Yamaha CA-2010/1010 temps: share your data!

packrat

Got my CA-2010 back from Brad last week after did a good restoration/fixup job: fully re-capped, new relays, fuse-resistors, critical diodes, and trim pots. I've been using it happily since then. :banana: It's awesome to have a reliable working amp again.

Now, I am not new to Yamaha, the CA series, or the issues these have, but over the years I read many threads on AK about the 2010 and 1010 and a common thing seems to be heat. "they get hot" ...
So here I propose that you measure the temperature of your working CA-2010, CA-1010, CA-1000 or CA-800 (or any other Yamaha integrated with a "Class A" setting, maybe I missed some?). Maybe we can define what "hot" is and isn't, for each of the models. (I found an old thread that spec'd 138F for the 2010 in Class A.)

Here's the results with my 2010.
Unit is on top of a shelf, top fully open.
Room temp was about 75F.
Measured with the probe placed into and touching the top grill.

Normal Mode: 110 F I can easily keep my hand on the grill.
Class A: 130 F I can hold my hand on the grill but it feels hot to the touch.

I used a digital kitchen thermometer probe that displays 4 digits - now how accurate these are is anyone's guess, but it's a start. Measuring at the heat sink would require taking the case off, which would let the amp run cooler, so I figure this is a good (safe) common way to do this.

I'll do my CA-1010 (100% stock and original) in a few days and report back, and maybe add a picture.

Last edited:
I owned a CA-1010 a few years ago that seemed to run MUCH warmer than both my B&K and Onkyo amps. I have also owned a few other Yamaha preamps and integrated amps that ran warmer than other brands.

Ca-1010

Just set the bias in CA-1010.
Temp measured with a probe deep in radiator after 45 minutes of work in class AB
101F
pretty much like body temperature so im gonna spoon with this handsome amp tonight.
Class A messes up everything so im not gonna turn it on ever again, I would like to disable it somehow. The amp runs hotter in AB if you use class A sometimes, messes up bias in normal AB mode.
My CR-1000 runs much cooler than CA-1010, never measured tho. Also draws 2 times less power than 1010 but sounds more powerful than 1010.

Last edited:
sssboa, The Class A should work and not mess up the amp.

I did a second test, with a CD player sitting on top. To keep it simple, I used 4 CD cases (a 4 cm space) to elevate a flat board that the cd player sits on.

Class AB: same temp as before, 110F after several hours
Class A: after 1 hour running, 140F - almost too hot to touch the grill!

As advised, don't place anything on the amp if you ever run it in classA mode!

sssboa, The Class A should work and not mess up the amp.

I did a second test, with a CD player sitting on top. To keep it simple, I used 4 CD cases (a 4 cm space) to elevate a flat board that the cd player sits on.

Class AB: same temp as before, 110F after several hours
Class A: after 1 hour running, 140F - almost too hot to touch the grill!

As advised, don't place anything on the amp if you ever run it in classA mode!

I don't place anything on top of my amps, I did in the 80s :) stacked big piles with equalizer as a separate in the middle :) ClassA will heat crazy no matter what tho.

Rotated my CA-2010 in and getting a reading.

140 degrees Fahrenheit after many hours class A

Last edited:
It's supposed to increase to the bias 10 fold, it's running in class A. The test points are different too.
Please re read the procedure in the sm.

Just set the bias in CA-1010.
Temp measured with a probe deep in radiator after 45 minutes of work in class AB
101F
pretty much like body temperature so im gonna spoon with this handsome amp tonight.
Class A messes up everything so im not gonna turn it on ever again, I would like to disable it somehow. The amp runs hotter in AB if you use class A sometimes, messes up bias in normal AB mode.
My CR-1000 runs much cooler than CA-1010, never measured tho. Also draws 2 times less power than 1010 but sounds more powerful than 1010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top and bottom covers off, rear on the bench, front on a 2x2x8" box (2" up) driving Tympani IVa at 20-50watts indicated 75°F ambient and the heatsinks are 130°F in class AB. There is a heat chimney working and heat in the area can be felt almost a foot above the unit.

but then I am running the unit fairly hard but well within it's SOA, fully refreshed late last year. yum...

OK

Peaking at 100wpc into that 4Ω load and I get 137-143°F across the heat sinks, again the amp is open and the a/c is on now so a bit more cooling but not a lower temp in the crib, just air movement and lower humidity.

Tunes ended, let the amp just sit and in Class AB the sink temps range from 103-107°F with the high temp near the transformer where there is less air circulation. Seems to be working just fine. Since I reseated the outputs when I rebuilt the unit, I have no concerns driving this amp as if it were young and in the hands of some college party animals.

Last edited:
Ive been running my CA-1010 in class A for over an hour now at a volume of 1, it has maintained a tempurature of 49°C in a 15°C room.

Picked up a CA-2010 yesterday, running it in class A last night it got up to 59C, room temp was 19C. Quite a bit higher than my 1010, but that one has issues so maybe isnt running at full capacity.

I took a dual 12 volt fan from an old computer, wired it up to a USB cable, it runs at 5 volt nice and quiet, plugged a USB brick into the switched outlet on the 2010 and now its been running at 41.5C for an hour, room temp 18C.

Back
Top Bottom