AR-303A's - This should get interesting...

SimplySound

Kent Engineering & Fondry
Subscriber
I'm going to site back and watch the action. 8 days and counting! :lurk::beer:

$_57.JPG

I have a pair of the 303s... absolutely no need for a subwoofer with these speakers!

That's an outrageous price. IIRC, Boston had a set of those listed on BarterTown for around $350 for ages with no action. That price is way inflated, of BT folks are cheapskates, or maybe both.

That's an outrageous price. IIRC, Boston had a set of those listed on BarterTown for around $350 for ages with no action. That price is way inflated, of BT folks are cheapskates, or maybe both.

Assuming the bids are all legitimate, the price is not 'way inflated,' that's just what it is right now in that marketplace.

Cheapskates is a loaded term, but those who cruise BarterTown may be, on average, more tight than the wider universe of vintage buyers. But people can be tight if they want to or need to. That's freedom, isn't it?

A pair went very quietly for under 200 a little over a year ago. IIRC there were maybe 2 other bidders and I bid up to something like 170. At the time I kinda felt like a dick, because if it weren't for me he would have had them for I think 60. But, yeah, not feeling so sorry for that guy anymore :D.

From reading, the speakers are probably worth a good percentage of that, in terms of sonic qualities, but replacement drivers will be a bitch to source, and I believe the designer has even acknowledged that drying ferrofluid is an issue with the tweeters. Regardless of the merits of the speaker on its own, I suspect having the AR-3A in the title is what pulled all the attention to it.

I had a lovely pair for a while but I will take my real 3's any day of the week. They were very easy sell, think I got $350 for them a couple of years ago. Paid $200 for them.

Nice Asian kid bought them and I suspect he was going to flip them too for more money, perhaps overseas?

Man.....love those and want. I have the black pair and love them. Sold my AR3's as they can't touch them. But I would love to have a matching pair of these. Never for sale. Bacco had 302's.

A pair went very quietly for under 200 a little over a year ago. IIRC there were maybe 2 other bidders and I bid up to something like 170. At the time I kinda felt like a dick, because if it weren't for me he would have had them for I think 60. But, yeah, not feeling so sorry for that guy anymore :D.

From reading, the speakers are probably worth a good percentage of that, in terms of sonic qualities, but replacement drivers will be a bitch to source, and I believe the designer has even acknowledged that drying ferrofluid is an issue with the tweeters. Regardless of the merits of the speaker on its own, I suspect having the AR-3A in the title is what pulled all the attention to it.

Yep, AR-3a in the title, legitimate or not, is making a big difference I think--along with a killer picture.

Assuming the bids are all legitimate, the price is not 'way inflated,' that's just what it is right now in that marketplace.

Cheapskates is a loaded term, but those who cruise BarterTown may be, on average, more tight than the wider universe of vintage buyers. But people can be tight if they want to or need to. That's freedom, isn't it?

As an avid BT subscriber, I resemble my own remark. I'm a cheapskate! Lol!

Agree, it's a free market, but still....historically, it's over inflated.

1 day left... almost done with my beer! $790 at this point. Wonder if there'll be any last minute activity! :smoke:

Something odd about this sale. 101 bids! Somebody was busy...lol. Big bucks.....let's see if it gets relisted.

Back
Top Bottom