Puget Sound DIY Meet--August 29th

TerryO

The Puget Sound DIY Get-Together
August 29th, 2015 starting at 10am - on Mercer Island
This is not a contest as such, but rather a "run what ya brung" meet, that is open to all interested parties that would like to display, view or listen to DIY Audio equipment. The event will be held at:

The Mercer Island Congregational Church
4545 Island Crest Way
Mercer Island, WA 98040

A Map and directions may be found at: www.scn.org/scottish/maps/michurch.htm

The meet is scheduled for Saturday August 29th, 2015 starting at 10am for the public. (If you have items to display, setup starts at 9:30am or so). We ask all interested parties that have gear they would like to show to let us know ASAP, in order to know how many tables, etc. we will need. If you bring bookshelf speakers, you may want to bring speaker stands from home. Hope to see you there!

Contact Email: Terry Olson (CornyGuy@aol.com)

Going to try to bring as much stuff as I possibly can, including some DSP active crossover speakers which are my pinnacle project so far.

Going to try to bring as much stuff as I possibly can, including some DSP active crossover speakers which are my pinnacle project so far.

That sounds like a plan! I actually have several projects that I may be bringing. They should be completed in time for the event, unless I get even more lazy than my normal slothful pace!
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

I'll probably just come to listen and gawk. :)

You're certainly welcome, that's what this event is all about. Most of the people that attend either as a spectator or a participant, are interested in exchanging information and ideas. Judging by past events, it's a lot of fun and everyone seems to gain from it.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Ok, just a bit of a preview. I'll be bringing some of my "stuff" for show and tell. Right now it looks like a Passively-Active Linestage, a Tube Head-Phone Amp (& Pre-Amp) and perhaps a pair of speakers or two.

I may squeeze in a few other things before the big day! Anyone else have an idea what they may bring?

Best Regards,
TerryO

Working on some wallmounted speakers which are less than 3.5" thick, using the new Peerless GBS drivers. Also have some different full range single driver speakers I can bring by.

Also could bring two 55 gallon drums of wire offcuts from work. I have speaker wire (10-16 gauge) and lots of ethernet and coaxial wire offcuts and blemish rejects, from 1-4 feet. If people are interested I could provide them for free to pick through. Great for making short ICs or wiring up speakers internally.

Hi Will,

Those wire off-cuts sound like a great addition to a DIY Meet! Thanks!
By all means, bring your projects as well!

Best Regards,
Terry

Last edited:
Hi All,

I was just talking to one individual on the phone that will be bringing a number of items that he has designed. They will probably prove to be quite interesting.

He told me that he intends to bring a pair of self-designed tower speakers, at least one (or perhaps a couple) tube-based amplifiers, a Pre-Amp, a DAC, a Distribution Box and a Phono Pre-Amp.

At this point in time he will remain nameless, by his own request!
Best Regards,
TerryO

This was received this morning on another forum, but I thought perhaps it might be of interest

Originally Posted by g3dahl View Post
I'm planning to bring a bunch of stuff, including my "Beyond the Ariel" loudspeakers. Time to make that U-Haul reservation!

Gary Dahl

Hi Gary,

That will be very cool!

I've heard Gary's system a couple of times and while I haven't heard the latest iteration, it's quite an inspiration to any DIY'er! If you live anywhere near Seattle you may want to show up just to hear Gary's system! It really is quite special!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
I'll try to bring a compact 3-way with series crossover

driver complement - Silver Flute W17RC38-08, Seas 10-FM, Peerless NDT53
compact ported box ~ 18 liters, fb ~ 38 hz

pic (from a couple of years ago at VI diyfest) -

Attachments

• ser3way.jpg
    ser3way.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 27
I'll try to bring a compact 3-way with series crossover

driver complement - Silver Flute W17RC38-08, Seas 10-FM, Peerless NDT53
compact ported box ~ 18 liters, fb ~ 38 hz

pic (from a couple of years ago at VI diyfest) -

Those speakers are the real deal! They look great and the sound is as smooth as it gets! One of Dave's best efforts !

Best Regards,
TerryO

Terry,

I have an amp based built with Dynaco ST-70 components. It is a complete rebuild with only the chassis and output transformers still original. The circuit is a LTP and using UL-to-driver feedback, i.e. E-Linear. Might also have another amp to throw in and a tube line stage.

John

Terry,

I have an amp based built with Dynaco ST-70 components. It is a complete rebuild with only the chassis and output transformers still original. The circuit is a LTP and using UL-to-driver feedback, i.e. E-Linear. Might also have another amp to throw in and a tube line stage.

John

Hope I get a chance to hear something hooked up to your Dynaco rebuild. Looking forward to it. :music:

I received a reply on another forum from Bill Waslo of Liberty Instruments and Speaker Builder fame. While it's not certain yet, Bill is thinking about bringing his Synergy Horn Speaker Design and a pair of Amplifiers.

I hope he can make it!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Just talked with an acquaintance yesterday who has been working on some MTM's. Nice drivers (18Sound midwoofers and Hiquphon dome tweeters) with a 2.5-way crossover. Should be very interesting.

He's planning on bringing them to the Mercer Island meet, hopefully in finished cabinets.

Terry, if they're not finished, I told him you could give him pointers on your famous recipe for the special bondo tone-sauce. :D

Just talked with an acquaintance yesterday who has been working on some MTM's. Nice drivers (18Sound midwoofers and Hiquphon dome tweeters) with a 2.5-way crossover. Should be very interesting.

I should add that he has future plans to augment these with a pair of nice subs to fill in the lower end.

He's planning on bringing them to the Mercer Island meet, hopefully in finished cabinets.

Terry, if they're not finished, I told him you could give him pointers on your famous recipe for the special bondo tone-sauce. :D

Hi Dave,

That's a very nice combo of drivers, absolutely top-level stuff. With a well designed crossover it could be an absolute winner!

Please assure the owner that I'm certainly available if he is in need of "Tone-Sauce" ...........he need only ask!
:D

Best Regards,
Terry

Back
Top Bottom