Repair known problem on Carver MXR-130?

EStitt

Everyone-
Having problems with my Carver "the Receiver." Starts distorting after warmed up, sounds like cr*p. I open up the case, see burnt area around 4 bluish transistors on the top circuit panel. Checking around online, I see that its a known problem and there are posts devoted to discussing aspects of the repair. However, there's non step-by-step thread that details the exact replacement transistors, where to get them, what other "tweaks" I need to do as I'm inside the case, etc. Can anyone point me to a thread or online instructions that will take me from point A to Point Z? Thanks much, in advance!
Eric

What other people have done was replacing the resistors with higher wattage, I think they are 2 watt resistors right now??? I can't remember. Anyway, the fix was installing higher power resistors of the same value, and raising them a little farther off of the circuit board. Don't forget to insulate component leads.

I think the resistors might be the only problem, I bet they were just used too close to their max rating... probably saved a dollar per receiver for good ol' Bob ;)

Back
Top Bottom