Pioneer amp...

Mystery

constantly upgrading...
http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4989633805.html

01010_jTCGpKANh23_600x450.jpg

Either M-22, which is 30 watts of Class A goodness or the slightly less desirable M-25 which is a conventional design with more power.

Start sucking up, this one might take a little work.

No model number, no price...I'd complain, but the seller is a girl and might be cute, so I'd make an exception. LOL

Already wrote her, asking for more. Will post if I get a reply. Might have a nephew drive by and take a look.

I'd be on the way over there with a price in mind and cash in pocket. That amp is going to generate some interest, especially with 'make offer' for a price. First guy who gets there with cash may be able to snag it for a reasonable price. If you wait, it's an auction.

Ok but respectfully we are not even sure what it is, so what's a good offer and what is exploitation? And without a reply where exactly on or near Zuni/32nd in Denver are we handing over the cash? Frankly these things rarely work out, but she knows I am interested.

Well, there are no recent completed auctions on ebay for the M-22. One M-25 sold, for $666. You might be able to get the MSRP for both, online.

I would not offer a lot without being able to hook it up to something and make sure it works. Which is hard to do with just an amp, you need a source, preamp and speakers. Tough to price this one.

Thanks agreed on the pricing but good to have a far more knowledgable second opinion, but first she has to contact me. A plus is if Grandpa will speak to me. As I said I take these finds very nonchalantly at this stage.

I would not offer a lot without being able to hook it up to something and make sure it works. Which is hard to do with just an amp, you need a source, preamp and speakers. Tough to price this one.

I'd pack a smart phone, a pair of Minimus 7's (they're good for something), and appropriate cables, and I'd be set for checking it out.

Get a ballpark value for it, consider what you would pay for it if it was broken, and then make her an offer for it at that price. If she doesn't like the price you offer, you tell her without testing it out, you have to assume it will need repairing, and you thought the price you were offering her was a good one for a non working amp of that type.

This is how I bought my three McIntosh pre-amps. The seller didn't have an amp or speakers when I went by because he was getting the 3 systems he had inherited in bits and pieces, so that was how we negotiated. I took a chance and it paid off. The seller actually ended up selling me a few more pieces, mind you without the broken unit discount. In fact, he has given me first dibs if he ever decides to sell his one remaining MC2505. So it can be well worth it to take this tact for both parties.

I wish I'd never seen that amp. Now it's going to haunt me.

I sure hope someone here gets lucky enough to snag it. That way, at least it will stay in the family.... so to speak. :)

Seller just responded with two emails, its a M-22.

Her responses in their entirety...
39 minutes ago..."I got many emails on this thing. It is a M22 I have had offers from 50 to 300 dollars. Waiting to hear from my Grandad"

My response; "Thank you for responding. If it is an M22, let me do some research, but that is a more desirable piece to we collectors. Will you let the first responders (and I'm not sure I am) make a bid? Can we pick up tomorrow since it is late today? "

Her response from 17 minutes ago; "I'm in no hurry and I have to speak with my grandad. I live in Denver, he is in Colorado Springs, the Receiver is still down there anyway. "

So I'm not sure where it will be sold, but if it is Denver and if she will take a bid, what is a fair offer on an untested M-22. My nephew will be picking up so if I was to buy it would be untested...

TIA Mike

If it was put away in a box, I'd say it was well taken care of and most likely works fine. Hard to put a concrete figure on something like this though as it is now a bidding war. Whoever wants it the most will get it... Me, being a Pioneer fan and seeing as these never come up for sale, I'd go as far as $1k untested if cosmetics were great. But value is subjective...

And if it is in Colorado Springs, take the extra 45 minutes and drive to pick it up. Leaves a better impression if you pick it up yourself.

Back
Top Bottom