Fisher X 1000 and FM 1000 finally

asech

After many years of waiting and negotiating I finally got me the set..!

A gentleman down the street had it sitting in his garage and I was after it for 2 1/2 years for him to sell it to me..
Today i heard he was looking for me and when he opened the back of his SUV
I almost passed out...X1000 and FM 1000. Never had seen one in person!

He said it was time for them to go and was I still interested..?

He did have them running recently and I did set them up for a quick listen.
On the FM 1000, I have never heard radio like that, even though it needs a tune up the drums,guitar,bass is incredable.
The Meters don't work...no current to the relays, missing jewels and the brass caps.
The x 1000 has a slight hum, one cap can gets a little warm and no stereo seperation..!! same from both channels when using the tuner and aux.. I used
the headphones and ran the left/right test through them,same in both channels.
I have to look for the X1000 service manual and try and find out why...
I do have one week 7247 onboard, and will try and get that swapped out.

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 104
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 58
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 66
Congratulations! They're gorgeous. Looking forward to hearing how they sound once they're restored.

On the X-1000, for stereo separation, make sure the dimension control at the lower far right (outer sleeve) is set all the way to the right. It's a mono/stereo blend control.

On the X-1000, for stereo separation, make sure the dimension control at the lower far right (outer sleeve) is set all the way to the right. It's a mono/stereo blend control.

Audiodon...thanks...That Was It..!!

i wasn't sure what that control is but I guess it is the stereo dimension like
the on on the x202B..?

sounds much better now...
The EL34 are 3 fisher 2 tele's and 1 mullard @ 80% the other is a newr russian tube..

next week starts the rehab....

Congrats on a nice find! I own the little brother of these FM200B and X202B amp and they sound great.....restore yours and they will amaze you!

These units came early in the stereo era. Some standard usage and terminology hadn't been developed yet. Fisher was on the cutting edge of the user interface and terminology but nobody wins 'em all. Where some called the dimension control a stereo/mono control, others called it a blend control, and Fisher chose Dimension. I don't recall seeing a dimension control on any other units from later than the X-1000 and X-202-B. The function existed but labelled as stereo/mono, I believe.

As an aside, I'll state that the front panels, knob type, and even pot spacing changed on the X-1000 in its lifetime.
The early X-1000s had a brass faceplate and brown knobs with gold rimming the outside of the knobs. Mine is like that. It also has a date stamp on the bottom cover that says Nov 21, 1961.
The later X-1000s had a brushed aluminum faceplate and that faceplate does not fit the earlier style. The knobs are the later brown with front bright style that Fisher used for the next four years.

The switches moved, spreading out in the later X-1000s, probably for easier assembly. Also, the terminology and possibly the function of a couple of potentiometers changed.
So, the front panels are not interchangeable from early to later Fisher X-1000s. The OP has a later X-1000.

Last edited:
That's a wonderful find! I own an early X-1000 brass plate.
I just finished a refurbish of the innards. I took a course at Pavek Broadcast Museum for tube amps. Under the guidance of the resident pros..they deem it to sound as good as it ever did! If you get the proper schematics, it will show all the proper test points for voltages, proper values and list of parts. We also went through the distortion analyser procedure. I can pretty much list important steps I did..if you are interested.
I am delighted with the X-1000 sonics! It is also a great relief to know the unit is dependable once again.

Great pick up asech, very nice Fisher components. Best of luck getting them back up to snuff! Enjoy!! :thmbsp:

Thanks to all for the encouraging words...!

Audiodon

From what i've seen(dreamed),is that mine is the last version of the X1000.

The brass face version first and then the aluminium face with the headphone jacks in the rear then(mine) with the headphone jacks in the front.

Hotroady...

thanks for the offer of info, I may take you up on it, The X1000, i know will be a slow process to restore, I want to hopefully get the performance close to what you accomplished.....
I can imagine how a well tuned and within specs unit will sound just based on what is coming out of it now...

I do have a slight hum on the OPT, not sure if somthing needs tightening or
was driven hard..

Thanks again to all, and patience with my many questions,
i am not even sure what serial number it is, I haven't dug into it since bringing them home....but will soon..

thanks

Thanks to all for the encouraging words...!

Audiodon

From what i've seen(dreamed),is that mine is the last version of the X1000.

The brass face version first and then the aluminium face with the headphone jacks in the rear then(mine) with the headphone jacks in the front.

Hotroady...

thanks for the offer of info, I may take you up on it, The X1000, i know will be a slow process to restore, I want to hopefully get the performance close to what you accomplished.....
I can imagine how a well tuned and within specs unit will sound just based on what is coming out of it now...

I do have a slight hum on the OPT, not sure if somthing needs tightening or
was driven hard..

Thanks again to all, and patience with my many questions,
i am not even sure what serial number it is, I haven't dug into it since bringing them home....but will soon..

thanks
That's it. There is a world of difference between a X-1000 that has been brought back to spec. I spent about 25 hrs on mine, sometimes redoing what someone had done previously. I haven't replaced the coupling caps yet, I am very surprised how good they still sound. There is not a lot of room for huge caps, like Amp Ohms.

Rehab begins

I decided to start on the X1000 first, I ordered all the filter cans from hayseed hamfest and ordered the other caps from various sources. I got the .047 400v
caps made by ITW from West Florida components, any one have dealings with them?

I posted some nudies, looks like there was some previous work but mostly original. i have one cap can leaking pretty bad 1000/1000 35/35v and will be
replaced as soon as the replacements come in along with all the others.
all the electrolytic caps will be replaced...

can't wait until they show up so i can start on getting this back to spec...

Attachments

• photo-14.jpg
    photo-14.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
  • photo-15.jpg
    photo-15.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo-16.jpg
    photo-16.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 23
  • photo-18.jpg
    photo-18.jpg