Source for PIO caps?

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all,

working on a pair of Wharfedale W70Ds and I'm assuming they probably need a recap (they definitely need new tweeters, but the other drivers all make noise. However I'm assuming the original caps are due for replacement.) Apparently people who have played with these before really like PIO caps over polypropylene types like the Daytons that I've been using in my other speaker projects. I don't know if I really believe that, but there seems to be such a strong preference that using PIOs would actually increase resale value should things come to that (and I hope they don't!)

I have seen plenty of 4uF Russian PIOs on that auction site, but I need a 16uF as well for each speaker and don't see those as readily available. Does anyone have a good source for these so I can go ahead and get my parts ordered so I can hopefully get these together next weekend?

thanks!

by big ass oil caps you mean something like a motor start cap? Would those work OK? Looks like most of the ones available are polypropylene though so at that point I might as well get Daytons, or am I missing something?

For the 4uF, I'm assuming that the Russian OMBG-2 would be acceptable?

I am inferring that you are suggesting using all OMBG-2 and making a 16 by paralleling a 10, 4, and 2uF cap?

Ah, didn't catch that they had 6uF in a search.

That might be the trick, I'll have to do a search later when I'm not being paid to do stuff and see if I can get all three values from the same seller. Thank you! :thmbsp:

I know this is probably silliness but I've seen so many posts regarding PIO being better than polypropylene in Wharfedales that even if it is psychological using PIOs probably adds value and gives the impression of having been "done right." (of course, the speakers that I've used polypropylene in sounded dull and flat before recapping so I have no idea if they might not sound better with some PIOs in those as well.)

Hi all,

working on a pair of Wharfedale W70Ds and I'm assuming they probably need a recap (they definitely need new tweeters, but the other drivers all make noise. However I'm assuming the original caps are due for replacement.) Apparently people who have played with these before really like PIO caps over polypropylene types like the Daytons that I've been using in my other speaker projects. I don't know if I really believe that, but there seems to be such a strong preference that using PIOs would actually increase resale value should things come to that (and I hope they don't!)

I have seen plenty of 4uF Russian PIOs on that auction site, but I need a 16uF as well for each speaker and don't see those as readily available. Does anyone have a good source for these so I can go ahead and get my parts ordered so I can hopefully get these together next weekend?

thanks!

Grainger supply

http://www.grainger.com/

Browse the online catalog.

Picked up 10uf PIO motor runs for about $10.00 each.

Back
Top Bottom