heh, heh.

I would think your speakers will have more to do with overall sound more so than the amps. I am currently running mine with a pair of thourghly massaged MC30's using winged C's for outputs, anybody that states that it is all hype is full of it and really quite clueless. I have run it with a pair of Radio Craftsmen 500's and a Motorola EL84 console pull. All set ups sound great, the pre is a nice enhancement but like anything else the system is only as good as the weakest link

Perchdog, of course I'm prejudiced but I think the Altec 604c is a wonderful speaker. It is very efficient coming in around 103db, it is very revealing. I'm running GPA crossovers, a very good design. The Fisher 400c was rebuilt using all hi quality like original components. At this point if there is a weak link it would be the Heathkit W4's. They are AS good as a pair of W4's can get, but they aren't a Citation II or Fisher power amps. :D

"I'm picking one up (Citation II) this Friday"

Lift that amp with your legs, not your back. Heh, heh.

Lol, I have one better! I'll lift it with my head (gonna get the seller to load it in my van)..

It's neat that you are getting on on Friday also. Anxious to hear what you have to say. I'm excited, I haven't read or heard a bad thing about the Citation II yet

This may go against others views, but the Sovtek kt88 is a wonderful cheap alternative to the more expensive ones.
My favorite new production tube is the SED, but they don't last very long in a deuce.

Please post a picture when you receive your amplifier.

Steve

This may go against others views, but the Sovtek kt88 is a wonderful cheap alternative to the more expensive ones.
My favorite new production tube is the SED, but they don't last very long in a deuce.

Please post a picture when you receive your amplifier.

Steve

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to anything but a 6L6 output tube, well I do have experience with smaller output tubes just new to the KT88. There are those that swear the 6L6 is THEE only tube for a nice midrange. The amp I'm picking up has four 6550 Winged C tubes (NOS). If I'm not too deep into listening to this thing all weekend (which I suspect I might be). I'll take a few photo's.

Heath -- I don't want to hijack the thread, but would be interested in knowing more of the details in what you did to your W-4s. PM me when you get a chance if you'd rather not respond here.

Thanks!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom