Kenwood DP-850 CDP......

SteveinAlaska

...Value Village find. Used my senior citizen day :D discount and got it for $5. Finally found a ceedee player thats not a multiple disc player is the thing with me. Opened it up-really clean inside. Put in my system, sounds good. Just a question to those familiar with Kenwood gear, where does it fit into the picture as far as cd players go?

The DP-850 is a low- to mid-end unit from the mid-1980s. I've always found the Toshiba transport it uses to be pretty dependable so for $5 you can't go wrong.

It sat below models like the DP-880, DP-990, DP-1100 and DP-3300.

The best Kenwood CD players come out after this lot. In the early to mid 1990s you get machines like the DP-7060, DP-7090, DP-8010, & DP-8020. And let's not forget the 20kg
KENWOOD L-D1

Last edited:
DP 850s came out of the Kenwood Spectrum rack systems and were the lowest priced models they made. Having said that, they also seem to have had the longest life and most of them still work. Sound will be the weak link. I think you will find that a basic external DAC will improve the sound a great deal. I have found that the DAC in my iPhone sounds better than all of my old CD players just due to the DAC

Back
Top Bottom