V-fet amplifiers - yamaha b-2 v sony ta-n7b

Fez, I always enjoy reading your reviews - the comparison of the CA-1010 and A-S1000 you did helped me quite a bit in deciding to purchase of the 1000 for my office rig. Good luck on the speaker search and enjoy those fine amps!

Why thank you so much. And I notice you are the owner of a lovely new A-S2100. I sold my A-S1000 and I missed it too much I just bought another one. In black this time to match the CD-S1000. Crazy stuff. I'm also going to have a look at the A-S2100 this week looking forward to seeing the beast in the flesh :)

Why thank you so much. And I notice you are the owner of a lovely new A-S2100. I sold my A-S1000 and I missed it too much I just bought another one. In black this time to match the CD-S1000. Crazy stuff. I'm also going to have a look at the A-S2100 this week looking forward to seeing the beast in the flesh :)

Yes, and the 2100 is magnificent! I like it better than my previous Luxman L-507u - smoother and more musical but just a tad bit less dynamic. Yamaha did good...list price of the Luxman was $7500 while the Yamaha is $3400 (U.S.). A great value IMO. I discussed the A-S2100 here.

Let us know what you think of the 2100.

I have a pair of B-2's that just might get buried with me. That said, the Sony is as attractive an amp as I've seen - also none of the funky Yamaha push button switch issues to deal with.

Sony TA-N7 V Yamaha B-2 == Redux ==

Following the purchase of my new pair of speakers, these two amplifiers are going to have a rematch shortly.:smoke:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 125
I have made a few changes since I last had these two power amplifiers out and playing. I had a chance to do a listening comparison today.

preamp is a Musical Fidelity A3cr;
source is a Yamaha CD-S1000 SACD player;
speakers are Orpheus Apollo V1.

I played both amps for a few hours each, one hour of warm up, and one hour of listening.

First == Yamaha B2. - It is an authoritative amplifier.

There is a lot of grunt, plenty of power. It "feels" more powerful than the Sony, even though both amps have the same 100watt rating. Midrange is quite forward and very good, bass is deep, good, tight and controlled. The B-2 throws a BIG soundstage, and has excellent imaging and separation.

You need to pay particular attention to the surrounding components with the B-2. The B-2 does sound very fine, however perhaps more system synergy is required. I still think, the best I have heard the B-2 was with a tube preamp. That's does not mean the B-2 is not a brilliant performer, just for my tastes the tube pre brings a different yet more musical experience with the B-2. Something like an Aesthetix Calypso line stage preamplifier I imagine would be stunning with the B-2.

Second == Sony TA-N7B - Amazing sounding amplifier.

This amplifier just works better in my system than the Yamaha. It demonstrates superb control, and delivers truly composed power delivery through the entire audio spectrum. Perhaps the Sony just loves driving the Orpheus?, as the speakers sound so nice with this amplifier. The preamp is a lovely match also. It is not as forward in the mids and highs as the Yamaha, the B-2 seems 'brighter" when you put it into the system. Perhaps as the Sony has cascode v-fet + bjt's it is more forgiving with respect to preamplifier choice. The A3cr works brilliantly with the N-7B

Both amplifies are quite complex in design. Both amps demonstrate exceptional linearity, speed, performance, great dynamic range, yet both have a unique tone and richness you only get with these types of amplifiers.

Music --
Mark Seymour - Daytime and the Dark
Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley
Mighty Sam McClain - Give it Up to Love
Mike Oldfield - The Songs of Distant Earth

attachment.php

Attachments

• vfets.jpg
    vfets.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 71
Why not throw another VFET power amplifier into the mix? This Victor JM-S7, once restored will go up against the Yamaha and the Sony. ;)

jm-s7-1.jpg

Nice! Like that industrial looking design.
Where did you find the Victor? Which VFETs does it use?
Any design secrets compared to the Sony & Yamaha?

A quite rare, made in Japan - for Japan - this Victor, no export designations. Purchased from there earlier in the year. Contains 2x4 NEC Vfet devices. Same devices as used in the ultra rare Sansui BA-1000 power amp. However the NEC's in the Victor are the "A" version and there are two more pairs.

Hoping to get this restoration finished by early 2016...

More information here >> http://www.thevintageknob.org/jvc-JM-S7.html

Both great amps but I give the Sony the nod with the slightly higher damping factor. The B-2 is still my favorite Yamaha amp

Hello Mr.Fez
as happy a owner of a JM-S7 enjoy alot the great Soundstage the JBLs deliver but I'm abit worried about the thermal situation when checking few days ago the NEC Output Transistors
The right channel NECs are moderate body temperature the left channel are pretty hot guess about +55-65+Celsius
can you share experiences with your work on your JM-S7 as im sure you did a great job do you have any helpfully schematics (share?) or did all by explore and your skills working with this sort of Audio equipment?
Anyways im sure my JM-S7 needs an overhaul and adjustment to make sure its working as it should next decade or so
Thank you in advance for a reply
Cheers Wally
:beerchug:

Back
Top Bottom