Infiniti SL40 Speakers

alexkerhead

To High For Infinity
These are my first decent infinitis, and I am looking forward to some extensive testing. I am interested to know, however, if anyone else has a pair, and what their impressions were. Maybe what kind of amp worked best, and what-not. I would appreciate any information on these. :)

infinity_sl40_speakers0.jpg

infinity_sl40_speakers1.jpg

I haven't seen those before... is that an 8" passive and a 6.5" mid/woofer?

Just give feed them with something that has some good clean power and they should be happy.

You could try upgrading the internal wiring sometime with a good solid core wire to improve the sound a bit, and try getting some raw cotton pillow fill from a fabric store... the unbleached chunky stuff to use in place of the synthetic stuff.

From the Infinity website:

Power Rating: 20 - 150 watts/RMS into 6 ohms
Frequency Response: 52Hz - 20kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies): 3.3kHz
Sensitivity: 92dB (2.8V/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Woofer: 6.5" polypropylene
Tweeter: 0.75" ferrofluid cooled polycarbonate
Bass Radiator: 8" polypropylene

I'm guessing that these are from the early- to mid-90's. Judging by their sensitivity and frequency response, these should not be a real tough load to drive and are probably not near as sensitive to amplifier selection as the Reference- and Kappa-series speakers from the '80's. These should work just fine with about any receiver or amp.

From the Infinity website:

Power Rating: 20 - 150 watts/RMS into 6 ohms
Frequency Response: 52Hz - 20kHz (+/-3dB)
Crossover Frequency(ies): 3.3kHz
Sensitivity: 92dB (2.8V/1 meter)
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Woofer: 6.5" polypropylene
Tweeter: 0.75" ferrofluid cooled polycarbonate
Bass Radiator: 8" polypropylene

I'm guessing that these are from the early- to mid-90's. Judging by their sensitivity and frequency response, these should not be a real tough load to drive and are probably not near as sensitive to amplifier selection as the Reference- and Kappa-series speakers from the '80's. These should work just fine with about any receiver or amp.

Bought my parents a pair of these while in college. Early-mid 90s is right, probably 1994 or so. Not bad speakers, step up, IMO, from the SM series, but certainly no Kappas.

Very nice find & speaks you got there, Alex!
I had a chance to get a mint pair for $40 & passed. Now I dred I did so in seeing yours.
They like power, so for me a good starting point is around the 50-60wpc range.
Hope you enjoy them & I envy you so much! :thmbsp:

Rome

Thanks Rome! They are happily doing duty as the front speakers in my TV room surround sound system!

alexkerhead
I just this morning brought home a set of SL40. Replaced a set of the Smaller Advents with the Infinitys and am favorably impressed. Let them play for about 30 minuets and they settled in nicely.

Infinity SL40 front side.jpg

Infinity SL40 grills off.jpg

Enjoy, Brian

Attachments

• infinity SL40 grills on.jpg
    infinity SL40 grills on.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
sl-40

I have a set of infinity sl-40's and they are a great sounding speaker.very crisp but nice full range sound. I dont know where your getting your prices, $40?! etc... I have seen these average at about $200 a set no less and worth every penny.I have put the sl-40's against some bose 301 & 4.2,advent loreate, yamaha ns-555,boston acoustic cr-7's, klipsch bookshelf and the sl-40 just outperformed them all. I just love the sound you get from them. plenty of bass and with a sub its scary. the advent loreate's sounded close to the infinity's and the boston acoustic's matched their clarity but not their low end. selling most of my speakers,but keeping the sl-40's

Back
Top Bottom