Kenwood 700T question

ghbrian

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently brought home a 700T tuner. It is in good working condition, except the dial pointer does not light up. In the below photo it appears that the electrical leads for the bulb are attached to the dial string. What say you, what would be the correct replacement bulb, if it needs replaced?

Attachments

• 700t 1.jpg
    700t 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 700t 2.jpg
    700t 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 36
  • 700t 3.jpg
    700t 3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 31
According to the schematic on fmtunerinfo.com, the pointer illumination comes from two LEDs, one for AM and one for FM. I assume the two LEDs are different colors.

It would be quite unusual for both LEDs to have failed, so if the pointer doesn't light on either AM or FM, I'd be looking for a problem in the wiring leading up to the pointer (which apparently includes the tuning cord), the series resistor that the schematic shows as coming off the AM/FM function selector switch, or perhaps the switch itself.

In the event that one or both of the LEDs are really bad, all I can suggest is to find ones that will fit physically, and adjust the series resistor as necessary to achieve the desired brightness.

A good starting point, if you have a voltmeter, would be to see if there is any voltage between the terminals of the pointer.

Cheers,

chazix

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, I will be investigating your information in the coming week.

Regards

Fixed! The spade connectors on the pointer assembly were corroded. A little cleaning and It is illuminating now.

Back
Top Bottom