IPOD Dock

wlgrant6

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
This may be out of place in a mostly vintage audio forum, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I am currently using a Pure I20 digital docking station in order to use an Ipod for music storage and as a dac to feed one of my systems. I have been pretty satisfied with it, and have a second system that I would like to use a similar docking station with so I can simply switch the Ipod to the second system. Just checking my options to see if anyone else is using a similar docking station that they would recommend over the I20, or if am better off just getting another I20. Bill

If you aren't satisfied with the Pure i20 you can always use an outboard DAC paired with it. It's not bad as it is but for docking with an Apple device it's hard to beat. Even the newer Lightning equipped devices can be used with a small, inexpensive adapter from Apple. I use it with my newer phone, older iPod, and an iPad to stream Pandora.

I use an Arcam drDock in my vintage system and enjoy it. I've heard nothing but good things about the i20 but haven't heard one myself so I can't compare. The Arcam sells for around 300.

A cheaper option...you could get an Apple dock (around 30 I think). Using it's "line out" you would bypass the iPods volume control (not a bad idea) but it doesn't have a built in DAC so you would be using the iPod's internal one. I found the DAC inside the iPad and iPhone to be decent enough, don't know how the iPod's are. Good luck.

I really have no need to go wireless with the ipod. It has to sit somewhere, so I see no need to put an extra link between it and the Ipod dock. Actually I have been satisfied with the Pure I20, and before I ordered another one for the second system, I was just exploring my options to see if there was something out there in the same price range that might be better. The Arcam drDock looks pretty good, but the cheapest that I see it for is $180 with shipping. Quite a bit more than the I20. Bill

I've been using the TEAC CDP-650 single-CD player with front-panel USB and support for iPod. With USB I can connect my iPod Classic or my iPhone 6 and use the TEAC's remote to control either. The TEAC has great Burr-Brown DACs and a good transport and can be bought for under $140 (was $125).

Another thought. Does your main preamp (whether stand alone, in an integrated amp or in a receiver) have multi zone capability? If so, you can run a pair of interconnects from the zone 2 output of your main amp to an input on your second amp. If not, you could use a tape output (for recording). This way, you could just leave the iPod in one dock and play it through either or both systems. I use zone 2 and turn off the main zone when I go to bed.

I have used the Pure I20 for about three years and am very satisfied. At its price point it really is tough to beat. To gain any significant improvement would require a pretty significant investment.

There is a Pure I20 for sale in Bartertown, upgrade to subscriber status for access.

Well, I don't think I want to add another CD player, so doesn't look like that is an option. Currently I have the I20 on a spec 1 /spec 4 setup, and the other system is using a Pioneer SX-1050. At this point it is looking like another I20 for the SX-1050 will be the best way to go. I'm not hearing about any docking station that would be as good or better than the I20 anywhere near it's price.

This may be out of place in a mostly vintage audio forum, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I am currently using a Pure I20 digital docking station in order to use an Ipod for music storage and as a dac to feed one of my systems. I have been pretty satisfied with it, and have a second system that I would like to use a similar docking station with so I can simply switch the Ipod to the second system. Just checking my options to see if anyone else is using a similar docking station that they would recommend over the I20, or if am better off just getting another I20. Bill

I have two...love'em:music:.

I use a Nuforce Icon Ido and love it. What I really like about it is it's versatility. Originally purchased it to use as a headphone amp but found it to be useful in so many other ways. I've used it as a dac for the ipod feeding my bedroom amp with it's variable preamp out. I've also used it to feed the main system dac with it's digital out.
Don't think it's in production anymore but can be had for $100 or so used. Worth a look.

Well, I don't think I want to add another CD player, so doesn't look like that is an option. Currently I have the I20 on a spec 1 /spec 4 setup, and the other system is using a Pioneer SX-1050. At this point it is looking like another I20 for the SX-1050 will be the best way to go. I'm not hearing about any docking station that would be as good or better than the I20 anywhere near it's price.

Fine, if you want to be stuck with the 30-pin interface or clumsy adapters for the rest of your days. The USB on the TEAC makes things so much easier to manipulate and doesn't work for just iPods. It also bypasses the iPod DAC. The cost is about $35 more and you get a fine CD player, to boot! Just my suggestion. The Pure is a nice unit but limited in its application.

I have two i20's as well. One feeding a Sansui AU-9500, the other feeding a Sansui AU-717 through a Schitt Bifrost. They are great.:thmbsp:

Fine, if you want to be stuck with the 30-pin interface or clumsy adapters for the rest of your days. The USB on the TEAC makes things so much easier to manipulate and doesn't work for just iPods. It also bypasses the iPod DAC. The cost is about $35 more and you get a fine CD player, to boot! Just my suggestion. The Pure is a nice unit but limited in its application.

So I am a little confused here. How am I going to use the ipod with the TEAC without using the 30 pin connector on the Ipod?

I had an i20 for a while and it worked well, did the job.
I wouldn't buy another though. Look for an airport express.

I'm using a Teac DS-H01 iPod dock with built in Burr Brown DAC . sounds very nice to me, not sure if there is any difference over the Pure....the cost of the Pure is hard to beat though, I paid 239 bucks new from a dealer for the Teac. It also takes big rca cables without interference and an iPad also fits comfortably on it too.

I had an i20 for a while and it worked well, did the job.
I wouldn't buy another though. Look for an airport express.

I'm not familiar with this unit. Could you give a quick explanation of how this and the Ipod and my analog preamp go together/work? Tnx

So I am a little confused here. How am I going to use the ipod with the TEAC without using the 30 pin connector on the Ipod?

You use your 30-pin cable but you plug the USB end into the TEAC's front-panel USB port. You can plug nearly anything USB into the port including later iPhones with Lightning connectors or even USB thumb-drives with music files. iPods and iPhones will charge while playing, just like the Pure. There are no current products using the 30-pin Apple connector, while USB seems to be a common denominator for many brands, at least for a while!

I'm not familiar with this unit. Could you give a quick explanation of how this and the Ipod and my analog preamp go together/work? Tnx

The Airport Express would plug into your pre using an RCA cable (or toslink if you have a more modern unit). Your iPod/iPhone connects to the AE via your wifi using AirPlay. iPod stays with you while you listen, so you can change volume or tracks from the comfort of your Lazy Boy!

Back
Top Bottom