MC2205 Headphone jack output power?

deadie

I'm absolutely loving the MC2205 / C35 combo powering my XR50 speakers. What's a real surprise is how stellar the MC2205's headphone output is, when paired with the Senn HD800.

I've spend the past 8 years deep in the headphone world, attending Headfi meets, buying and selling way too much gear. You can check out my "deadie" profile on Headfi to see the various amps / headphones / DACs I've gone through.

Getting back on topic, the MC2205 has amazing synergy with the Senn HD800. It unleashes this can's potential better than every other amp I've ever heard, save perhaps the Headamp GSX-MkII, the Aurelic Taurus II, and Mac's new MHA-100.

It's not just power, the HD800 can be a very unforgiving thin headphone when fed "just power" from strong amps such as the Schiit Mjolnir. What can I say - the MC2205 / C35 combo gives the HD800 the "Mac house sound". Interestingly, this combo isn't great with the Audeze LCD-X. It's a considerably more efficient headphone, but it's a planar driver, and it just doesn't sound "right" out of the MC2205.

FWIW, the C35's headphone output isn't great. Underpowered, not full bodied, not a good driver for the HD800 by itself.

Getting back to my core question -- does anyone know the output power of the MC2205's headphone jack?

I'm absolutely loving the MC2205 / C35 combo powering my XR50 speakers. What's a real surprise is how stellar the MC2205's headphone output is, when paired with the Senn HD800.

I've spend the past 8 years deep in the headphone world, attending Headfi meets, buying and selling way too much gear. You can check out my "deadie" profile on Headfi to see the various amps / headphones / DACs I've gone through.

Getting back on topic, the MC2205 has amazing synergy with the Senn HD800. It unleashes this can's potential better than every other amp I've ever heard, save perhaps the Headamp GSX-MkII, the Aurelic Taurus II, and Mac's new MHA-100.

It's not just power, the HD800 can be a very unforgiving thin headphone when fed "just power" from strong amps such as the Schiit Mjolnir. What can I say - the MC2205 / C35 combo gives the HD800 the "Mac house sound". Interestingly, this combo isn't great with the Audeze LCD-X. It's a considerably more efficient headphone, but it's a planar driver, and it just doesn't sound "right" out of the MC2205.

FWIW, the C35's headphone output isn't great. Underpowered, not full bodied, not a good driver for the HD800 by itself.

Getting back to my core question -- does anyone know the output power of the MC2205's headphone jack?
Resurrecting this thread from the afterlife! Hi @deadie did you get an answer for this question? Interested too

Headphone output is connected through a 220 ohm, 2 watt resistor directly to the power amp output for each channel. Given the resistors' 2W rating suggests it's limited to a watt or so.

Back
Top Bottom