Yamaha r-2000

jammasterj13

I have the opportunity to purchase this receiver at a cheap price.
Just wanted to know if it is any good.

All replies appreciated.

Define "cheap."

I'd say buy it - I have the R-700, and R-1000... the R-2000 is the top of that line. Very nice receiver - wider than standard, so be aware.
The tuners are a bit weird - I think there is a battery that should be changed, but have not really put any time into researching it.

Yamaha-R2000-1.jpg

I'm not real fond of these. They tend to break in weird ways. The tuners get funny when that battery dies and it usually corrodes something. The speaker relay probably needs attention, too.

That said, those have an assload of clean Yamaha power and at that price it is a no brainer BUY!

Cheap as in $55 cheap.

:yikes: WOW!

Buy it already! Ask questions later! It's a fun line - despite the occasional quirk. If you don't like it, sell it to me! I'll double your money - though it looks like shipping might be a problem. :(

I should get around to opening my 700 & 1000 up and checking on that battery... :scratch2:

I did a little more research....

I actually owned that model and stupidly sold it for 75 bucks. I had no idea at the time it had 150 w/ch. It looks like it should have 75 max.

The build quality on the boards and pots is so so. I had lots of cold solder joints and interconnection problems with mine.

Still it's TOTL and POWERFUL. I'd just use the power amp via the main in jacks.

I did a little more research....

I actually owned that model and stupidly sold it for 75 bucks. I had no idea at the time it had 150 w/ch. It looks like it should have 75 max.

The build quality on the boards and pots is so so. I had lots of cold solder joints and interconnection problems with mine.

Still it's TOTL and POWERFUL. I'd just use the power amp via the main in jacks.

I'd have given you $75 for it: :D

I've got one of these with a fan modded in to keep it cool. It's more powerful than any amp I've owned in the past and I really like the quality of the sound, even at low levels. At first there was some static on the line and the right channel would cut in and out, but a little de-oxit on the pots cleaned it up fine.

I fenagled my brother out of the one he bought in Okinawa in 1979, since every time I went to his house it was just sitting there collecting dust. I bought him a new model something or other from BB for $150 or something.
Great receiver IMO, lots of features and really powerful.
$55 is a no-brainer. Get that sucka!

I had an R900 back in college. I did blow a powerpack and had a repair disable the power amp section and for a while used it as tuner/preamp into a Parasound amp

The price isn`t bad, but I never liked this series. I had a R-900 briefly, but it was finicky with the controls and sounded thinner than typical Yammy. I currently have a CR-2040 and R-9 (since new) and both are fantastic units. Hope this one is a good example and you enjoy it.

I was considering the one on shopgoodwill but think I'll pass. Only cause I've had some horrible experiences there. They love the phrase " powers on but could not test further". I guess I'm to believe they just never have any donated speakers sitting around? Just never.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I'm no expert.

This is my second R-2000. I was lucky enough to get them both below $80.

While I love the sound and the looks a lot I had issues on both with the Spatial Expander and the Volume. Brought it to a repair shop in Chinatown (they had a hard time finding replacement parts). Worked fine for a while but after a month or two the Spatial Expander started acting weird and soon after there were random inconsistencies in volume again. At times it just got less loud and the sound was less saturated. Sometimes one of the channels dropped out completely.
I can live without the Spatial Expander but inconsistency in volume is quiet bothersome.
Question: is there a better repair shop in the NYC area? Is it worth giving it another shot? Could I repair it myself (without any experience/knowledge)? Or should I sell it (if so how much can I ask for it)? If I sell it what would be a good, more reliable replacement for the R-2000?

Thanks!!

If you want my honest opinion on this thing.... I think they are the biggest pile of Yamaha crap they ever produced.I have 2 of them and both tuners are toast.Pre amp and amp work just fine but they are very, very, very unreliable. Dump it.:D

Raphaz, could you please give us more information about the repair work you had done on the Yamaha R-2000? What did you have replaced, how much did it cost, who did it?

I've got an R-2000 as well that's been acting up as of late (same symptoms, volume drops, sound becomes thin, etc.). I'd like to narrow down the possible causes, and figure out if/how to fix it, or whether to just pick up a different amp. There's a lot about this unit that I really love, and haven't found an adequate replacement system, so I'm leaning toward fixing it.

Thanks.

Hi Fast4ward,

Any success with yours?

Not for me. That now it makes it three!
I got lucky and snapped a third one for a decent price and it had similar issues.
Something to do with the contacts behind control knobs or something? Not an expert.

Brought it to an expert vintage repair (and former Yamaha rep) I know (great guy/shop) who was very happy to see it and praised it as one of the better receivers ever made. Repaired and fully serviced.

Sorry for the late reply! Wanted to first see if this holds up after repair.

Used it as a backup and now that I run it after a couple months it starts acting up again: Drop-outs, specially when turning volume, balance and other knobs. Same issues. And forget the Spatial Expander, that just never really worked properly. Plus the tuner is a bit finicky/weird.

Avoid!

Will probably bring it in again and report. Hope the warranty will still be honored even though it just run out.
I may just leave it there with the repair shop.
I can't trust this model anymore, as much as I'd like to. It sounds great when it works, super clear and forward. But three times in a row is too much! Even for a backup.

If someone has a better idea on how to fix this baby for good I'd maybe consider it. Not sure. I'd be curious to hear other opinions. But I'm suspicious that this model has a serious design flaw.
Annoying!

Best

Raphaz, could you please give us more information about the repair work you had done on the Yamaha R-2000? What did you have replaced, how much did it cost, who did it?

I've got an R-2000 as well that's been acting up as of late (same symptoms, volume drops, sound becomes thin, etc.). I'd like to narrow down the possible causes, and figure out if/how to fix it, or whether to just pick up a different amp. There's a lot about this unit that I really love, and haven't found an adequate replacement system, so I'm leaning toward fixing it.

Thanks.

Resurrecting the old thread...

I would replace the volume pot and get that Spatial Expander completely out of signal path. Less pots or switches or especially some obscured signal processors in the signal path equals better sound.

Back
Top Bottom