Preamp with great phono stage

leftside

AK Member
I have a turntable with a Dynavector 20*2L MC cart, a Coincident SUT, a Mac MC2155 and a Mac C34V for my vinyl iistening. I love the sound of this combo, but would be interested in the thoughts of others regarding other Mac preamps with a great, (perhaps better than the C34V) phono stage?

Ideally this preamp(s) should also have the following criteria:
- A 5 band equalizer as I certainly use this feature - or at a minium tone controls.
- Meters would be nice
- Not too concered about a MC input as I have a good SUT.

The turntable was hooked up to my C2300 this weekend, and I did notice a slight improvement. There was a little more clarity to the sound and certainly less noise. The C2300 is dead silent on all inputs when turned up high (and no music playing). The C34V is similarly silent on most inputs, but on the MM input I can hear a little hissing once I turn the volume past half way. This doesn't affect my listening though, as half-way is really loud in my room and I never listen that loudly.

Surprisingly I found the C34V to sound ever so slightly warmer than the C2300. I don't think I'll ever give it up, but you never know....

Seems like the C2300 or C2500 would be the default recommendation (well, for a tubed unit anyway) ... but you're already there! Maybe a C500? either flavor?

Interesting question!

I would suggest you consider adding a second standalone phono stage to your system specifically to provide LOMC capability and variable loading. I too own a C34V preamp and love it, but I do agree that it is slightly warm sounding, but a wonderful match when used with a high quality MM cartridge like my Shure V15 mkV or Stanton 681EEE.

To optimize that nice crisp, clear sound of a LOMC you might want to consider using an active high-speed phono stage that is designed to easily provide all the loading options that is needed to get the best out of your high quality LOMC cartridges.

That way you can keep all the features of the C34V that you value and still fine-tune the sound of your phono stage to provide the performance you need. An added bonus is that you could also run a second turntable and still get the biggest bang for your $$$$. :thmbsp:

My C-34 has added warmth my C-29 didn't have. So I would say a c-34 is closer to a C-28 in that respect. If I were you I would try Dynavector's new Pre pre-amp the P75 mk III and totally by- pass the phono stage of the C-34 and plug it into one of the line inputs.

The C-100 has a Ortophon phono stage built in for MC cartridges. I use mine for MM and am well satisfied with it.

Don't forget the C48. All of the new preamps have adjustable phono loading.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Interesting question!

I would suggest you consider adding a second standalone phono stage to your system specifically to provide LOMC capability and variable loading.
I added a Coincident step up transformer instead. TT->SUT->C34V. Although I did also consider a standalone phono stage.

My C-34 has added warmth my C-29 didn't have. So I would say a c-34 is closer to a C-28 in that respect. If I were you I would try Dynavector's new Pre pre-amp the P75 mk III and totally by- pass the phono stage of the C-34 and plug it into one of the line inputs.
Yes, I like this extra warmth. I also considered that Dynavector instead of a SUT. Maybe I'll see if I can try and demo one again for comparison's sake.

Yes another good option. For my needs though, I don't need the DAC in the C48.

I feel the C48 is the best value for money in the McIntosh range, and underrated.....Its a powerful little package...

The DAC in the C48 is exceptional......I am using the two optical inputs, one from the TV and one from the Apple TV......
Also use the USB input.....

At some point it is very handy to have digital inputs.....

And the phono stage is exceptional, although I am not using it as much as I used to, I will always have a turntable and I have found the phono section n the C48 to be a great performer and very flexible....

If you don't care about MC, why not pick up a C2200 used, or one of audio classics Frank Gow C2200's. It has meters, and tone controls.

Back
Top Bottom