Myth or not, original Sony Playstation 1 is an awesome CD player.?

S Levi W

String Bender
I have used them before, to good results, what are your experience with them? Is it worth buying for $20 to experiment around with? Another post got me thinking....

Original run of Playstation 1 units were over-specified, and are great CD players. There are a bunch of articles on the web describing the specifics.

I have heard that and I purchased one with that in mind. I mean, we are all looking for the hidden gems and the geek factor is really high on this. However, using the controller with no screen is a bit of a pain and the thing is pretty ugly. It did sound good, but mine has been idle for quite some time now.

CD is not my preferred format but my PS1 with PS2 remote sounds way better than a $20 player has any right to...

Last edited:
I use mine all the time too. I got bored so I broke it down, painted it black and added some feet to it. It sounds great and looks pretty good.

I grabbed the remote and IR plug in thing from the PS2 so I don't have to use the controller. Certainly worth checking out.

-R

I've never been a Gamer, so I never had a Playstation.

But I was into Laserdisc big time in the 90's when they first came out. I finally hooked up the Pioneer Laserdisc a few weeks ago, and it is indeed a magnificent CD player. Too bad it doesn't play DVD. But I do have about 40 Laserdiscs that I have not played since about 1999. I watched "The Eagles Hell Freezes Over" and it was fantastic. Not an HD picture, but the audio was incredible.

I only bring this up because I sometimes see them pop up on CL or eBay for pennies on the dollar. Would be worth snagging if for nothing else the excellent CD player.

I use mine all the time too. I got bored so I broke it down, painted it black and added some feet to it. It sounds great and looks pretty good.

I grabbed the remote and IR plug in thing from the PS2 so I don't have to use the controller. Certainly worth checking out.

-R

This is interesting.

I've never been a Gamer, so I never had a Playstation.

But I was into Laserdisc big time in the 90's when they first came out. I finally hooked up the Pioneer Laserdisc a few weeks ago, and it is indeed a magnificent CD player. Too bad it doesn't play DVD. But I do have about 40 Laserdiscs that I have not played since about 1999. I watched "The Eagles Hell Freezes Over" and it was fantastic. Not an HD picture, but the audio was incredible.

I only bring this up because I sometimes see them pop up on CL or eBay for pennies on the dollar. Would be worth snagging if for nothing else the excellent CD player.

Which model Laserdisc player do you have? I have a Pioneer LD player in the basement that I'm been meaning to audition. Can't remember the model # offhand.

Which model Laserdisc player do you have? I have a Pioneer LD player in the basement that I'm been meaning to audition. Can't remember the model # offhand.

I have the Pioneer CLD-990.

Mine happened to be in storage since about 2000. Hooked it up and it works great. You should try it. If not for viewing a few of your old LD's, then as a CD Player.

I have seen, when traveling, Laserdiscs (the actual discs not the players) being sold inexpensively at places like Half Price Books. The Music Video Concert discs are great on a Laser Disc.

I have two of them, use the better one in my bedroom system. The wireless controller module makes it less cumbersome to use. Skipping from track to track is a little iffy with the wireless, so it's good to use when I'm just going to put on an album and let 'er rip. Sound is excellent. I am using it in combination with a TPA3110 amp and a passive preamp for volume control, with KEF Coda 7 speakers. A nice, unobtrusive setup.

The lasers are quite touchy and if they start to skip, there is an adjustment screw, but it's very tricky to set right. Can be done but kind of a pain.

-R

Question: with the wireless controller, is there a definite way to make it skip from track to track? I think I've made it do that, but it's not as easy as with the wired controller...

CD is not my preferred format but my PS1 with PS2 remote sounds way better than a $20 player has any right to...

Yep. That about sums it up.

-R

Did the absolute same. Mine is rather cute now.

I a/b 'ed against my CDX 1100U Yamaha. It was VERY close.

Question: with the wireless controller, is there a definite way to make it skip from track to track? I think I've made it do that, but it's not as easy as with the wired controller...

Yes, although I forget what key it is off the top of my head. I'll check when I get home and report back.

Back
Top Bottom