New C2500 Preamp

mdewire

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I noticed that the new C2500 preamp is now shown on the McIntosh web site. I downloaded the brochure and owner’s manual. From what I am reading it looks like it combines the C2300 and D100 digital section. It states that it has the better headphone output and improved USB specs. Does anyone know what the MSRP is for this new unit?

I was intending to buy the C2300 but might hold off and get this instead as I listen to digital sources often from my iTunes library with my Apple TV and Oppo player. My digital files are at least CD quality and many are HD Tracks 24/96. However I listen to vinyl records often as well with a collection dating back to the 60s. Since this unit is not available yet I am curious if anyone else is as enthused as I am to buy this new preamp.

Did you read the part about the tubes not being user replaceable? That ought to give the tube rollers a fit! I just wish they gave the unit graphic tone controls like the C48 or 50.

Twii,

Nothing new there. For over 30 years 'no user replacable parts inside' has been standard lawyerease.

thanks,
Ron-C

I thought seriously about the C2500, but, decided on the C2300 for the following reasons.. My main source is a turntable... Digital music is my second source, but, my current sources already have build in DACs, and if I want a great DAC, I will just buy one and hook it up to the C2300. In addition, in 8 years from now, if you want to upgrade, I believe the resale will be better on the C2300... Everyone always wants great all analog tube gear... If the DAC is outdated, it might steer buyers away... Still, with such a great quality DAC in the C2500, this might be a non-issue.. In general, I just like to keep my analog pieces separate from my digital pieces...

Well I went ahead and took the plunge and have it on pre-order from my local dealer. Actually I made the order last Tuesday. Can't wait!

10 years from now the Dacs will definitely be better and maybe you'll want a good C1000T at a great price, too.

10 years from now the software bassed digital engine in the C2500 will be running updated software and still be a top performer. Other DACs, maybe not so much.

Thanks,
Ron-C

That is good to know because my local dealer told me mine that I pre-ordered has shipped and I should be able to pick it up at the store early next week. I will take pictures of the un-boxing and setup. I am so excited as this is my first new out of the box McIntosh unit that I will have. More to follow.

Thanks

It's Here

I received it yesterday and took a few pictures of the unboxing and finally in the Rack. It makes me want to buy a new audio rack design so it can be on top as I cannot see the lighted tubes on the top.

I have tested all of the functions and on this unit and the USB works beautifully. I played a John Coltrane track that I downloaded from HD tracks and the soundstage is full and robust. The file was 192/24 played on a windows laptop using jRiver 17. I think I will now purchase a MAC mini and install it near the C2500 as it does make a difference. I currently use an Apple TV and the best you can get out of it is 48K no matter what file you are streaming. The Apple TV sounds great though and I played the HD Tracks 96/24 Yes Album and the detail and bass is just fantastic. This tube preamp does not roll off the extremes in frequency response in any way. On my Music Hall MMF-7 I am using a high output MC cartridge and it sounds fine on the MM input with the capacitance set at 150.

I tested all functions and found a bug in the firmware in that you cannot select the input that you want to setup in Pass Through mode. I intend to use that function for my home theatre receiver. I called McIntosh tech support and they told me this is a known issue and they are working on a fix for it that should be ready by early next week. The tech "CHinton" that I talked to told me that he will send me a program and an updated firmware file that you load using the USB port. For now I am using AUX for the L/R out of the home theatre with a fixed output that I calibrated.

I am sure the firmware upgrade will correct the problem and so far I am very happy with my choice of preamps and can't wait until it goes through its break in period.

Pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 621
Very nice! :music:

attachment.php

I updated the firmware myself and now the Pass Through function is working. By the way if you ever do this ensure your Windows PC is a 32 bit version not 64 bit. I was lucky. My first try was with my personal laptop that is Windows 7/64 and the drivers did not install for the USB port. While the preamp was still in the firmware update mode I was able to unplug the USB cable and after installing the software on my work laptop that is Windows 7/32 the USB drivers installed. From that point the little firmware update application successfully installed it.

Since then I have been mostly listening to Vinyl and SACDs on my OPPO. The sound is just incredible and I will be spending hours listening to all of my favorite albums. The one the really blew me away was the 200 gram copy I have of In The Court of the Crimson King. I have listened to this record since when it first came out on many systems and the remastered version that came out in 2010 is just unbelivalbe when played on the C2500 MM phono preamp. The sound stage and detail is like nothing I have heard before. I have the Steven Wilson remaster on DVD-A but the vinyl is much better. Highly recommended for you classic progressive rock lovers.

Looks great! I've got a C2300 and upgrading from the stock tubes to Gold Lions was the best bang for the buck system upgrade ever.

I updated the firmware myself and now the Pass Through function is working. By the way if you ever do this ensure your Windows PC is a 32 bit version not 64 bit. I was lucky. My first try was with my personal laptop that is Windows 7/64 and the drivers did not install for the USB port. While the preamp was still in the firmware update mode I was able to unplug the USB cable and after installing the software on my work laptop that is Windows 7/32 the USB drivers installed. From that point the little firmware update application successfully installed it.

Since then I have been mostly listening to Vinyl and SACDs on my OPPO. The sound is just incredible and I will be spending hours listening to all of my favorite albums. The one the really blew me away was the 200 gram copy I have of In The Court of the Crimson King. I have listened to this record since when it first came out on many systems and the remastered version that came out in 2010 is just unbelivalbe when played on the C2500 MM phono preamp. The sound stage and detail is like nothing I have heard before. I have the Steven Wilson remaster on DVD-A but the vinyl is much better. Highly recommended for you classic progressive rock lovers.

Glad to hear this news.

Does anyone know if you can update the firmware using Mac OS X? Or will I have to run Windows from a USB Stick or partition? I have an iMac.

Glad to hear this news.

Does anyone know if you can update the firmware using Mac OS X? Or will I have to run Windows from a USB Stick or partition? I have an iMac.
Most likely Windows only, McIntosh hasn't had any Mac support for prior products. The MR88 requires an old XP machine for updates.

Most likely Windows only, McIntosh hasn't had any Mac support for prior products. The MR88 requires an old XP machine for updates.

Okay, that's easy, I will just load Windows on a USB stick and boot off it. Then load the the Software that way. I guess I could mess around the MEN220 voicing tool while I am at it. Probably not a good idea since I have ZERO education in equalization and DSP set-ups. I just know from experience, which isn't much.

What are you trying to do?

You simply plug and play, there is nothing you have to do with an Apple Mac?

Just make sure your audio Midi settings are set the way you want them.

What and why are you booting off a USB stick, not quite following you there.....

On my C48 I am using a Macbook Pro, I run Audirvana which is integrated with my iTunes library....

I'm trying to get the best sound w/out getting swamped in the technicalities of Power Supply Noise or any other technical challenge.

I'm leaning to an Apple Computer, dual boot with windows, so I can use the MEN220 voicing to and retain the simplicity of my Current OS X, iTunes, iPad Remote and Audirvana. So looking at the cost of an Apple Computer, external thunderbolt drive, and Windows 8 OS. This is about the extent if my tech savvy.

Does a "Windows Based" computer offer the same level of performance and reliability?

Using the C2500, I am seeking other users opinions and success stories.

Back
Top Bottom