Benchmark AHB2 Power Amplifier

i wish it was at a lower price so i could buy it. read a few comments about the dead quite background noise and dynamics made me search for a price....ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get it on a home trial . I would give it a try
The specs look awesome .

it retails for about $4400 australian here. wife wasn't happy when i was about to buy a 2nd hand $2000 power amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heard it -liked it

Heard it at Axpona Chicago this spring -very nice . I've owned a DAC-1 for 5 or 6 years -excellent piece and listened to the latest DAC about a month ago in my system (HDR-2 something ?) -guess what I'm saying is their stuff in my limited experience sounds very good ,looks very good when you pull the covers off and has a reputation for reliability.In a relatively short listening session -it seemed well worth the selling price to my ears.

I've been considering one since I purchased their DAC2-L preamp/DAC. Problem is, though, I've got plenty of good power amps already and just need to bring myself to selling off some of them.

The 30 day trial is an excellent method of getting it into the hands of the guy who'll likely not return it. That's the experience I had the DAC2-L.

Cheers,

David

Not that it is the best place to get info but there is a bad user review of this amp over at the asylum. Hard to read because 2 or 3 members are arguing about random stuff that really does not fit the thread.

They're a lot of BM fanboys out there (I'm one), on the other side, there's a number who love to trash BM. Voltaire said 'the best is the enemy of the rest'

I'd briefly heard one at the Newport Show last year, it sounded good but having other priorities and too many amps, I really didn't pay close attention. It looks rather compact which is good but expensive in a watts per pound sort of way. It also had speaker connections I'd never seen before. I'm a 5 way binding post kind of guy so that gave me pause. A BM fanboy who's opinion I respect really liked it though.

They also have some new compact speakers out which I'm very interested in hearing.

It's called speakON connectors. Lot of pro amps been using them since like late 90's/early 2000's...wonderful connectors, ease of use, ease of wiring, high current capacity of 40a and pretty much idiot proof.

interesting, but a switching power supply?

It's more common nowadays. Lot of pro gear was first to make complete switch. Qsc and crown uses a combination of class a/b output stages with switch mode power supplies. If designed correctly a switch mode power supply can perform just as well or better than a linear power supply. Also it helps reduce weight a bit.

LOL - yeah - These also have a switching PS - Levinson 53's

1212levin.promo_.jpg

They use linear power supplies and similar class I output stage to crown's patent class I/bca tech used in the k series, ce4000,cdi, upper end CTS, top end xti 6002,i-techs,ect. That Levinson probably more similar designed to the k series of crown cause the k series also used heavy linear supplies even though they had a unique switching output stage.

I have had the Benchmark AHB2 for some time and could not be happier. This was really an eye opener for me. I was a dedicated tube guy until I spent time with this amp. Its not as if I hadnt given ss a go - in fact I had tried a number of solid state amps but none stayed in play for more than a week - that is until this arrived. If someone is looking at amps in this price range or for many times more than this costs - you owe yourself to give it a listen. Yes it lives up to the out - a - sight specs - but it sounds even better! I am currently pairing it with a Benchmark DAC2 as the pre -amp and am using a tube (george wright) phono stage. The amp has three gain settings allowing it to be used comfortably with virtually any pre amp. I have used it with a couple of tube line stage pre amps and it is pairs marvelously. Having said that, it certainly doesnt need to be tamed with a tube pre.
JMHO

Josh

I have had the Benchmark AHB2 for some time and could not be happier. This was really an eye opener for me. I was a dedicated tube guy until I spent time with this amp. Its not as if I hadnt given ss a go - in fact I had tried a number of solid state amps but none stayed in play for more than a week - that is until this arrived. If someone is looking at amps in this price range or for many times more than this costs - you owe yourself to give it a listen. Yes it lives up to the out - a - sight specs - but it sounds even better! I am currently pairing it with a Benchmark DAC2 as the pre -amp and am using a tube (george wright) phono stage. The amp has three gain settings allowing it to be used comfortably with virtually any pre amp. I have used it with a couple of tube line stage pre amps and it is pairs marvelously. Having said that, it certainly doesnt need to be tamed with a tube pre.
JMHO

Josh
Now, why did you go off and do that? That glowing report just had me check my bank account. I am soooo afraid that I'll try one on their 30 day trial and not return it. I've got wayyy too many power amps now. I should get off my butt and post a few things in Barter Town, no?

Glad you're enjoying the amp, too. I'm clearly a candidate.

Cheers,

David

I would feel awful if I were not positive that you would be getting hours and hours of sublime enjoyment. So sorry I don't feel guilty!
If you do try the free trial I would love to hear your impressions!
Good luck!

Latest issue of Stereophile gave the the Benchmark AHB2 a class A rating. The other amps in their class A ratings cost 10s of thousands of dollars more than the Benchmark.

We're Benchmark dealers and have one system dedicated to the AHB2 amp and DAC2. Very nice sounding gear and the numbers are hard to beat. We've been talking with the owners about an AK open house with Benchmark demo's and Q&A with the owners. If AK members are interested, we could set it up.

Just got mine today. So far, I'm very, very impressed. I'll start a new thread with a review once I've got more listening time in. But I can tell you right now, the 30-day trial is a moot point - this is not going back.

Back
Top Bottom