KR-6400 repair

iamthejeff

I just finished replacing all of the lamps on my recently acquired KR-6400, thanks to dgwojo for supplying the necessary parts.

qyhR5bpl.jpg

One small issue remains. When I first turn on the power, the relay clicks in, and there is no sound (or very quiet sound) until I turn up the volume significantly. Then I can turn it back down and listen at normal volumes.

I cleaned all of the knobs, and switches several times. There are no scratchy knobs. The problem happens whether I use aux, tuner or phono, so I knew it's wasn't dirty RCA contacts.

I've heard of the relay causing this issue before so I went ahead and removed it from the circuit, removed the casing, and used a thin piece of paper soaked with deoxit to gently rub against the relay contacts.

After reinstalling the relay, the problem seems solved (hooray), but I noticed the sound still crackles in and out when I tap the relay with my finger. Is this a bad sign? Should I replace the relay altogether? There is no crackles, static, or any issues if I let it play normally.

The marking on it is Omron Type MY4. I found two equivalents while searching google, one seems to be 3A and one seems to be 5A. Not sure if it makes a difference or if I should even bother.

If it's soldered directly to the PC board, it'll be a MY4-02-DC24. As far as current rating, different mfgr's use different methods of current rating, so different numbers are not uncommon.

Back
Top Bottom