Any fix for TD-11 input switching problem?

LexDM3

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
EDIT - I went back and carefully checked out my original (good) TD-11 and some of the switching things I thought were wrong on the second unit are true of the good unit as well. It looks like the only issue on the second TD-11 that I just bought used may be a non-responsive Optical input. I took out all of the non-relevant information in this post. I can't edit the title but it should be, "Any fix for no Optical input on TD-11?"
===========================
I have a TubeDAC-11 and love it. (Many thanks to Ian and Rachel for hours of pleasant listening.) I recently bought a second TD-11 from an AK member. He had some issues with it when using the Optical input but it seemed like it might have been a problem with the Optical source. Not so, it seems. This TD-11 works fine on both Line inputs, on the USB input and on the SPDIF input.

The Optical input doesn't work at all. The "Digital" light doesn't come on and there is no sound. I have a known good Optical source and my original good TD-11 for comparison.

I have opened up this TD-11, cleaned up the PCB, inspected both sides for shorts, dirt, etc., and have touched up some solder joints that looked a bit questionable. I also cleaned the Source switch with DeOxit and cleaned the optical input connector. None of this helped at all.

I THINK I'm hearing some different relay clicking sounds between the two TD-11s when I rotate the Source knobs. I think it's time to walk away from this for a while and see if it makes more sense when I get back...

Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be as simple as a bad Optical connector or is it something within the circuits themselves? Could it be a bad relay? I'm an EE and am pretty good at fixing electronics but repair of surface mount chips is probably beyond my skill level and the tools I have. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
EDIT - I went back and carefully checked out my original (good) TD-11 and some of the switching things I thought were wrong on the second unit are true of the good unit as well. It looks like the only issue on the second TD-11 that I just bought used may be a non-responsive Optical input. I took out all of the non-relevant information in this post. I can't edit the title but it should be, "Any fix for no Optical input on TD-11?"
===========================
I have a TubeDAC-11 and love it. (Many thanks to Ian and Rachel for hours of pleasant listening.) I recently bought a second TD-11 from an AK member. He had some issues with it when using the Optical input but it seemed like it might have been a problem with the Optical source. Not so, it seems. This TD-11 works fine on both Line inputs, on the USB input and on the SPDIF input.

The Optical input doesn't work at all. The "Digital" light doesn't come on and there is no sound. I have a known good Optical source and my original good TD-11 for comparison.

I have opened up this TD-11, cleaned up the PCB, inspected both sides for shorts, dirt, etc., and have touched up some solder joints that looked a bit questionable. I also cleaned the Source switch with DeOxit and cleaned the optical input connector. None of this helped at all.

I THINK I'm hearing some different relay clicking sounds between the two TD-11s when I rotate the Source knobs. I think it's time to walk away from this for a while and see if it makes more sense when I get back...

Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be as simple as a bad Optical connector or is it something within the circuits themselves? Could it be a bad relay? I'm an EE and am pretty good at fixing electronics but repair of surface mount chips is probably beyond my skill level and the tools I have. Thanks for any suggestions.

The one time I tried the Optical in on my TD 11 it didn't work either. I just never did need it so I didn't worry about it. It's been sitting in a box for a year now since I put up a Wyred4Sound DSD 2 dac into my main system. I have thought about the TD-11 going somewhere and I'll try it again then.

If the DAC-11 other digital outs are working but the optical isn't, likely it's the optical output part (the black little part you see at the rear channel) has failed. Owners of DAC-11 can contact me from grant fidelity website to obtain replacement parts under warranty, or purchase from us if item is out of warranty already.

I have seen this issue before on certain DAC's (or any device with optical output) - by changing the optical part, the problem is resolved easily. Unfortunately this is not something Yulong factory can prevent - the part was tested during production but overtime it may simply fail or malfunctioning.

Hope this helps.

Rachel @ Grant Fidelity

Rachel, thanks SO much for responding. I know you have a lot going on these days so I really appreciate your taking the time to look at this forum and to respond to me. I sent you a message through the GF site. Peace... --Dan

Rachel, thanks SO much for responding. I know you have a lot going on these days so I really appreciate your taking the time to look at this forum and to respond to me. I sent you a message through the GF site. Peace... --Dan

Dan, I didn't get your email from our site. Can you please resend directly to grantfidelity at gmail.

Rachel @ Grant Fidelity

I assume you have also checked the optical cable to make sure there are no kinks, those cables can be finiky....but I guess if it works in the other TD11, that's not it..

I assume you have also checked the optical cable to make sure there are no kinks, those cables can be finicky....but I guess if it works in the other TD11, that's not it..

Thanks. Same source, same cable, same ambient temperature and lighting conditions, same levels of oxygen, same operator... (Aaah, maybe that last one is the problem!) :D

I am convinced that the fault is in the second TD-11. Rachel is sending me a new connector and I'll post an update when I replace it. Here's hoping that's the issue.

Fixed! It was the optical jack

I bought a replacement optical input jack from Rachel at Grant Fidelity and replaced the original jack with the new one. Everything works well now. Thanks, Rachel!

Back
Top Bottom