AKFest 2012 SMAC Room System

So if I may recap:
Dennis is bringing Edgarhorns with Heils, jamich and DC are bringing cognac, bellair is bringing his Mopar project speakers, Neuman has been asked to bring lighter fluid.

I guess I could provide some amplification. I only own "soiled state" gear, but my my SAE separates are just sitting. I have a cable for an iPod, too.

I have a stone, fine ingredients, is said to make great soup...I figure if I use that joke from the Stone Soup story every year, I will eventually meet up with the other folks that were watching Captain Kangaroo in 1962....

At first glance this looked like it was going to be about something Machina Dynamica..."I have a stone, that if simmered with some other coloerd stones then bungied to you interconnects makes even smooth jazz albums sound like hard rock".:smoke:

You guy's are shaping up, should be pretty sweet again! (leave my couch)

I'm teaming with Ed/Squidward, and Jim with his bad ass CD-player, maybe a
Newman sighting with his speakers, so we should have a full room there to. ;)

This is coming quick,

One thing we need to make sure to bring,
A LOT of beer, to often late night/morning were "scrounging"..:music::yikes::beer::screwy::ntwrthy: :dammit::headscrat:rockon::bash::beerchug:

You guys wanna play with one of these during the fest?

http://www.furutech.com/a2008/product2.asp?prodNo=374

Its a USB DAC with a phono stage. It also is an ADC, converting phono inputs to digital so you can feed them to your computer and turn album tracks into high res music files. Might require someone to bring a laptop, but if someone can manage that, it might be fun to compare the converted music files to the vinyl source during the fest.

Are we getting a big room again? We always have enough stuff for two setups. There are also two factions of SMAC'ers.....The big speaker/ small amp folks and the small speaker/ big amp freaks. Also if some one needs a good pair of speakers in the other rooms I have last years pair and a pair of Snell's (type C) that I heard are the last design he had done himself before semi retirement.

That looks pretty interesting, have you used it to do hi res ADC conversions?

I have a couple LP's that I would like to covert to DDDigital...

Yessir, that's the reason I picked it up. The finished product sounds pretty darn good to my ear, :thmbsp:

I've converted about 40 or so albums, and I hope to have more done prior to the Fest.

Are we getting a big room again? We always have enough stuff for two setups. There are also two factions of SMAC'ers.....The big speaker/ small amp folks and the small speaker/ big amp freaks. Also if some one needs a good pair of speakers in the other rooms I have last years pair and a pair of Snell's (type C) that I heard are the last design he had done himself before semi retirement.

Unlikely that we will have a large room. And I want to limit gear swapping so the goal is ONE good system. So let's decide on a couple pairs of speakers, then test them out and see which one pair we want.:thmbsp:

It'll also enable us to have a system that folks can count on being set up and playing music rather than a constantly changing collection of gear.

Last time, with all the gear swapping, some folks complained when the system they brought back friends to hear had morphed into something entirely different.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be able to make changes there; just that the MAIN system should be the bones of any future system.

Jeff, what is the timing on doing the comparative listening session? I am planing on having mine assembled by end of month or so.

Jeff, what is the timing on doing the comparative listening session? I am planing on having mine assembled by end of month or so.

That should work out good. I was thinking March. Exact time is up to you since we'll be at your place. Just let me know and we can schedule it so those that want to make it can.

Jeff

Cool. John Greenstreet is helping determine a passive crossover so we only need 1 amp to drive the system. Ron Finch and I am painting the midbass cabs in 2 weeks.

OK, added additional categories to the first post in this thread. We need bunches of stuff!

Please note that we'd like to actually assemble this system and test it out in March, so if you are volunteering equipment essential to the system then it needs to be available for testing in March. Obviously, things like the rack are less important than say an amplifier.

I have an AES/Cary Superamp we can use - 25 watts, can use KT88s, KT90s, EL34s, etc., autobias.

I also have a Jolida JD9 phonostage and an AES AE3 preamp we can use. Opinions welcome.

Jeff

SMAC is in the phone book? And does that trump being in Stereophile? (A few years ago ... :))

I can bring an Arcam CD82 player if CDs are in the plan. Also, I'll bring my Bob Latino ST-120 for tube amplification.

For sonic enhancement (it always works for me), I can contribute Remy Martin 1738 to the system, but I'm unsure which category it might go under ...

:D

SMAC is in the phone book? And does that trump being in Stereophile? (A few years ago ... :))
Doubt that SMAC is in the book. I am not sure why there even is a book any more.:scratch2:
That was meant as a reference to the film The Jerk.

SMAC was in Stereophile? We're somebody...:smoke:

Back
Top Bottom