Yamaha vs. McIntosh?

RSL'67

Midphile
Hello, a quick request for opinions:

I'm currently running a Yamaha MX-2 (with a CX-2 pre) at 150W per channel, in a 2 channel set up with B&W DM2000's.

I'm thinking about swapping out the MX-2 with a McIntosh 2105 amp - which is rated at 105W per channel.

Good idea or bad idea?

As always, thanks for your time!
Regards,
Scott

I'm biased. :D Nothing wrong with Yamaha stuff -- they are very well-built, I've owned several. 2105 is a good looking amp, though.

A different choice

Here's another thought. First, I have a McIntosh MC2120 which has been restored to factory specs. I find this amp to be very underwhelming.

In place of the MX-2, I recommend looking for a Kenwood M2/M2A. I also like the Kenwood M1A. Build quality is solid. I have Mac components, but framkly don't quite see the magic, performance wise.

Hello, a quick request for opinions:

I'm currently running a Yamaha MX-2 (with a CX-2 pre) at 150W per channel, in a 2 channel set up with B&W DM2000's.

I'm thinking about swapping out the MX-2 with a McIntosh 2105 amp - which is rated at 105W per channel.

Good idea or bad idea?

As always, thanks for your time!
Regards,
Scott

I have a Yamaha MX-2 and a McIntosh 2505. The MX-2 has a damping factor of 250 @ 8 ohms. The 2505 has a damping factor 27 @ 8 ohms. (The 2105 has a damping factor of 13 @ 8 ohms.) I swapped out the MX-2 for the 2505 in my main system. There was a very notible difference in the sound of the bass. The 2505 has a fuller bottom end, but not as tight. My speakers are B&W Matrix2 S2's, and I like how they sound with the 2505, but it is a matter of personal preference.

Ditto! There's no comparison in the quality of build, and my Mac's have never been in the shop.

How many high end Yamahas have you owned?

Ever open up a C-2x, C-2a, B-2, or B-2x?

I have, and can tell you that no expense was spared in construction of these excellent amps and preamps.

Ever seen a MX-2000? There is no more beautiful piece of audio history, and the build quality is unmatched. PERIOD.

I've recently owned three McIntosh pieces. I don't own them any more.

McIntosh - over rated

Yamaha - you'll never regret owning the high end offerings

Wow, quality responses (as one might expect here at AK) thank you!

This helps quite a bit, as I am very happy with the sound of my Yamaha set up - but with all the good press McIntosh gets, I'm curious to know what the hype is all about.

Anyway, the 2105 unit I was looking at appears to have been dropped off a truck - serious damage - no face plate, metal is scratched and a little bent. I understand it still "works well" - and the price may be right, reflecting the damage.

I may still give it a test listen, to see what I think - although, there's no truer test than to listen at home.

Regards,
Scott

I may still give it a test listen, to see what I think - although, there's no truer test than to listen at home.

And there you have it.

How many high end Yamahas have you owned?

Ever open up a C-2x, C-2a, B-2, or B-2x?

I have, and can tell you that no expense was spared in construction of these excellent amps and preamps.

Ever seen a MX-2000? There is no more beautiful piece of audio history, and the build quality is unmatched. PERIOD.

I've recently owned three McIntosh pieces. I don't own them any more.

McIntosh - over rated

Yamaha - you'll never regret owning the high end offerings

:boring:

It's not McIntosh snobery, its just comparing apples to oranges.

I've got no doubt Yamaha makes some fine gear, but it's not Mac... You mention the high-end Yamaha gear, with McIntosh, you don't have to hunt for the high-end gear; every single component they make is the very best they can do with then current technology, there is no bad Mac gear. Add in that it's made by hand in the USA and backed up with incredible factory support and killer resale value, and it's in another league.

*Note: I don't even own any Mac at the moment, but the pieces I have had made an impression that lasts even now that I'm headed in the triode direction.

Last edited:
It really is a question of taste, as both are fine manufacturers and both amps seem to get good honest reviews.

My experience with both makers is that their character is very diferent. The yamaha sound is more clinical and a bit thin or uncolored, where the mcintosh sound is thicker and fuller (i refer to the mc preamp i have).

It's not McIntosh snobery, its just comparing apples to oranges.

his response was pure snobbery. Tell me how it wasn't? Reminded me of Thurston J Howell the Third........

I have compared Mac to Yammie. Spent my own money on it too.

I now have lots of Yamaha in my rack, and no Mac. I even sold my MC225 after only a few months of owning it.

The Mac 1900? I preferred my CR-1020.

The C712 I had was grainy as hell. My Grounded Grid, even my Promitheus sounds much better. The phono stage on my C-2x is better, too.

Keep your mac stuff if it makes you feel better to be in that country club, but its not for me.

Blanket statements about brands of gear come across as inflammatory, and aren't so helpful to the OP. I've owned a bunch, and settled on the Macs, but tend not to call other folks' stuff names -- it's just not good manners, IMHO. What cmb3366 said is quite correct: there aren't a whole lot of bad McAmps. Most brands make an awful lot of garbage, and a very few good offerings -- Japanese manufacturers included.

Anyhow, if the OP has a chance to audition it, he should; it's the only way that you ever know these things for sure. :thmbsp: Glad you are enjoying your gear, BTW -- Yamaha did make some nice things.

his response was pure snobbery. Tell me how it wasn't? Reminded me of Thurston J Howell the Third........

I have compared Mac to Yammie. Spent my own money on it too.

I now have lots of Yamaha in my rack, and no Mac. I even sold my MC225 after only a few months of owning it.

The Mac 1900? I preferred my CR-1020.

The C712 I had was grainy as hell. My Grounded Grid, even my Promitheus sounds much better. The phono stage on my C-2x is better, too.

Keep your mac stuff if it makes you feel better to be in that country club, but its not for me.

I wasn't talking so much about personal preferences for a given sound as I was about overall quality, longevity, and value. With Mac, you don't have to sort the wheat from the chaff, they hold their value, and Binghamton's always got your back if something should go haywire even 40 years down the line. Not so with other brands IME, and that's what sets them apart, and makes them such a great buy if you can get into it and like the sound.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking so much about personal preferences for a given sound as I was about overall quality, longevity, and value.

understood. And I also said that I put the yamaha products of that era right up there in quality, longevity, and value too. See if you can even locate a B-2 or B-2x or B1/UC1 for sale. Same with a C-2x. If you can find them, they are holding their value right up there with the three Mc pieces I bought and sold.

This conversation is exactly as I expected... the Mc responders are not even investigating the other side of the discussion. They can't believe there is anything built as well, or that people actually prefer, over their precious blue meters.

IMG_0804.jpg

My opinion is that Mac stuff is very good stuff and it sounds good, but I have some pieces that mcintosh cannot compare to.

Back
Top Bottom