Kenwood 9600 crakel pop

Vehto

I was able to get my hands on a 9600

I deoxit the pots today

I turn it on after about 5 min the left speaker had this loud crackeling sound
real loud.

I turned it off then on again with the volume all the way down it does the same I was using the FM

I turned it off. Any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting this issue? any help appreciated.

First things first...pull the jumpers out between the preamp and power amp and see if the popping stops (turn power off before removing the jumpers).

I'm Not Alone

Please keep us updated if that works for you. Mine is doing the exact same thing and my local repair guy pretty much shot my hopes down for it getting fixed.

Underyones keep an eye on this thread, Echo knows his stuff.

Ok I pulled the jumpers out and yes there is static on the left channel very noisy

Plugged in the head phones same condition on the head phones? (jumpers out)

Thank you Echo for replying I know you are an expert on these units.

update in working on the beasty 9600 pin 5 power pacs checkout at 179 mv both sides

Change the caps on both channels and put new thermal paste on pacs. nothing out of the ordinary except on 220uf was at 253uf all at 0 esr ratings put in good panasonics
re touch some solder joints...?

its up on its side It been running for about 20 min now no issues ...so far ?

Your re-flowing may have solved it.

I've had some that would run standing on one end for top and bottom board access then failed when placed flat for adjustment. It almost always has been a connection issue, either a heavy component, circuit foil trace, or solder joint. The last 6050 I was in had poor connections at the pin/slot connection between the main amp and tuner board, and they flexed just right standing upright to power the FM section and make it work, then died when set down flat. A Pioneer did a similar thing at the regulator transistor connections. A Yamaha did it at the main heat sink/STK module connection, but they are apparently notorious for questionable solder.

Clean off the traces and retouch any suspects.

:dunno:

played on it side till my last post still no crackel or pop hopefully it was a bad solder joint I will test it laying flat for a longer time.

understones may want to check yours too.

I did not change out the 3.3 100v caps did not have a couple on hand at that voltage ce9,10 but I tested them they were ok

Just hoping was not a bad power pack.

Thanks

I may be new at this but I'll try just about anything to get this beautiful receiver going. Nbarber, when I said local repair guy I was talking about John from Northwest Audio Services. Suggestions for good a good parts site?

mine does the same thing. replaced a lot of parts going to replace the ta power pack as soon as i finish a realistic sta-2000 that,s kicking my butt. steve

I've never seen an output module cause this issue. Replacing it would be the last thing I'd do.

Good to know Echo ...ran the 9600 for a couple of days now all seems well.

Rcaman I have a STA 2000D too does not power on might be my next project

yeah the Marantz 2330 is kicking my butt Im stumped giving it a rest to work on other stuff

Echo, I had the same problem with a recently acquire kr-9600 I pulled the jumper and no static. What does that mean. All help appreciated.

So long and many brain cells ago, but I think Echo test is when you pull the Jumpers off then turn on the unit if you don't hear the Crackle then the issue may be in the Pre amp section of your receiver.
Which you can test by plugging in the PreAMP out from your Kenwood to another unit
Main amp in.

But first I would clean all the Pots and switches with Deoxit then test again.

So long and many brain cells ago, but I think Echo test is when you pull the Jumpers off then turn on the unit if you don't hear the Crackle then the issue may be in the Pre amp section of your receiver.
Which you can test by plugging in the PreAMP out from your Kenwood to another unit
Main amp in.

But first I would clean all the Pots and switches with Deoxit then test again.

I have same issues with my Trio KA-9300(aka Model 600), KA-7700D(KA-9100) and KA-9900(KA-907) loud crackling on one channel sometimes, sometimes it lost
one channel immediately after power up or during the hearing session, raising up or down the volume pot. it may cue intermittent but that problem comes back later again.

Cleaning the volume pot. with CRC 2-26 and the normal-separate switch, gain/attenuattor switch etc. do not solve the isues.

After taking out the Protection relay and LS-relay(KA-907) and cleaning the contact points -often very dirty after 30years - with an eraser pencils all problems are gone since there.

So you may cleaning the relay as an trial before checking other components.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom