Little Problem With A Little Bear P3

dc270

Now Off the Reservation
Did some investigating on my newly repaired Little Bear P3 preamp. I replaced the cracked top and bottom plexi-glass pieces was all.

I notice the gain is set pretty high from the get go- the recommendation sez to C/O the two 260 k ohm resistor, next to the volime controls to 3.9meg types.
Would you know which resistors these are, the ones closest to the end of the board or the next set behind them?

Also- I am not wild about the volume pot used, is there a better type one could use- if so what kind/type/spec would you suggest?

The rest of the pre I can live with, and even in it current form is a lot of fun to listen to, one of the nicer/ cheaper tube things have used!

Appreciate!
DC

What exactly is a Little Bear P3?

Any more info on it, pic's, schematic or other?

What exactly is a Little Bear P3?

Any more info on it, pic's, schematic or other?

Sorry for not being clear, it is a 3 tube pre-amp made in China. While it sounds pretty good in its own right, it does have a quirk or two. One was the volume gain! Since I lpost this problem I have founf the work around solution to get it better balanced with a couple resistor change outs by the volume pot to 3.9Meg ohm types.
As for a better volume pot it is still unresolved.
Sorry no schematics to offer......
DC

ALPS pots (available from Mouser) are probably better, just measure what you need.

You may also want to consider different tubes to alter gain levels if that is your primary issue.

ALPS pots (available from Mouser) are probably better, just measure what you need.

You may also want to consider different tubes to alter gain levels if that is your primary issue.

I have some extra tubes I tried that give me a "tonal" improvement- had little to help the volume gain,I had forgot about Nouser- will need yo find the spec on the current pot
Thanks
DC

Back
Top Bottom