Ka 5700

xpert54

Lost in Music
Among my small collection are several Kenwood intergrated amplifiers. The KA 5700 was last used about 5 years ago due to it dropping the right channel to a very low volume. When I turned up the volume the right channel would go into a faint distoration but not get much louder in volume.

Fast forward 5 years. I pulled it out from the closet and hooked a tuner up to it and powered it up and it works perfect... WTH?

When it first dropped the right channel to the low volume and the right power meter would also show low power. I looked thru AK to see if anyone else had had this problem.

I found one post about it and the problem turned out to be one of the two large caps losing value.

So I'll ask this really dumb question. can those things heal themselves over time or is it working ok temporaley and fail real soon again? if that is the problem

Just a SWAG but if it working good now it may have been a phasing problem....Just a SWAG. SOmetime I've found that connection problems can cause a lot of different situations. Like I said. . . just a SWAG. If its working great now, then your golden.

also the switches and pots may need a good cleaning because they could become intermittent.

John M

Last edited:
This is just my $0.02 here...

If the problem existed before (no matter how much time has passed) it will only be a matter of time that, basically the same problem will come back. :yes:

There's also the possibility that ignoring it could lead to other components to start failing as well, if using it?

In the world of electronics components, switches, relays, etc. never :no: really "corrects itself" that's just dreaming and wishful thinking. :scratch2:

As you previously mentioned, you found a thread with basically the same problem on your exact model. I would start there to try and elimate/correct the problem?

That is if you really want to keep that piece of audio equipment?

Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom