Heathkit AS-101's $300 (CALI)

Definitely worth the price of admission if original. Don't see why someone would put Bozak anything in there though...

well -- OK, depending on one's level of charity... I was either partially wrong or just plain wrong :p

To my credit -- my recollection was correct in that the same cabinets were available loaded with either Altec or Bozak drivers.

but

To my chagrin -- the Bozak morph was model AS-102 :p A model AS-101 should contain the Altec drivers & horn.

Scan0030 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

(from a 1972 Heathkit catalog)

Scan0031 by mhardy6647, on Flickr

Had a pair for a few months -- I thought the cabinets were ugly but they were Altec loaded and sounded spectacular

Thanks for the scan,i didn't know Heathkit used bozak drivers.
So maybe what is for sale is really a 102,which would make them worth a lot less i'm guessing.

Either way, if they're stock, they're worth it. Last time I saw the components from a pair of AS 101 (Altecs) on ebay, they went for $850 plus $125 shipping.

I live about 1.5 hours from the sellers. They are definitely Bozak 102s, as the seller sent me internal pictures last night. You never know with these old speakers. Funny they are selling them on ebay for local pickup, but have not posted them on our local Craigslist. If they were Altec internals I would have bought them for that price. I see they posted the internal pictures today.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Bozak morph of these -- the only issue, relative to the Altec morph, would be that they're going to be less sensitive (i.e., the Bozak morphs aren't going to be ideal for,e.g., a single-ended 2A3 amplifier).

Note that there was not very much price discrimination between the two morphs when new.

The one concern I'd have at this late date -- I believe that there's foam damping behind the Bozak tweeter cones that will have deteriorated over the past four-plus decades (with the consequence of making the already somewhat aggressive treble of these drivers even more aggressive). This, as I understand it, can be remediated -- but it is an additional factor in putting a pair of Bozak-loaded Heathkits back into everyday service.

Back
Top Bottom