Help with Kenwood KA-7100

bettsfinn

Hi
I was given a Kenwood KA-701 in great cosmetic shape but not working .
I have recapped a couple of working amps previously with good results so i thought i'd have a go at this.
The first thing i did was to change all the electrolytic caps except the 4 big reservoir caps ,at switch on first thing i checked was dc offset and tried to set the bias , left channel ok, but right channel off the scale, i noticed resistor R64 glowing red hot , after a testing nearby components i found a faulty transistor Q26 and replaced it . Now the bias is correct on both channels @20mv but it blows fuse 3 .If one of you tech guys could point me in the right direction as to what to check next i would appreciate it .

Peter

Hi Pete
Thanks for the reply, all components check out ok ,I compared values with corresponding components on other channel and values are practically identical.
I've gone across the board comparing components and cant find anything amiss

I think i've sorted it :) when i put the fascia panel back on it seems i pinched the cable to the led on indicator, it must have shorted to earth :yikes:

nice one :thmbsp:...that schematic isnt the easiest thing to follow :scratch2:.. i didn't see that far on:D

I was tinkering last night at 1 am when i wrote that last post, it seems i was too hasty :no:. once i'd released the pinched cable and replaced the fuse i switched it on and it came out of protection and i thought it was sorted. This morning the protection relay is clicking in and out and the transistor i replaced Q26 is getting too hot

Q24 B +1.1V C +51.7 E +0.5V
Q26 B -1.2V C -51.4V E -0.6V
Q28 B +0.5V C +51.8V E 0V
Q30 B -0.6V C -51.9V E 0V

I think thats correct ! The corresponding voltages on the opposite channel are identical give or take 0.2v

The same part number, i coudnt find the correct part anywhere else except ebay item no 400360974013. do you think the problem could be with the new transistor ? i had toyed with swapping q25 and q26 and seeing if the problem changes channels, all close resistors are warmer than the resistors on the opposite channel too

Measuring either side of the resistors i get
RE64 -0.78V AND 0.68V
RE66 15.5MV AND 15.5MV
RE70 15MV AND 3 MV
RE72 8.7MV AND 3 MV

I wish i knew enough to know what those numbers mean :stupid:

i forgot re68
also i meant voltages across them . black lead one side and red the other ... i think i can work it out anyway .

i think qe30 is flaky to some degree .. maybe pull it and test it ... or swap it for a new one or swap it with qe29
then again qe26 base is higher than qe24 .. so is maybe either qe26 or something further back ..
what voltage at qe18 qe20 BCE

Last edited:
Hi Pete
Great detective work , I swapped them and its heating the opposite transistor Qe25. I'll get one ordered and let you know how it is when its installed.
Thanks again for taking the time to help me out
Peter

Back
Top Bottom