JBL 4430 speaker connections - bare wire only?

BruenoB

If I do not want to replace the original speaker connectors on my 4430s, is the only connection option bare wire?

If so, I assume bare 10ga. Is the best I can do?

Are you able to get 10-gauge wires into those tiny holes? I would not have thought so, although you could drill the holes out to enlarge them.

Another option is these pin thingies:

29782a.jpg

0512D01.jpg

I have pins now but didn't really think the connection was all that good?

I don't really want to modify them as I'm afraid it will diminish their value.

If you have those STUPID push connectors many JBLs came with, have no fear.
Anyone should be comfortable installing decent 5 way banana connectors in their place.

Oh I CAN, its not that. It's if there is an advantage and will swapping them from original devalue them?

In truth, I think bare wire might make a better connections than pins. I think that with clean stock push terminals and fresh wire your connections are OK on the stock terminals.

Although, as a general matter, I have not seen JBL values being affected by upgraded binding posts. Many of the L300s that command top dollar on eBay have upgraded binding posts but are otherwise stock. However, the upgrade is a bit of work on the 4430s since you have to take apart the crossovers to some extent and get behind a lot of wires, deal with clearance issues, mounting hole size, a thin plastic mounting panel, etc.

You can buy new OEM-style ones here:

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/product/LL_JBL_Compression_Drivers/JBLT.html

They look like this:

push-buttons_343x343.jpg

I was told as long as that switch is clean it shouldn't aFfect the sound and to be truthful, I'm not wanting to mess with the internals if their functioning correctly.

No pressure; I agree that you should definitely keep them as you please. :yes: But I do think that actually keeping both the working areas of that switch clean is problematic at best.

Last edited:
I use the Monster Quicklock flex pins... Makes it easy to swap speakers out when you have the banana, flex pin, and spade sets. Accepts 10ga wire no problem.

:) ever heard the Guy you chose as your Avatar's Music??
He Performs .
A good song of his is: "I like Whiskey and Whores".
Not half bad actually

I use the Monster Quicklock flex pins... Makes it easy to swap speakers out when you have the banana, flex pin, and spade sets. Accepts 10ga wire no problem.

Wish they'd just make those with banana jacks on the end. I'd buy at least ten pair!

They make them in banana... Or am I missing something? You mean doubles? But if you wanted to go with the same design in just a banana, Sewell makes one called a Deadbolt. Get 12 pair for like $30 on Amazon with Prime shipping if you have that...

Back
Top Bottom