Mac 4100 Phono Stage Stopped Working

BrewerDude

Hey guys,
The phono stage on my Mac stopped working today. I heard a small pop noise while listening to some music and then the volume cut drastically. It seems as if there is no gain being pumped out at all. Any ideas on what the cause is? Also, would it be better for me to just get a new preamp and run through the aux input or just man up and get the phono stage repaired?

Thanks in advance,
Devin

The MAC4100 uses a NE5534an opamp in it's phono stage. Would not be the first time one failed. However a much more common issue is in the power supply, failed caps are common as these receivers are 35 years old now.

The prime failure in the phono section of the 4100 is the FET switch used to change from phono 1 to phono 2, they don't like static discharge.
McIntosh part # 13304200 is a IH5011CPE Intersil part, I normally buy them from the factory.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. This receiver is sentimental as it was my fathers and was passed on to me after his death. I will plan on doing a recap and will go ahead and change the FET switch while I am in there. I know you (Terry) are backed up according to your website and I really do appreciate your expertise.

Are all the ic plug and play on this board. If so my left channel is dead on phono but wks in mono. So that ic701 fet switch is bad? Think Mac has it for 10.00 but might as well change them all?

Back
Top Bottom